What's new
What's new

Newbie Lathe operator

rzw0wr

Plastic
I just bought a Bolton BT1022 metal lathe.

I found the the head is about .001 per 1" out of parallel with the ways.

Does anyone know how to adjust the head or know where I can get a repair/service manual.

The seller and Bolton are no help at all.

Thank you,
Dale

Hi Dale.

Im guessing youve already found this. On page 23 theres a pic of the bed, looks like theres 4 bolts holding the headstock down.
https://boltontool.com/pdf/BT1022.pdf

If you go about things in this order you should get some idea of whats going on, my guess is the headstock is out of alignment:-

Level the machine (adjust the twist out of the bed)
Chuck up a slug of 2" bar and turn 2 equal diameter collars over 6"
Indicate from the saddle the top and closest to operator surfaces of those 2 collars. (they should be very close to zero)

If you get a big number theres a very good chance your headstock needs adjusting, im guessing that would involve loosening those 4 bolts and bumping it over.

Cheers
D

Demon,
I found those screws and tried to adjust the head.
No luck, the head sits on the ways with no play.
I guess I will need to remove the head to scrape the ways under the head.
OR.... just forget the whole mess and buy another GOOD lathe.

Thanks for the reply

Please clarify, .001 per inch or .001 per foot? First one sounds bad. You leveled lathe with machinist precision level before getting those readings?

Edit: Just looked at link, leveling may require bolting to a bench to effect any twisting:D

#1: Review the stickies on appropriate machinery to discuss on this forum. I don't think your Bolton qualifies (though I may be wrong - I think that has happened at least once or twice ... in the last 15 minutes!)

#2: How did you determine that the head is out of parallel with the ways? If you simply put a test bar in the chuck, or your machine was not levelled properly first, or so on, you may be attributing the error to the wrong source.

Back