What's new
What's new

New to metal lathe....question about small diameter rods....

Shigs

Plastic
I'm pretty new to learning the lathe but loving the journey! I have some square rod stock that is 1/4 x 1/4 and 8" long. I'm trying to turn it into ROUND rod, but having a terrible time with it flexing, either by itself in the chuck, or by inserting a live center in the tail end. Is there really anyway to make it work?

I'm pretty new to learning the lathe but loving the journey! I have some square rod stock that is 1/4 x 1/4 and 8" long. I'm trying to turn it into ROUND rod, but having a terrible time with it flexing, either by itself in the chuck, or by inserting a live center in the tail end. Is there really anyway to make it work?

ust one question "WHY ?)
J

Workpiece that small will flex very easily. Might have to extend it no more than 1/2" at a time from the chuck, cut that, then slide the piece out another 1/2" or so. Once the desired length is cut, then extend it full length, support with a center and gently blend with a file. Will be difficult to hold an exact diameter. You could maybe use a roller box tool and get full length in 1 chucking with a stable dimension but thats going to take some fiddling and investment in tooling to get working.

Since your new to the lathe: The only way to do this is to cut 2" at a time with a center and move the work out of the chuck 2" more and repeat until you have cut the full length of the work. Then file, polish and measure; until you have completed the job. There are limits to the forces required in machining. Unfortunately you are fighting mother nature. Go and purchase the 1/4" dia. rod.
Roger

You wouldn't be trying to make .22lr Boolits by chance ?

What lathe are you attempting this on ?

A very basic piece of information not mentioned is: what material is that 1/4 square stock? When you are just beginning, you have to learn a bit about the different kinds of material you may want to use. Wood, plastic, aluminum, brass, cast iron and steel all have very different characteristics. It is basic to know what kind of shape the cutting tool needs to be for different materials. Then you need to know the speed to run the lathe, which is dependent upon the material, the cutting tool and the size of the work. The tool must be sharp and it must he applied to the work at the center height. And a lot more that you can figure out as you go.

Larry

Back