What's new
What's new

Newbie here. Hello to all.

Newman109

Diamond
Sacramento County, California, USA California
Hello to all. I'm out here in Northern California. Just joined up to learn more about my favorite topics - machining and welding. I'm mainly a hobbyist and motorcyclist. I have a 13 X 40 Enco Geared Gap bed lathe and a H.F. Mill Drill with lots of tooling for both. I also have a Lincoln SP175 plus MIG and a vintage AC/DC 250/250 TIG Stick Idealarc welder as well as an O/A cart. I like to weld aluminum and stainless and make stuff for motorcycles and cars.

I'll probably lurk a lot and only pipe up when I feel that I can contribute. I'm extremely impressed with the level of knowledge in this forum!

Regards to all!

Newman109

I have a 13 X 40 Enco Geared Gap bed lathe and a H.F. Mill Drill
Two mistakes you would not have made if you
would have joined us sooner. :D

Get 'um Bob

Geez dualkit...pounding him already!! Watchit you'll scare 'im off.

Howdy Newman109

Don't pay too much attention to Dualkit. If your machines work for you, then they are just what you need. Lot's of strong opinions here on machines and where they were made.

Glad you joined us.

Dave

Welcome, Newman109;

Nice to have you to the Forum.
Jamie
p.s. Don't pay no mind to Dualkit.
" Opinions are like A$$holes...
Everybody has one ".
:D

quote: I said...."I have a 13 X 40 Enco Geared Gap bed lathe and a H.F. Mill Drill"

and then Dualkit said:

"Two mistakes you would not have made if you
would have joined us sooner"

It's all in how one views it. In the $2-3K range, ENCO does a good job. I bought the Enco about ten years ago for $2,300 and there was nothing I could find in an American lathe in good condition for less than $10K, new or used.

As to the H.F. Mill Drill, it has served me well. They are all about the same....you either have a Bridgeport or a Mill Drill, I guess.

Newman109;
Welcome Aboard!

You'll find this board to be one of the best resources for info on just about anything.

But for machining and manufacturing-- there's a member who has "been there" for almost any scenario. I've sat back and read where processes seemed to be figured out by discussions on here.
Any small subjects like "which oil to use" - (and someone will chastize me for calling oil a "small subject")- will be completely be worn out, if it catches attention.

Use the search, or someone else will, and ....

Sam

Welcome Aboard Newman!!! I hope that you find this forum to be as valuable as I have. :D By the way, don't worry if someone else doesn't like your machines. If they work for you, they are money well spent. i have an old craftsman (Coffee grinder) lathe that most machinists would be laughing up their sleeves at. The great thing about being an amateur is that I'm too dumb to know that i can't make chips with it.
consequently, the old girl serves my needs just fine.

Newman, I have a 12 x 36 Shouf Bendt Chinese original that all the later South Bends are copies of. A lot of guys here are just envious that they had to settle for the US made knock off!

Welcome aboard.

Rgds

Michael

Dualkit:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 13 X 40 Enco Geared Gap bed lathe and a H.F. Mill Drill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two mistakes you would not have made if you
would have joined us sooner.
Hey,
Now wait just a minute, I resemble that remark. :eek:

If it wern't for the Chinease and Enco, I couldn't survive. :D

Welcome Newman 109,

Patch

...you either have a Bridgeport or a Mill Drill, I guess.
Au contraire; those in the know look down from their lofty perches as they crank the handles on their Deckel or Schaublin; real men have K&T's or Cincinnatis. Much to learn here I see

All kidding aside, welcome.

Opinions can run strong around here, but it generally doesn't devolve into flames. Diverse knowlege base will have many different answers.

Rob (Clapped out green Bridgy, if it matters)

Welcome Newman 109,

I think you will like it here. This forum has people with knowledge on I think every subject that can come up.

I have a HF 12x36 lathe and a Millrite mill. These machines do what I need and I think does it well.

I am just a home machinist, so still trying to learn all I can. This board has been a good information source.

Enjoy.

Thanks to all. I'm a newbie here but I do have have an extensive background in manufacturing from my former life and I understand most of what's going on.

I also have a fairly thick hide so a little kidding about what machine to own is inconsequential, really. I've seen some wonderful work done on really old machinery.

A good friend of mine operates a piecework machine shop about two miles from my home here. In addition to two Bridgeport milling machines and a large CNC mill and CNC lathe, he has two Monarch lathes. One is a gigantic one with an enormous swing and the other is a smaller Tool-crib style. Guess what? He comes over to run metric threads on my Enco. Ha.

Thanks for the nice words.

To be continued, I'm sure.

N.109

Back