What's new
What's new

New Milling Machine Advice - GANESH ?

scomeau1

Plastic
Still shopping for a great manual milling machine 10 X 54 inch.

I came across this company

GANESH Super Precision GMV-3 10”X 54” Heavy-Duty Milling Machine.

Are these any good milling machines ?

I believe "Ganesh" is an Indian attempt to get into the machine tool business. I once did a web search that lead to an address in Bangalore. I don't think, but can't prove they are/are not a Taiwan or Chinese product. I see no reason either of the two communities would choose that name. It may be as fine as a Bridgepot or other such product. Who knows, it could be a great machine. Let us know if you buy it.

India is now making some well known automobiles, but I don't know anything about the quality.

There is a mill by that name listed on Ebay at the moment.
photos don't tell you much about quality however.

Good luck!

Another poster years ago said the owner of Ganest was a prick to deal with. I started to buy one some time back. It had so many parts cobbled onto it I didn't like the helter skelter array of bits and pieces on it.

I believe Ganesh is the Indian word for "Americans will buy anything". ;)

Seriously now, they have a facility if California, primarily a distribution center. The owner had started off by making a poor copy of a small Tsugami-like chucker and started selling them as a "Swiss" machine. I first saw them in 2006 at (I think) the Eastec show, and to say the machines were "a little rough around the edges" was being VERY kind.

The 2009 Eastec show they were there with much-improved machines and new models such as the one you mentioned. I get the feeling the that the founder fancies himself to be the Indian incarnation of a not-yet-dead Gene Haas, but he has a L_O_N-G way to go. As someone else pointed out, castings from India are among the lowest-quality I've seen since China. The machines are better now that just 3 years ago, but I think you can do much better.

careful! you might get some nasty disease from the ganges river mud they use as filler on the castings...do a google image search for "ganesh baba" to see what i mean:eek:

:D
dave

To the original post, if you're looking for a 'great' mill, Lagun would fit the bill. Unfortunately, the bill might be more than you're looking to pay.

As for imports from the west, Sharp has a good reputation. And I used to use a Webb that size that I'd rate as excellent.

Sharp mills are mostly made by First, aka Long Chang Machinery. In Canada they are sold under the name First. Good thing with Sharp is they are a fairly good size company and so you should be able to get some service and parts when you need them. Which may be harder with certain other imports(it varies)
http://www.first.com.tw/produc-lc.htm

I have a new Lagun FTV-1, bought it in 2008. I think its a great machine, good value for the dollar. But more expensive than the Taiwan imports of course, which may get your job done just fine, just expect to need to put replacement parts in them from time to time. A lot of little stuff tends to fall off them. Belts go quickly also. No such trouble with Lagun.

On the list of Taiwan imports that are at least decent there's also Lih Chang Machinery(ARGO)
http://www.argo.com.tw/e-pro1-1.htm#

Also Dalian Machine tool group. http://www.dmtg.com/index.htm

Heard decent things about those 3 Taiwan Builders, you'll find some of them come up under some other names I think. But if you can spend a bit more $, the Lagun is a very nice tough machine. This time of year I'm sure most dealers are willing to "deal" a little :)

I need to edit/add to this. I wrote Dalian, but the actual name I was searching for as being apparently decent taiwan imports was Lilian.
http://www.lilian.com.tw/en/profile.html

Dalian is in China, still a very big builder and its pretty clear that their stuff gets sold under a lot of names if you look at the pictures of their machines. Just not the brand I wanted to mention as I'd much rather avoid machines that are from China, my bad.

Sure looks like nothing but the name, I doubt any affiliation at all to the real older cincinnati machines???
Most machines on that website definitely look to be the same taiwain/chinese imports as the rest. :(

The remains of the real cincinnati are under Maag industrial.

My underatanding is that this is a used machine dealer that decided to sell new. Looks like the names are photoshoped onto the machines. Not a good sign

Back