Nice looking Tovaglieri lathe - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The lathe has got great attention to detail. I like the finger grips on the inside of the hand wheels. Obviously who ever thought that up has tried to change gear with a smooth hand wheel with oily hands in the past.

I don't know anything about that lathe and I've never seen one in the UK but I'd love to have a go on it. I bet it was " Alfa-Romeo " style cost wise back in the day. It looks an expensive machine.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    . I bet it was " Alfa-Romeo " style cost wise back in the day. It looks an expensive machine.
    Too svelte and too luxurious for an Alfa. Like a fine woman of a certain age. Built for comfort, not for speed. Lancia Aurelia saloon of that era, rather!

ducks, downshifts, trail-brakes the Musa Diesel around another switchback, Valle d'Aosta...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not an expert on old " Alfas" but I remember reading that one of the models in the 1960's cost more than a " Jaguar " E type.
    If you read more about the town where the lathe was made it was known as the " Manchester " of Italy at one time.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I'm not an expert on old " Alfas" but I remember reading that one of the models in the 1960's cost more than a " Jaguar " E type.
    If you read more about the town where the lathe was made it was known as the " Manchester " of Italy at one time.

Regards Tyrone.
    The one Dr. Mastandrea drove was the 2600, same red as the one shown on Wiki:

Alfa Romeo 26 - Wikipedia

I'd no klew at the time that it was the 2d facelift to a 1950's model, nicely engined inline six, decent rear seating space, but over-age suspension and too-skinny tires. Good looks, high price, not much as a "road" car. One of our Exec's had an E roadster. It was "decent enough" over the ground he bitched and moaned for years over having traded for a Porsche.

My 2005 X350 (XJ8-L) is a tad long in the wheelbase for a dash around Kernow's lanes, but our 2-lane blacktop here has curves calculated for 18-wheelers, so it SEEMS as nimble as can be!

As to Italy's industrial belt..

Pull up a map. Plan to take a few weeks there if you have not already.

You'll find it a lot easier on the eyes and dinner muscles than Manchester, UK!

Pocketbook? Not so bad, Blighty being dear even if you stood home. Seek out self-catering or "agriturismo", cook yer own, save meals-out for the odd "legendary" slow-food place.

Other than repulsive Rome, the hardest part to take about Italy is leaving to go home.
    Mind, helps - a LOT - to speak the language. But the Scots are harder to understand, so..most any place, one can get by, even without.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, it's Monday, so who carted this lathe home over the weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Turner_Whitworth View Post
    Ok, it's Monday, so who carted this lathe home over the weekend?
    Nope, still up for the same price as of this morning.