What's new
What's new

NMTB 50 Drive Gear Drove What?

Cannonmn

Stainless
This tool holder came as pictured, looks like an accessory Drive setup, but what accessory was it? I know it is currently too rusted to put in a machine, and I got it in a pile of stuff so the cost was pennies, but it was too interesting to leave. I can't associate it with any particular machine, can you?

img_5218.jpg

img_5219.jpg

img_5220.jpg

Likely a KT/Milwaukee or similar older Horizontal's accessory like a vertical head or slotting attachment. Guaranteed that someone here needs it.

Thanks, I have a K&T 2CH vertical mill; I guess there's no accessory for it that needs this. But haven't looked at the manual in quite a while.

I'm not so sure it's a factory piece. That looks like a standard shell or face mill arbor, to which someone has installed a gear. You'd think such a factory piece would be one piece...? Especially since the overall shape offers no difficulty to machining.

Another data point is that the gear is wrong for a right-angle head. It could be the drive gear of a speeder, with a 2/3rds size or 1/2 size gear on a small-bore spindle connected to it. But a right-angle would have to have another gear between it and a crown/miter gear in order to drive the additional spindle.

Doc.

Likely a KT/Milwaukee or similar older Horizontal's accessory like a vertical head or slotting attachment. Guaranteed that someone here needs it.

Fortunately, I have the ones I need for K&T universal angle head and slotter, 40-taper. But yes 'that's the likely fit'.. and it should prove separable so as to go onto 40-taper as well as the 50-taper it is presently on.

I'm not so sure it's a factory piece. That looks like a standard shell or face mill arbor, to which someone has installed a gear.

Stock arbour is, after all, a perfectly legitimate way to mount the gear, so long as it has the right 'stick out'.

And yes, of course the all-angle head & c. have more gears.

Under all that grease there is probably a part number. Even if the number doesn't register the format may suggest the manufacturer.

Stock arbour is, after all, a perfectly legitimate way to mount the gear, so long as it has the right 'stick out'.

-Entirely possible. But again, one would presume that an original manufacturer would make such a part in one piece. Moreover, in all the right-angle heads I've seen (which is by no stretch of the imagination an exhaustive list :D ) the arbor is integral to the head.

The only one I know of that's separate is the little Nichols head, which uses a separate spline-to-taper adapter, which is frequently lost.

The larger machines- the ones with a built-in crane and "storage pad" (whatever they're called) for the right-angle head, would likely not use a loose, easily-lost adapter such as that.

And if it's for a speeder, one would presume the gears would run in an oil bath, but there's no sealing surface on that arbor.

None of that is undeniable, of course, but it's an educated guess, at least.

And yes, of course the all-angle head & c. have more gears.

-Again, most all the right-angle heads I'm familiar with (which, I'll happily admit is not many :D ) and the one speeder I'm familiar with, run an absolute minimum of gears. In both cases, it's just two- a pair of bevel gears in the right angle, and a single drive/driven pair in the speeder.

Again, not saying that's what it IS, just trying to apply a little logic to the question.

Doc.

-Entirely possible. But again, one would presume

Haven't seen that many myself. Just happens that the ones I OWN are for a K&T universal all-angle head, and a K&T slotter - both adapted to a USMT "Quartet" combo mill... and having the same gears the OP photoed, absent the crud, and on 40-taper, not 50-taper.

No 'supposition' or guessing about that.

CAVEAT: There are 'many' gear sizes in that clan. Centerline spacing issue.

Hence more pain than gain to make them one-piece.

Another data point is that the gear is wrong for a right-angle head. It could be the drive gear of a speeder, with a 2/3rds size or 1/2 size gear on a small-bore spindle connected to it. But a right-angle would have to have another gear between it and a crown/miter gear in order to drive the additional spindle.
The right angle / bevel gears are contained within the head. How else would they maintain correct mesh?

Cincinnati # 2 Drive adaptor. This is the thing you throw into the horizontal spindle before mounting the Universal / Vertical milling head.

Best I can tell it's original and came with the machine.. Constructed exactly the same as the O.P's
P1010810.jpg

I'd contend it would have been harder to produce in the 50's / 60's as a one piece unit, with the NMTB #50 taper as a one piece unit. Better to gang 6 blanks on a mandrel and cut multiples of them at once. Rest of the features are only key ways and a bore. A bore which you could make a mandrel for, and bang them out it batches.

The input shaft into the head has the matching helical gear. I can get you pictures in the morning when I'm back into the office.

Regards Phil.

(On Edit). I had the pictures on a back up drive at home.

That drive gear goes into the arse end of this old dog.

P1010120.jpg

This is the input end, that cavity under the driven input gear is where the horizontal adaptor NMTB #50 drive gear goes. The tricky right angle bevel gears are still well hidden inside the head.
P1010118.jpg

Well, that certainly makes sense. I stand corrected! :D

Yeah, the right-angle heads I'm familiar with are generally all direct-drive. I see that one incorporates both a "gear up" aspect (I assume to either speed up the spindle or to compensate for the bevel gear ratio) as well as an offset to buy some spindle-to-table daylight.

Cool, learn somethin' new every day. :)

Doc.

I see that one incorporates both a "gear up" aspect .
Going from memory it was a 1:2 ratio into those heads. Universal spindle would do double speed, because you would need that, rather than a side and face cutter running on a horizontal arbour.

Can't recall a head that didn't have a 1:1 ratio with in the head. It's all too compact as it is, with-out a big gear driving a small one, or vis versa

That old dog head was on EBay for week upon week, prior to Christmas. It made $250 AUD including that input arbour gear.

Regards Phil.

Well, that certainly makes sense. I stand corrected! :D

Yeah, the right-angle heads I'm familiar with are generally all direct-drive. I see that one incorporates both a "gear up" aspect (I assume to either speed up the spindle or to compensate for the bevel gear ratio) as well as an offset to buy some spindle-to-table daylight.

Cool, learn somethin' new every day. :)

Doc.

Phil showed a Cincinnati example. There are four or more threads on PM that show the K&T's - simple heads to universals with compound angle adjust, and a few on the slotters as well. "Input" gear for K&T had multiple choices to allow for fitting to more than one of their mills, but did generally stay 'close' to 1:1.

At least one of the K&T "tribe" - they had a half-dozen or so - did have an alternative means of setting depth of mesh as it had an adjustable mount-up.

Plain, toothless, disks were affixed to the sides of the gears, slightly stood-off to assist in setting depth.

My one is a conversion Adam Booth's late Dad or Grand-Dad made to enhance the utility of the "Quartet". Slotter or universal head attach to an added-on plate, dovetailed edges. Depth of engagement of its gearing has to be set by hand. OTOH, that is not exactly rocket science, so BFD.

Back