What's new
What's new

New use for a steady rest

I was working at another shop yesterday, I float around a bit! I needed to turn a 30" long shaft out of 3" 8620. This was a turn between centers job, the lathe was a very tired Jet. It chattered like crazy when you tried to take a cut by the tailstock but was quiet by the headstock. After all the usual screwing around to get around this issue I put the steady rest on the non rotating part of the live center as close as possible to the center. Success! No chatter, the steady stopped all the flex and slop and I was able to do the job on that worn out POS lathe. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box.

That’s definitely thinking ! Any idea where the slop was? Beat up quill taper? Quill loose in the tail stock?
Glad my tail stock is tight :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s definitely thinking ! Any idea where the slop was? Beat up quill taper? Quill loose in the tail stock?
Glad my tail stock is tight :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quill is loose in the tailstock. Well..... all of the above....... This L S O started off bad and tapered off from there.

That is a useful idea. Thanks for sharing. I can think of jobs I’ve done where I’d wish I’d done that.

Good thinking, Moonlite. Bad news is that you ain't the first to do that. Neither was I, 50 years ago when I did it. Its an oldie but a goodie.

JH

I suspect that cpuld also be used to sneak in a few more inches between centers if you had to. Just remove the tailstock and proceed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This /\ /\...unless you can apply pressure toward the headstock, you are looking at best case a bad part, or worse case a part that leaves the machine

Edit: not sure why the previous edit quoted myself and posted again

Back