What's new
What's new

Nikken CnC Rotary table worm lubrication

Harri89

Cast Iron
Hello!

I have a 2-axis Nikken 5ax-120 cnc table, my manual which i have doesnt have any mention what oil should be used.

I have found few Nikkens PDF manuals where is mentioned different oils in different manual :

Mobil gear 627 (SHC?)
Mobil DTE heavy

SHC Is super expensive, over 3 times the DTE.

Some one with knowledge what should be used?
The worm gears are in an oil bath.

Thanks!

Nikken tables are expensive and worth it. Trying to save on oil that will give you years of service, is not an savings. Mobile gear 627 is top shelf gear lube, if you must cut corners one could put in 80 or 90 weight rear differential lube. (Automotive)

Nikken tables are expensive and worth it. Trying to save on oil that will give you years of service, is not an savings. Mobile gear 627 is top shelf gear lube, if you must cut corners one could put in 80 or 90 weight rear differential lube. (Automotive)

He's not trying to cut corners, he's asking which is the correct oil, since he apparently has two different manuals with conflicting instructions.

Is Mobil Gear 627 same as Mobil shc 627?

I will buy the right oil, just want to be sure with it. Price difference is like 250dollars between DTE Heavy and SHC 627 oil can

Just got this from the local Nikken service team:

Mobil Gear Oil 600 XP 68

It is a synthetic gear oil. You can find equivalents. just match up the weight/viscosity. When I did a lot of service work it was called MobilGear SHC.

Okay, so thats viscosity is ISO VG68 and the information i found is ISO VG100.

What viscosity i should get?

BROTHERFRANK

For which nikken is that oil for recommended by Nikken service?

I would go with the 68. I asked for the correct gear oil for the 5AX-120 table.
Also if you are in Finland, the lower viscosity may be helpful in a cooler climate than the 100.

When I stripped my Nikken rotary table / 4th Axis I found all the roller bearings discoloured but absolutely no sign of measurable wear or pitting. Possibly due to wrong oil or coolant ingress.

The rollers are hollow and one had collapsed and was jamming the works - see the shiny new one in the picture :)

Attachments

• Side-Thrust-Race-Back.jpg
    Side-Thrust-Race-Back.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 313
BROTHERFRANK
thank you, really appreciate your help! :)

andrewmawson
The rollers are hollow?? What is the size of them and your table?
What material is the roller bearing retainer?

Thanks to all for your input :)

While so much thicker I've found Mobil SHC 630 to work the best in my worm/wheel drive rotaries.
Before I found it and trying lighter stuff I ate up a lot of very expensive zero-backlash worms and wheels in my grinders.
My top speeds on the output side are only 15 RPM so that may be a difference.
I've also found it great as a film between mag chucks and surface grinder tables or other similar assemblies that you want to be clean when you take them apart 10 years later.

I only post as this oil has saved me wheelbarrows full of dollar bills so I kind of like it. It took a decade of playing with others or "manufacture recommended" in a 24/7 run environment to find it.
Bob

Mobil shc 630 is a ISO VG220 oil?

What was the oil recommendation for the rotarys where you changes to SHC 630?

My eisele cold saw worm drive is recommended to use ISO VG220 oil.

My nikken has rapid speeds of 22rpm Rotary and 11 rpm tilting axis, not that much compared to newer models with higher speeds.

Yes the roller are hollow

The retainer ring is presumably bronze

The rollers are 4 mm diameter and about 10 mm long. The table is 200 mm.

The replacement roller is silver steel (drill rod in the US?) that I turned and ground to size pre-hardened as I couldn't source the correct length of roller and those that I could were solid anyway !

Back