What's new
What's new

Is it normal for your tooling to cost as much if not more than your lathe?

greenthing

Plastic
I'm new to machining and I had no idea when starting that by the time I got all the necessary tooling it would end up costing me more than an actual lathe. This includes measurement instruments, collets, chucks, bits, improved parts, calibration tools, so on and so on. Not to mention actual stock. How much have you invested into tooling? I feel like turning metal is a waste of time if I'm just eyeballing everything and cutting corners...

I second what Mr. Nelson said. This hobby/occupation is definitely not for the faint of wallet. You're smart to want to steer away from cutting corners. Few things will bite you or waste your time more then half ass setups and tooling.

Welcome, I had sticker shock also when I started out. I bought machines that had problems and were cheap because of that, and learned to fix them. Learning about carbide inserts, tool geometry and what to use for each operation helps a lot, then you know what to look for at auctions/sales.

Not wanting to incur any debt I started off part time as a manual shop. For the first couple years I was just hoping the jobs paid for the tooling needed to make it. Let alone the support equipment needed.

The short answer to the question is "yes."

It's one of the things I always stress to a novice who wants to buy a machine tool. Tooling cost = machine cost, within about 25 percent. The tooling can be bought "one piece at a time" as johnny cash once said.

I'm new to machining and I had no idea when starting that by the time I got all the necessary tooling it would end up costing me more than an actual lathe. This includes measurement instruments, collets, chucks, bits, improved parts, calibration tools, so on and so on. Not to mention actual stock. How much have you invested into tooling? I feel like turning metal is a waste of time if I'm just eyeballing everything and cutting corners...

For what it's worth, I have found a properly tooled and running machine. A lathe usually cost 3 times the price of the machine.
It really doesn't seem to matter what size or condition etc.
If you buy a gov surplus new machine it's nice enough you will want to put Cushman or equal chucks on it , a dro, etc etc.
If it's a old beater you will have money in motors, starters, coolant pumps, etc.
Then you still have to get tool posts, and tooling etc.
As pricing has gone up recently the last machine I am probably closer to 4 times the cost.
Just my experience from the last few decades.

Ha! You should see live tooling and quick change chucks (we have the Royal quick change and 16J chucks, main and sub-spindle). Then there are the dual holders, half index holders.... and on and on it seems.

Yes, the lathe can be the cheap part. Unless you just happen on an estate sale where you make a deal for the lathe, and also get a bonus 10 milk crates of bits and pieces and thises and thats that someone already collected over the years spending the money, and the seller throws them in with the lathe not knowing the value.

None of us are very smart-when I look around my shop and consider the investment in tooling and machines and then I think about the plumber that just charged me $$$$$$$$$$ for a few hours work and had all his tools in a 5 gal bucket
and a $500 drain machine in the back of his van, I just shake my head and go back to work...…………….., or the electrician or the carpenter. Some things in life just don't add up if you do the math.

The short answer to the question is "yes."

It's one of the things I always stress to a novice who wants to buy a machine tool. Tooling cost = machine cost, within about 25 percent. The tooling can be bought "one piece at a time" as johnny cash once said.
Johnny Cash did not pay for his stuff.
"I GOT IT ONE PIECE AT A TIME AND IT DIDN'T COST ME A DIME"

How much have I invested in tooling? About 400 sheets of marine grade plywood and a skid of 2x4’s

140k for lathe 10 k for royal chucks 400 each for collets 500 each static holders 7 k for adjustable live tool holder part off tool 500 then all the horn tool stuff that’s higher then giraffe Pussy 20 k for bar feeder. Life is good
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back