Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by angel0913 View Post
    I'm going to second the Vogel die idea from Doug. When I was working in a stamping house we had one with 2 different inserts to do round and square tubing notches. Don't remember the exact size off hand, probably 3/4-1" OD. Your 1.5" is likely going to be a bit more expensive to make (not sure how much profit vs pita factor you have).

They are quite slick in operation. The one we had worked on a cam type operation where it would peirce/cut one side of the tube, from the inside out, then pierce the other side. Almost identical to what you have with 2 notches 180deg apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yea....putting a 1/2" end mill in a drill chuck is a great and fast way to remove the drill chuck from the drill press.

3. Likes bosleyjr, Mike C. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Along with Vogel die, check with Unipunch as well. They make exactly what you need, and should be able to make it with any notch shape. No idea which company is going to be cheaper, so get a quote from both.

I pulled this pic from their site.

unipunch.jpg

C-Frame Punching Units & Tooling | UniPunch Products

5. Likes digger doug, Mike C. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

flat work is easier than notching
    I assume the cross bar is notched into the tube so to provide attachment points and to keep the end of the tube flush.
    a few ideas
    laser cut a end plate that is a circle with two ears with a hole in the middle. tack weld to the end of the tube. you could possibly sneak the welds inside the tube.
    make up a washer the id of the tube and with an id suitable for a riv nut. weld the washer flush, install riv nut after finishing.
    weld in a stud,
    press or weld in a threaded plug. a custom plug could have a threaded hole to accept a screw or a hole that would accept a screw that would be taked in place creating a stud, this allows a fully hidden attachment method.
    how much strength is needed?
    If I was doing this and if a single screw was acceptable, I would go with the washer and riv nut.
    how much design flexibility do you have?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wanted to thank everyone for the ideas and recommendations and let y'all know I've got Vogal and Unipunch working on quotes for the tooling that I need.

8. Likes Fish On, DrHook, Mike C. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could also do that slot easily with an old school horizontal mill. Put a swivel vise on risers, use a plain mill cutter the width of the slot and use the vertical travel to cut the notch. Power feed and rapid would make it a real quick process. Can probably find an old Cincy horizontal for near scrap price.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

get a dragon coper, cut and cope in one pass. the baby dragons ( Bend-Tech Dragon -A150 | CNC Plasma Tube Cutter & Notcher ) are not that expensive - and versatile. The uni-punch or any of the ironworker punch attachments for tube/pipe will work with a custom punch/die.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    get a dragon coper, cut and cope in one pass. the baby dragons ( Bend-Tech Dragon -A150 | CNC Plasma Tube Cutter & Notcher ) are not that expensive - and versatile. The uni-punch or any of the ironworker punch attachments for tube/pipe will work with a custom punch/die.
    I suspect that the OP won't be upgrading his harbor freight bench grinder to a $15k cnc plasma coper anytime soon, but that is the process that came to my mind first. If you live in a big metro area and can find a shop to farm that aspect out to then I would go that route.

Sometimes getting a pallet of parts dropped off ready to weld makes more sense to me if it cuts out multiple processes that I would have needed to do. (even if I can do them in house already) Even after the job has payed back the cost of that custom die (and they don't quite hand them out), you will still need to continually spend labor to cut and then notch every tube.

12. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think if we can see the photos.
    We can help better.
    Still going a bit on North York Plumbing I think accurate information I can
    I find you

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaLaber View Post
    I think if we can see the photos.
    We can help better.
    Still going a bit on shit eating spammers I think accurate information I can
    I find you
    How can you "help" the OP there, Spammer ?