What's new
What's new

Newbie with Milling Machine

gocars

Plastic
I hope I'm in the right forum to ask questions.

I recently acquired a mill that has been modified with a BT40 spindle head. The person that sold it to me had several buyers in line to buy it so I didn't have the luxury of doing any research other than finding out what the list price is on the manufacturer's website. FYI, I paid $750 for it (without tooling) and it appears to be in great shape. I haven't used a mill since I took metalworking in high school so I'm a green beginner.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer for me. I went online and it seems that the BT40 is used primarily for CNC work - I really don't have any intentions of getting into CNC and I'm going to use the mill for simple things like making v-belt pulleys and keyways.

1. Is the BT40 suitable for my basic milling needs?
2. Where can I go online to learn milling basics?
3. I can only find a few tooling items online for the BT40 - is the BT40 known by any other description?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
G******y not to be discussed here, so this thread will soon be locked. And you'll probably soon outgrow the G0775.

You need to find some textbooks for machinists and read them. There is a lot to learn. Safety is also an issue.

I think that there is a forum specific to your mill. Also, there is likely a local group of home shop machinists, and they will know the ropes, so I'd ask around.

Also study up on lathes, which you will soon covet. A full size lathe can be dangerous to the untrained, so even more reason to hit the books.

40 taper is the better imho as both mine are 40, I have an old R8 Bridgeport round column but it’s a lot lighter, it’s OK, does the job but the 40 feels much sturdier, better to have a thick tool and not need it than a thin one I think, much less chatter
Mark

I hope I'm in the right forum to ask questions.

I recently acquired a mill that has been modified with a BT40 spindle head. The person that sold it to me had several buyers in line to buy it so I didn't have the luxury of doing any research other than finding out what the list price is on the manufacturer's website. FYI, I paid $750 for it (without tooling) and it appears to be in great shape. I haven't used a mill since I took metalworking in high school so I'm a green beginner.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer for me. I went online and it seems that the BT40 is used primarily for CNC work - I really don't have any intentions of getting into CNC and I'm going to use the mill for simple things like making v-belt pulleys and keyways.

1. Is the BT40 suitable for my basic milling needs?
2. Where can I go online to learn milling basics?
3. I can only find a few tooling items online for the BT40 - is the BT40 known by any other description?

Thanks in advance for any help!

NMTB/ANS/ISO 40-taper, CAT 40, BT 40, Ericsson 40 all have the same taper.

See the link already posted, find the difference is in the size and shape of the "tail", in the threads for drawbar or pull-stud, in the flange, and in the slot(s) for a lug or lugs.

One does NOT want to mix these in a CNC automatic toolchanger magazine.

On an all-manual mill? "BFD". "Mostly" you just need a different drawbar for each tribe, and to modify the spindle lugs(s) to suit, and even that ordinarily "just the one time".

You'll find more choices of tooling and cheaper, if you can use mostly "either of" NMTB 40 and CAT 40 where the differences are less pronounced and the goods are more plentiful, new AND/OR used-but-good, in the North American market.

"So far".. I have stopped right there.

But.. if a really attractive bargain showed-up on BT 40 body? I could add the drawbar to use it.

Be happy.. VERY happy.. it is not an Are Ate.

:D

go to aliexpress and get some bt40 holders for around $30. "ucheer" is an excellent brand for beautifull, high precision tools. also look for: iso40, sk40, nt40 cat40, all the same taper as mentioned above. preferably get all holders of the same kind, although i run "bt" and "nt" on the mill without any problems.

Back