What's new
What's new

Now cast iron

friesen

Cast Iron
The forum says I do cast iron now. Its news to me.

Anyway, perhaps this setting could be exposed for user changeability?

Also, does anyone else notice that the forums are real slow?

Yes I've notice it's lagging the past day or so.

Cast iron is just associated with your post count.

Same here PM is slow ..other sites OK.

Cast Iron likes a negitave top rake and dry or flooded...
Cast Iron fractures ahead of the cutting action, often take high cutting force/pressure..

Cast iron is just associated with your post count.
To expand this a bit it is just a word to go with how many times you have posted.
If could just as well be "new user", "often member", "highly addicted poster".
Being a machinists forum it just goes from easy to cut to difficult to cut materials.
Has nothing to do with what you work in, your experience level or expertise.
Bob

"Cast Iron" is your post count ranking, considered to be roughly equivalent to material hardness or machinability*. Another interpretation is the amount of time an individual poster has available to screw around on the internet, which is most likely inversely proportional to his involvement in actual machine work. Those with 20,000 posts and zero likes over a two-year period aren't necessarily going to be able to provide you any practical advice on machining but they're ready and willing to inform you politically...

*or, alternatively, a hardheadedness index.

I thought it was a typo and was supposed to be "New cast iron".

Like how to season a new frying pan. I think there's already a thread on that.

you're forgetting the hard spots...

Sorry, about Spot:

A guy spots a sign outside a house that reads “Talking Dog for Sale.” Intrigued, he walks in.
“So what have you done with your life?” he asks the dog.

"Woof, I’ve led a very full life,” says the dog. “I lived in the Alps rescuing avalanche victims. Then I served my country in Iraq, served an apprenticeship in die making And now I spend my days reading to the residents of a retirement home.”

The guy is flabbergasted. He asks the dog’s owner, “Why on Earth would you want to get rid of an incredible dog like that?”

The owner says, “Because he’s a liar! He never did any of that!”

Not for long with meaningless titles and idle chat threads....

Gonna start calling you "Teflon"

Wow, I didn't realize how important the 'cast iron' value was. In some foggy recess I thought I had informed the forum that I mostly machined plastic, only to find out its a forum badge. I would have thought machinists wouldn't choose it.

I was a part of developing the Carboloy negative Land for cast iron machining. I wanted to call it the Y land as in why does it work. I think they called it a K land. That made no sense.
There was no need for any positive rake with cast iron. The negative land gave more stock for cratering, more area for hear absorption so destoned to work and it did.

I was a part of developing the Carboloy negative Land for cast iron machining. I wanted to call it the Y land as in why does it work. I think they called it a K land. That made no sense.
There was no need for any positive rake with cast iron. The negative land gave more stock for cratering, more area for hear absorption so destoned to work and it did.
K-land as in Kennametal which the first to use it as a edge prep. Called a T-land by others to follow as to not promote the Kennametal name or worry about a trademark.
Effective in steel machining and used on most all brittle tools like cermets, ceramics, and CBN.
That land on the edge, angle and size, a whole art in itself
Y makes sense as to why, hard to think a 30 degree negative cutting edge gives 10 to 30 times the tool life over a up sharp or high positive.

I think I am off the track from the OP's question but buck lured me here so it is his fault.
Bob

Back