What's new
What's new

[Newbie Discussion] Details for the prototype confirmation

2fprototypes

Plastic
A prototyping product is vital to verify the design and can test product function before mass production. For some companies, they are lack of CNC machine or large 3d printing machine and only to make it with the prototyping partner. I conclude 3 important points while many new engineers are confused.

The first one is to confirm the material property. If you don’t have special requirements on it, ABS is the most common material with economy, temperature resistance, rigidity, and easy to machine. An experienced company can give you the most suitable advice to find the best solution.

The second point is the method. There are multiple ways to make the prototypes now. CNC machining, SLA/SLS 3D printing, Vacuum casting, etc. Depends on the prototype size and spec, choose the cost-effective method to make it.

The last is the product finishes. Confirm your prototypes finish as early to save the cost. Make sure your prototyping partner can meet your finish needs. Finishing services include electroplate, sand blast, polishing, silk-screen, anodizing, spray painting, UV-finish, etc. Different prices, different effects. Be careful.

Surely there are other things that need to be confirmed. If you guys are interested, I can share more about it. What’s your opinion about it?

Last edited:
QT ( Be careful. ) I'm glad you added that...very important IMHO>

be Cautious is anoyher good one.

Sorry, you may be an Ok guy, have good intentions and you are right about what you say..but I would not give you the job of running prototype or production with not knowing a whole lot more about you
Buck

Back