What's new
What's new

Is not returning phone calls a industry standard or just unprofeshinal ?

bmikkalson

Hot Rolled
Had a lead on a job for a machine repair tech at Mori Seki. The sales guy says, boss is looking for a guy. I am a pretty good fit for the position. The past three weeks I have emailed my resume, called two times and emailed. Have not got any response back.
I have not had to look for work in fifteen years. Is this normal or super dueshe bag?
More annoyed ... never experienced a no call or email.

Had a lead on a job for a machine repair tech at Mori Seki. Sales man said boss is looking. I'm a pretty good fit. Over the past 3 weeks I have emailed my resume and called 2 times and emailed one more. Haven't not got a call or a email back.
I haven't had to look for work in 15 years, so is this just normal or super dueshe bag?

Not to be a dick (really), but if your resume or other written communications with this company had the same syntax and spelling as your post, then that could be a reason that they're not getting back to you. If this is the case, find a friend or relative who has good English skills and ask them to proofread your CV and other 'pre-hire" documents.

BTW, my typing and spelling sucks, but I make use of spellcheckers and Google to make sure before I send stuff out that it's grammatically correct. It can't hurt, and it may help get your correspondence read.

[Waiting for someone to point out any egregious errors in my posting... ;)]

Haha, I did cheat and have some one else do the resume and grammar checking. Give me your email and I'll send a PDF of it.

I think I got blasted on my last post for basic grammar. I'm on a tiny little phone, and it's hard to even see.

Haha, I did cheat and have some one else do the resume and grammar checking. Give me your email and I'll send a PDF of it.

I think I got blasted on my last post for basic grammar. I'm on a tiny little phone, and it's hard to even see.

I just use the phone for posting when I'm absolutely desperate - I need a real keyboard to have any chance at all.

No need for the copy of the resume - glad you had it checked over...

You can't expect courtesy 100% of the time. Ask the salesman if the position is still open. Not calling back happens all the time. I guess if they have hundreds of resumes, are they going to call everyone back and explain what their decision is?

I don't see anything wrong with your English except:

unprofeshinal -> unprofessional
Sales man -> Salesman
Haven't not got -> Haven't received

Big deal, I always have to review what I type to make corrections.

Not returning calls is getting to be very common over here. I'd estimate at least 50% of the time I have to phone the person back again to get a response.

I need my burglar alarm guy to call around to repair a minor problem, he said he would phone me back when he returned from holiday a fortnight ago ! No word yet.

Regards Tyrone.

Ben, if you wrote this resume for use in getting a machine tech service job, I have to think it doesn't really shout out "I'm a super-good mechanical and electronics tech!". It's a little to folksy and disjointed, and, well, not terribly professional.

Give us an better description of what the job required, and what hard-core skills you would bring to the job - perhaps people here could help punch-up your delivery.

I have been in the position of hiring people. You can get a lot of resumes and applications and often I was too busy to answer all or even any of them. I never had the luxury of a secretary.

I did answer phone calls, but sometimes could not return them. I understood the feelings of the people who were applying, but the day was only so long and I had other problems, some very urgent.

I would suggest one or two follow-up calls, letters, or e-mails. After that you run the risk of appearing to be irritating. Some things are just not to be.

Per your resume.
-Understand and utilise precision metallurgist equipment in production and inspection.
That sounds like a Jesse James version of working with metal.

Where's this Metallurgist thing come from? Surely in the context of production and inspection, that would be METROLOGY. The scientific study of measurement. You need some one better to proof read your Resume.

Metalllurgist's often aren't far away from a molten cauldron of molten metal. They study the composition of alloys. Be it Steel, Iron, Aluminium, Copper or other.

I'd have donked you on the head for that. And wouldn't call you back, because I'd be lost for words.

Regards Phil

Give us an better description of what the job required, and what hard-core skills you would bring to the job.
Link to the Job add would be even better. Mori will require some Post Grad or Associate Diploma work, in some thing like Manufacturing / Production Engineering or Mechatronics.

Plus a minimum of 4 years in a similar service roll.

Regards Phil.

Aside from any discussion of your resume, my expectation is to never receive a call or email back unless I am being interviewed or offered the position. I say this as a younger person who has applied for lots of jobs in the past few years and talks to lots of friends on the job hunt in different fields. For better or for worse, this seems to be standard practice now in the USA, no matter the industry. Sure, it would be great to get a follow-up if I do not make the cut, but this almost never occurs.

Although I have never been in a hiring position, I assume that any publicly posted job is inundated with applications, most of which are sent out semi-randomly.

No disrespect, but that reads bloody awfully for some one after a customer facing technical role for a OEM machine tool builder. Don't know if English is your first language but it certainly reads like its not. if you don't have the skills to communicate in a CV, how do you think your going to come across to a potential employer as being able to read understand and demonstrate to customers technically complex instructions?

IMHO your not going to get a job like that using anything but the correct common industrial wording to describe your skill set, if you don't know the difference between being a metallurgist and metrology again it does little to help you.

Then there’s the whole electrical issue. I 'm kinda willing to bet its a lot easier to teach a electronics tech enough about machining, but to teach electronic fault finding to a auto body guy is a frigging uphill nightmare. I really don't think your skill set is anything like a good cross for this kinda work. Not trying to be nasty here, but most cnc fault finding is probably going to be at least 50% or more electronic and computer based not taking dents out of the enclosure were the wife backed into something :-)

Ben.

Not sure its cool be posting the numbers for Denis, Joe & Gregg.

I'd also add, your not helping your cause by being so easy to find. You use the same handle every where, and in your email.

Be told, Human Resources ? Personal recruitment. In this day and age will run your profile threw the wringer.

Internet, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, Pinterest, Vine, Google+, Grindr, Tinder etc.

Google takes me all of 0.27 seconds to find me these.

May 6th 2017 you wanted to be a Millwright.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/any-millwrites-here-knowledge-teade-334854/

Feb 25 2017: You had problems, qualifying a lathe face plate.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...e-face-plate-dumore-tool-post-grinder-331721/

Comment withheld. But suggesting a mental health issue.
Feb 11 2017. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ly-onset-alzheimers-other-331026/#post2917483

All of which are blissfully easy to attach to you.

I'd drop that "King Way School" of machine spiel. At best you did 5 days. That's hardly a semester.
Mori Dmg are the machine tool people. They can tell shit from clay when you quote, "Grad 2014".

To the best of my knowledge there is no KSA. King Scraping Academe.

Your Resume also list's BA (Bachelor of Arts) , in Criminal Justice Studies. 2007.

And you next recent study was the 5 day King Way extravaganza of 2014. That's 7 years apart.

And the only machine tool experience gained.

Can you see why your resume has holes in it?

Tell you what. I'll give you a quick walk through of the interview.
What does parameter 1815 do.
Parameter 1850.
Parameter 4077?

That's all you need to know to be a junior board changer service engineer.

I expect that is all double Dutch to you. Given you haven't spent a minute in the CNC world.

Regards Phil

Back