What's new
What's new

New shop setup

GrantA

Aluminum
Hey guys, I don't think I ever made a proper introduction on here, been a member for a while just not real active aside from occasional reading / learning.
Hopefully this is allowed, just trying to participate and let y'all know where I'm coming from. I'll be getting machines setup hopefully within a couple months and will post about them as I go (and ask for help I'm sure!).
I've had my SB13 lathe (1921 IIRC) running in my home shop for a little while, learning the ropes slowly but surely. My home shop is a pretty comprehensive woodworking shop plus the lathe, then I got my first mill (Summit) the end of last year and I had the bug.
I scored a sweet 1942 Cincinnati No4 vertical at auction, plus a bunch of misc toolroom supplies which I'm sorting through now.
So... That mill (affectionately called Cindy) needed a home. I'm self employed in the freight industry, brokerage basically and I build l sorts of wood & metal stuff where I can (furniture, knives, fishing rods, tools etc). Luckily my wife was on board with looking for a commercial shop to take things to the next level.
I got this building at auction, it's on the edge of our thriving historic main street /downtown area in Thomasville GA.
82b788927293256562cef7ea8c5fb084.jpg

We're investing in a complete rehab, New roof metal, 48x80 insulated glass windows, all new electrical (has 208 3p now, upgrading to 480v).
Right after getting the building I had 2 opportunities to pickup some great equipment - one was going in halves with a local millwork shop for the equipment let in a closed down millwork shop. I got a quincy compressor, 37" wide belt sander, big tablesaws etc out of that deal. And I had been in the lookout for a surface grinder, so a friend found me one but I had to buy and move all the contents of a knife shop to get it. So I got a doall grinder plus forges, heat treat furnace, anvil, US Machine Tool vertical mill and a 10" Powrkraft (logan) lathe!
I'll cut this off here for now, I look forward to sharing and learning more!
Grant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May want to keep the 208 y 120, 480 will need a transformer to run the 120 loads. Purchase price is only a part, it will cost for the standby loss.

Im envious - hurry and get the roof painted or is that primer? Still with any building the roof is most important!
Best of luck!

Thanks guys!

Poco, I've been back and forth but I have enough equipment that can take advantage of the 480 (and use smaller wire) that it makes sense. 225a service @480 will cover me where I'd have to go to 600a service @208. Hopefully I don't end up regretting it.

BGL that's rust,no insulation inside either so it condensate and drips. Getting new metal with insulation so no more drips from rain or condensation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roofers are starting Monday! :-) new metal is on site. I'm looking forward to not playing musical buckets next time it rains!

Now if I can just get my concrete guy pinned down...

08B856FA-0D81-4935-9FCF-8C3CDEF8A831.jpg

Back