What's new
What's new

Newall: differences between old microsyn and 2G

astjp2

Plastic
So I am trying to put on a Newall DRO on my lathe. I bought a used DP700 with spherosyn encoders, I would like to put on a 5um microsyn on the crossfeed. I found an older microsyn encoder, but I don't know if this will work on a DP700. Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks, Tim

I have a lathe fitted with a DP700 and Microsyn encoders, so yes they work fine with that DRO. In fact the Microsyns are very easy to fit, much easier than glass scales. Unless you have a big lathe, you can probably use a single ended mounting for the carbon fibre tube on the cross feed.

You say that you have an older Microsyn encoder. I am not aware of any changes that would make this incompatible with the DP700, but you could settle this very easily by giving Newall a call with the details. They are based in Leicester UK, but have US sales representation who will have all of this information for you.

I regularly use several machines fitted with Newall DROs, and have been very happy with their ergonomics and ruggedness.

Newall has used both round and trapezoidal connectors on encoders and readouts. I think I have seen someone selling adapters to convert one type connector to the other.

Larry

This one uses the "D" connector but is not labeled as a 2G like the others I have seen.

I'm not sure whether you are talking about the DRO or the encoder having a D connector. As far as I am aware the current DP700s all use D connectors and so do the current Microsyn encoders - certainly my new ones do. If you don't have D connectors on the DRO or the encoders, adaptors have been available or you should easily be able to make your own.

Ask Newall - they will give you all the information you need based on the serial numbers of your encoders.

The only thing with Microsyns you have to worry about is whether it has been a Microsyn 5 or a 10. It should say on the reader head, a and make sure that you set it up in the DP700 properly.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

The readerhead is a microsyn5, the DP700 and the encoder both have D connectors. Now I just need to find a scale that I can use for the crossfeed single end mounting. That way I can use a shorter scale. I should measure the crossfeed of the lathe to get the measurements and calculate what scale will work the best. The single end will allow me to use a shorter one for the crossfeed. Ebay prices are outrageous most of the time and new is not an option. Thanks everyone. Tim

Whether it is a single end mount or normal mount, that doesnt mean you can use a shorter scale. It simply means you are only securing one end of the scale. All Newall Microsyn scales have a drilled and tapped end to be secured. It is how you secure a Microsyn scale into the single end or normal mounting bracket is via a screw in the end.

Know that Microsyn scales are 7.4 inches longer than their measuring length. So if you determine that you need 10 inches of travel, your scale will be 17.4 inches long.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Whether it is a single end mount or normal mount, that doesnt mean you can use a shorter scale. It simply means you are only securing one end of the scale. All Newall Microsyn scales have a drilled and tapped end to be secured. It is how you secure a Microsyn scale into the single end or normal mounting bracket is via a screw in the end.

Know that Microsyn scales are 7.4 inches longer than their measuring length. So if you determine that you need 10 inches of travel, your scale will be 17.4 inches long.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

I installed a Microsyn scale on the cross slide of my 1940 Monarch 10EE, which is supported only at the front end (the cross slide is short so supporting the scale at both ends was not an option). The cross slide has 6 ⅜" of travel. An 11" scale fits quite well. It is about ¾" longer than necessary, so I would use 4" as the amount that a Microsyn supported at one end needs to be longer than the travel.

2 pics that show the travel limits:

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Scale cover installed:
IMG_0455.jpg

Back