Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Gonna have to doo better than that Mister "Marketing professional".....
    Mercy, Doug.

If Hurricane Florence heads this way, a person might be glad of a bean-tin gauge toolbox-shaped-object as a less lethal projectile than a real one!

Not as if a body who'd buy one had tools of any significant mass to put in it, yah?

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Mercy, Doug.

If Hurricane Florence heads this way, a person might be glad of a bean-tin gauge toolbox-shaped-object as a less lethal projectile than a real one!

Not as if a body who'd buy one had tools of any significant mass to put in it, yah?

Once a spammer....always a spammer...

Just sayin'

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t really understand the question. And mixing up Lista and Kennedy in the same post is truly confusing. Kennedy is honest built light duty tool storage. Their drawer layouts are optimized for machinists tools. The bb slides are generally 120lb and the drawers are pretty light gage. HF. Might make a box with 120lb slides, but I think many are 90lb slides and pretty cheap. Most other brands are Chinese made and are in this range, in my opinion, too light for vises and things like that.

I think if you are storing vises and 50lb+ tooling in a drawer you need Lista type storage. These can work for hand tools, but getting a drawer layout that is economical for lower weight items is often difficult. I don’t need or want a 4” deep drawer capable of 400lbs to hold my wrenches and screwdrivers.

For vises and rotabs and stuff like that, I think we all probably need custom carts or lista, vidmar, equipto, or whoever else makes industrial cabinets with 450lb drawers. But I for one, don’t want to store my mics and socket set in one of those. For that stuff, I’ve got an old brown Kennedy, which is perfectly serviceable for that sort of storage. Point is, I think we’re talking about 2 very different storage solutions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread popped up again and I saw that I neglected to answer your question.

How else can they be stored? The only drills that I store in tool boxes are the few 12" or longer ones that I have collected for special purposes. The rest are very efficiently stored on wall shelves or at my floor stand drill press, on a shelf that I installed on it's column. That drill press shelf makes the most frequently used drills very handy at the place where they are used and THAT saves a ton of time. The drills there are in open stands where all I need to do is grab the needed drill. I have a set of fractional sizes from 1/16" to 1/2", a small set of Forstner bits for wood work, and a set of five countersinks sitting there for instant use. But that's probably enough to be "hanging on a machine tool".

On the wall shelves I have at least a dozen drill indexes with various types of drills. They are out in the open and I can find the type and size of drill that I need for a job in just a few seconds. The only drills that I need any time to find are those extra long ones that are in the tool box drawers. I also have a bin on that shelf with storage for my new drills that I purchase in bulk, usually 10 or 12 at a time for small ones. These are shipped in various packaging and I just leave them in those manufacturer's packages until I need to put one in service in one of the indexes or stands or I need a new one at a machine for a critical job. This also turns out to be a very space efficient method of storage.

I can fully understand the need for other storage means for other situations. This is just what I do. There are other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Out of curiosity, then how else CAN one store those?

It isn't that I don't have Huot flip index and drawer units. It's that I have hole-makers in around three DOZEN different races and tribes and metals and coatings and lengths of them between hand, power-hand, 2 drillpresses, wood, plastic, and metal, tiniest of number and letter US and Metric drills to 7" hole saws, Forstner, Auger, annular, yada, yadda in between. Drawer after drawer is full of pouches and "index" cases. "LOOSE" specialized drills have their own drawers, the long ones won't fit anywhere else handy anyway.

For a "revenue" machine-shop? Five times that in drills. Ten times what I carry as to milling cutters.

Collets? Gorton, 5C, (internals and step/pot chucks to 5" as well), 2J, B&S #9, NMTB 40, ER-20, ER-40, TG-100, Rubberflex 9XX, Burnerd Multisize... plus 2 or 3 more "special purpose" ones that CAN stay with a jig grinder or such.

Whatcha doo is preload a tasking cart with ALL the "stuff" any given job is going to need, workholding, cutting/milling/drilling clamping and metrology included.

Wheel that tasking cart TO the machine-tool.

That "kit" but the needs of the task of the hour out of entire tribes and races of tooling as live in another entire cabinet stack full EACH.

You don't WANT this stuff hanging off a machine tool. You couldn't get close enough to reach the controls even if all the drills were hung off the big Alzmetall.

The tools and cutters are used with several DIFFERENT machines anyway.

Many a good drill may be needed in either of two mills, on any of three lathe, either drill press, any of "many" hand power tools. And I do also have multiple sets for those - rather too many, actually - just to save schlepping. But only for the most basic of drills, not all the specials.

Now .. if all you need for drills is one type, one tip, and 1/16" to 1/2" by 64ths? There's ALWAYS been one of those within easy reach of the little Walker-Turner for more than forty years.

One go out of every three to five, they are even the ones I actually need..

The rest of the time? Yah gots to think ahead and literally "get your s**t together" for the task.

For my NEXT trick, about two hundred years out, I should live that long?

I may even manage to train myself to PUT IT ALL BACK at task completion!

As it is, I just have to do a "sweep" periodically, clean it, sort it back to where it belongs.

..better make that three hundred years..... functionally the same as "never", ain't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought one of the HF 7 drawer boxes(as Stephan Canada linked) on sale for $150.I use it for my personal cutting tools and drill chucks.I have looked at a lot of boxes over the years and this is the best a"bang for the buck" I have ever seen.Has enough drawers and different heights to sort all my commonly used mill/lathe tools.