What's new
What's new

No grease no goo rust preventative?

dkmc

Diamond
Any experience with a rust preventative that doesn't leave behind (or minimally) a film of oily-greasy goo? Maybe you can't have one without the other? Machining plastics and can't have goo on the mill table, as well as contaminating alu. sheet on the shear. I suppose wipe off the goo, run the job, then re-apply is a solution. But I'd like to find a better solution that isn't so messy.

LPS#3 (available as spray or liquid in a jug) leaves a waxy film that's pretty easy to remove. If you let it harden up for a few days, it doesn't easily transfer to things that touch it.

If you need more liquid/spray resistance, then paste wax or straight out rub blocks of paraffin wax from the canning section of your supermarket or farm store on the table surfaces.

so is this for the mill table and to stay there permanently? there are products mainly for woodworking machines the make the surface more slippery. i use this:

Dry lubricant - Silbergleit 1000 ML | eBay

otherwise polimerizing oils (linseed oil is a good one) will produce a hard layer, but it takes a few days.

Are you trying to minimize rust formation, or have a slippery but not contaminating surface?

If rust, why are things rusting? Can you install a dehumidifier, or wear surgical gloves if you have Rusting Skin Oil Syndrome (RSOS)?

If slippery, install thin sheets of UHMW on the slide planes?

Are you trying to minimize rust formation, or have a slippery but not contaminating surface?

If rust, why are things rusting? Can you install a dehumidifier, or wear surgical gloves if you have Rusting Skin Oil Syndrome (RSOS)?

Former coworker had that, he was gross. Like his hands would absorb the machine's oils and deposit it in his hair, then leave behind a salty rusty film on all the tooling and ways. A lubrication leach.

Programmed via Mazatrol

Minimize rust in a non heated not-nearly hermetically sealed barn type storage area where a few machines see very limited use.

I use LPS2 and it works well. LPS3 works longer but leaves a waxy film that cleans easily like sfriedberg says. The down side is that it is expensive. The upside is, you don't need much to create a sufficient film. I also use Johnson's paste wax on my machine tables. Then after a day, I apply a thin coat of LPS2. In my environment I get a minimum of one year of protection inside an unheated shop and garage.

Minimize rust in a non heated not-nearly hermetically sealed barn type storage area where a few machines see very limited use.

That sorta sucks, because even when you protect the exterior surfaces, you're getting moisture buildup on the insides of castings and motors, etc. Any chance you can spend a little time sealing some of the area and adding a "cold weather" (they're more efficient than normal household style) dehumidifiers instead?

This subject has been discussed many times over the years. There is a plethora of products out there and all have their good and bad traits. I have been working in my shop for over fifty years with no heat or air conditioning. In the climate I live in there are "balmy" days when the temperature and humidity are such that everything with any appreciable mass sweats. I also keep bees so I have an abundance of bees wax. I have found over the years that the best/cheapest way to keep things from rusting is with a spray of bees wax heavily cut with turpentine. I have tried other organic solvents and they seem to work well (varsal etc.). I just happen to think turpentine smells the best and works well.

Not a chance at all. Without seeing the space you can't understand why that idea generates a LOL but it does. Maybe if I win the lottery. If I start buying tickets. But then I'd just buy a bulldozer and start fresh.

Any chance you can spend a little time sealing some of the area and adding a "cold weather" (they're more efficient than normal household style) dehumidifiers instead?

We use CorrosionX here. Formulated for spraying, and they have an aerosol can product in addition to the bulk jugs (that require their sprayer).

Back