What's new
What's new

No Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shazam

Plastic
New Dial Indicator - No Case

A Mitutoyo dial indicator arrived today and I'm a bit disappointed. It came with no plastic case! My Mitutoyo calipers and test indcator both came in a plastic case. After searching the internet, it doesn't seem like you can buy them anywhere either! The cardboard box will disintegrate in due time, so that's definitely not somewhere I want to store it long term. I know you can make a case, but I was wondering if anyone has a quicker solution that I've missed. Are cases sold in some forgotten part of the internet that I'm not aware of?

Last edited:
I dont recall a case for dial indicators(clocks)......all mine are in a card box ,in a styrofoam moulded pack........Most only have a indicator mounted on a mag base,so a box isnt rerquired.............My oldest Mitutoyo micrometer is actually in a steel box ,as were all the quality mikes back in the day......the plastic boxes with foam lining first broke the moulded hinges ,then the foam went toxic and corroded the chrome plate.

Time to find a local hobby guy with one of the 'orrible cheapo chinee desktop CNC router things. Carving out a suitable recess in a piece of decent wood, or couple of thick laminations, seems about their speed. I imagine the wood used by Starrett for their cases (Sapele?) would do just fine.

Its what I shall do when my card & styrofoam boxes die. Was going to do it shortly after getting them maybe 30 years back with two stack lamination for the base so I could just cut the dial recess as a through hole. But then I noticed the then 20 - 30 year old cardboard box holding a big Mercer was still fine so I decided to wait until necessary. Still waiting!

Maybe there is something you can soak the cardboard in to make it last better. That Mercer box looks as if its impregnated.

Clive

You can saturate cardboard with super glue. turns into a hard plastic, or maybe like a bakelite material.

I made a cover for an electric motor like so,
vu07uty.jpg

mCi1Ivu.jpg

K7mCZZB.jpg

I dont recall a case for dial indicators(clocks)......all mine are in a card box ,in a styrofoam moulded pack........Most only have a indicator mounted on a mag base,so a box isnt rerquired.............My oldest Mitutoyo micrometer is actually in a steel box ,as were all the quality mikes back in the day......the plastic boxes with foam lining first broke the moulded hinges ,then the foam went toxic and corroded the chrome plate.

My mits came with molded cases, all bought within the last 10yrs or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back