What's new
What's new

O-ring sealing

Develop

Plastic
Hello. I need to make a gasproof sealing between two pieces of metal inside a tube. Like this:

18170ED8-49BA-4CCC-A7D0-277CAE0A14AA.jpg66F7E3F7-3DE5-4355-B5AD-01B7634D0B33.jpg

I made two examples in the pictures above, the difference is the edge inside of the tube. I will put a O-ring at the edge that will seal the ball when it’s pushed against it, but I don’t know if the edge should be angular or smooth/round for best sealment. What do you think?

Lots of variables that matter here including but not limited to: environment pressure, static or dynamic application (reciprocating or rotary), o-ring durometer, squish allowance, material finish and hardness, etc. Check out the various o-ring gland design guides by Parker or Apple Rubber to get a better idea of the variables you need to define. Lower pressures/static applications are more forgiving to design flaws.

With just the info given I would go with the angled surface versus a sharp corner that could cut the o-ring. Again all depends on your application. Give us some more details and we can get you a better answer.

It’s for a dynamic reciprocating application. The O-ring can easily be replaced by a new one, so squishing is allowed if it make it seal better. The important part is that every new O-ring will seal the first time pressure is applied.

The tube is made out of steel.

Would a copper O-ring behind a rubber O-ring make a good seal?

Lots of variables that matter here including but not limited to: environment pressure, static or dynamic application (reciprocating or rotary), o-ring durometer, squish allowance, material finish and hardness, etc. Check out the various o-ring gland design guides by Parker or Apple Rubber to get a better idea of the variables you need to define. Lower pressures/static applications are more forgiving to design flaws.

With just the info given I would go with the angled surface versus a sharp corner that could cut the o-ring. Again all depends on your application. Give us some more details and we can get you a better answer.

It’s for a dynamic reciprocating application. The O-ring can easily be replaced by a new one, so squishing is allowed if it make it seal better. The important part is that every new O-ring will seal the first time pressure is applied.

The tube is made out of steel.

Would a copper O-ring behind a rubber O-ring make a good seal?

Important part hi-lighted....

If I understand this right the green circle is a "ball" that slides inside the tube (shown in gray). The O-ring
fits between the ball and the shoulder on the inside of the tube. If you use a tapered shoulder and there is
going to be much pressure on the ball I think you're going to have problems with the O-ring being pushed
deeper into the tube and breaking the seal. I would stick with a square shoulder and even consider making
it wider so there is a solid edge for the O-ring to push against--much less chance of it moving. As long as you
design the fit so the ball can't touch the shoulder of the tube I see no advantage whatsoever in using a
tapered shoulder...

https://www.parker.com/Literature/O-Ring Division Literature/ORD 5700.pdf

This is the one of the resources suggested. Perhaps look at page 4-21.

When you say this is a dynamic reciprocating seal are you saying that the green ball will be bouncing up in down against this seal? If that is the application I think you may want to redesign your seal. If your pressure is too high then I think the O-ring will permanently deform and fall out or at least loose it's ability to seal without some type of gland supporting/protecting it.

Last edited:
Just a curious question, I’ve seen O-rings made of rubber and copper, but is there any other materials they are made of? For example, isn’t lead softer than copper?

Some good information so far in here, and to point you in the right direction, what you want to do is covered on page 125 of the full manual linked by Limy Sami. A configuration like that (tapered or straight) will work as long as the ball seats against the shoulder, the o-ring is squeezed, and the volume available to the o-ring is somewhat greater than the gap between the ball and the wall.

The issue you can see right away based on Parker manual, page 125 is that in either direction, once the ball moves away from the seated position but the seal hasn't been broken, the o-ring will get blown out of position. To retain it, some care will need to be taken in groove design. This is based on (differential) pressure, pressure direction, o-ring durometer, and fluid to be sealed, none of which you have shared here. "Gasproof" as ambiguous since it could refer to liquid fuels or any variety of gasses.

More general information:

- Sharp corners are generally no-nos. They tend to cut o-rings even if you don't expect it to. They move around under pressure more than you might think.

- Permanent deformation happens in all situations and all designs. The degree of such is based on the rubber compound, the temperature, time, and deformation. Effective designs are those that can tolerate some amount of permanent deformation. 25% of the applied squeeze becoming permanent is typical.

Edit to add re: copper seals, typically copper will be used in specialty applications like pulling hard vacuum where it is unacceptable to have even the small amount of seepage rubber will allow through the material. It requires special groove and flange design and typically needs loads and loads of loading, like bolts every inch or two. Not something you're likely to make effective by tossing a ball towards it under pressure and hoping for the best.

I think you should find a copy of the Parker O-ring handbook. It describes all of that stuff in great detail.

They'll even mail you a print copy upon request.

Damn- late to this party. I do however suggest that anyone needing this info on a reg basis request their catalog.

Just a curious question, I’ve seen O-rings made of rubber and copper, but is there any other materials they are made of? For example, isn’t lead softer than copper?

Those are not actually O-rings. Those are seal rings for banjo fittings. Used for high pressure applications such as fuel injection lines and brake hose connections.

I have used Teflon O-rings before in certain applications. There are a pain in the arus to install in a OD groove! Almost as bad when used in internal groove, too!

Why ?
To doo the OP's homework ?

Several people have provide good links for the OP to READ & LEARN.

Doing somebody else´s homework is wrong but learning is never wrong, and one thing I like about this forum is knowledgeable people being extremely generous with their knowledge.

Develope: I suspect you don't really understand how o-rings work. Take the info that BugRobotics and Digger gave you and study it well. Don't confuse them with gaskets or piston rings.

JH

Back