What's new
What's new

Niagara press brake shoes

rabtrfld

Aluminum
Sorry to post about a punch press in a machining forum! It's just another piece of junk I have to deal with at our shop.
The old Niagara brake lining is totally worn out or even missing (can't tell through the grime). I have the spring compressed hard just to keep it limping along.
Management told me a service tech refused to work on this 1963 flywheel punch with single-revolution-clutch and a foot switch (no two-hand control).

I have no hope of finding original parts, will have to improvise a brake band. Just looking for advice what to use. Hopefully can find a metal strip with suitable friction material. FWIW the drum is 6 inches dia. and the band is 2 inches wide. Things were simple back in '63.

Good day sir. I had a transmission on an auxiliary engine on a sailboat. It had a friction clutch which engaged the prop shaft. The clutch/transmission was built in the 40's and I could not get a replacement clutch. I bought some drum brake shoes from NAPA and ground off the rivets. I drilled holes in the clutch cone and used brass rivets to attach the new shoes. I thought the shoes might shatter when I tried to bend them to fit the cone but they didn't. Worked great. Something like this might work for you.

Answering my own post... these IH Farmall brakes
are all over the place, look just about right.
wm_58345DCX.png

I travel to Cleveland, and there is a clutch/brake shop there.

the do any kind of clutch/brake, band, shoes, pucks, multiple disc in oil, etc.

Back