What's new
What's new

O.T. airport travel these days

5 axis Fidia guy

Stainless
Hey guys, how bad is traveling thru Atlanta airport with all this virus scare? Is it a complete shit show with extra checkpoints, or business as usual. I'm not freaked out about the virus, just want to know if I should leave extra time.

Hey guys, how bad is traveling thru Atlanta airport with all this virus scare? Is it a complete shit show with extra checkpoints, or business as usual. I'm not freaked out about the virus, just want to know if I should leave extra time.

I went through Hartsfield Jackson 2 Saturdays ago, so post outbreak, but pre-current hysteria.

Through the domestic terminals, there was no change, aside from more people in masks. The checks were only in the international terminal, from what I understand.

That may have changed since.

I always travel to the same destination for work, and I always have the choice of a 36 minute layover or a 4 hour layover. I always take the 4 hour, so I don't have to worry about connections.

Air traffic is DOWN, world-wide. Airlines are hurting due to fixed costs still running, paying passengers, less-so. Even if US or EU domestic is less affected the same airlines ARE affected.

Wife & M'In-Law made it out of HKG, into the US, just before it became a major issue. Eldest Niece has postponed a wedding set for Okinawa until later in the year. Conferences, conventions, training, etc. have been cancelled, globally.

Seems wise to avoid concentrations of people, especially where unified HVAC is in use. Quarantine ON a Cruise Ship? In retrospect, that was akin to ga-ron-TEE'ing exposure.

If I "just had to" make a biz trip? I'd want to do it in my own motorcar, stay-over in VERY small-town motels, not hotels. Their typical per-each room through-the-wall unitary heat-pumps have lower risk of spreading a disease than consolidated whole-building HVAC.

2CW

I travel for work and took a flight recently (this week)....business as usual. No additional checkpoints or screening. The airport was just as busy as it always is. The plane was packed with no empty seats. Yes, it was major international airport that serves a boat ton of planes/travelers.

Flew Ft Meyers-Toronto-Vancouver on Thursday-Friday and it was pretty normal, other than a 12 hour Air Canada delay for special Air Canada reasons. I think it's going to hit harder though in the next week or two. I was just at a consumer trade show this afternoon which was packed, but I wouldn't be surprised if such events start to get cancelled in North America even in a few days from now. Remember everyone: when out and about, wash your hands and don't touch your face.

Major East Coast hub. Hard to NOT be.

I liked Painted Post, for low-hassle, meself:

Airport Information for CORNING-PAINTED POST - 7N1

Bring yer best soft field techniques...... and decent mud boots.

It ain't even paved.....

:)

Or… just go into Franklin (pa) and get pushed out on final by an Ignoring CAP pilut (doing a straight in approach), and just land next to the runway on the grass....A J-3 makes things easier eh ?

I returned from Australia earlier today, changing planes at LAX. The international terminal and Delta's domestic terminal were no different whatever from any previous trip. That is, there was zero difference from any previous trip.

While waiting in line at the ticket counter in Australia I was asked the same screening questions I've been asked the past 20 years ("who packed your bags..."), but with the additional question of whether I'd been to China, Iran, or Italy in the past two weeks. However, anyone who has paid the least bit of attention to the news would know that answering 'yes' to that question would keep them from boarding the plane so, for protecting the public's health, that question is useless.

During the MERS outbreak I passed an IR camera in the Beijing airport. From the display I could tell they had set the threshold of the camera at ~98.6 oF to make anyone with a fever stand out like a sore thumb. Screening like that is effective, but implementing such measures requires a government that consults experts and then allocates resources to solving the problem rather than to PR. Experts have been calling attention to Covid-19 for two months but, as of today, no IR cameras are set up in the International Arrivals hall of LAX.

I'm not an expert in communicable diseases so I don't know what the best, most effective screening methods would be for Covid-19. However, I do know that asking people to self-report and be banned from travel if they give what any halfway informed person knows is the wrong answer is not an effective screening method.

Slightly off topic but for all the U.S. members, flying within the U.S. will require new ID to board a flight. You'll need what's called a REAL drivers license or passport. This all comes into effect October 1 2020.
Be prepared

Slightly off topic but for all the U.S. members, flying within the U.S. will require new ID to board a flight. You'll need what's called a REAL drivers license or passport. This all comes into effect October 1 2020.
Be prepared

"...or a passport"

Or just fly your own plane.

Well while she was cogitating over whether it would even be a good idea or not, given the mass of human turd vs bird-turd, the Devil got into the rental market, and here we are...

And that's the one (and only) good thing about Canadian geese.
They don't crap in flight.....:ack2:

Really don’t want to run into any geese in a plane. Might ask Sully...

Missed by few feet a cockpit strike from some big bird on short final around y2k. Came close to losing the turd from this human.

L7

And that's the one (and only) good thing about Canadian geese.
They don't crap in flight.....:ack2:

In a PA-28, AA5B, or 172 RG?

Neither did *I* !!!

:D

Owner pulled one of the PA-28's I had been renting off the line at the FBO while awaiitng time to have the A&P's install a new wing-tank & skin he had already purchased.

Talk about bird strikes on climb-out?

Seems some poor left-seater hit and kilt a paniced white tailed DEER with the PA-28's wing on his take-off run!

I knew the owner, and he my skill and care of his aircraft well-enough by then to keep renting it privately for night-time VFR biz commuting.

Prop was OK, wing had been cleared as still flyable. It didn't even fly all that differently, given the big dent in the leading edge was close to the root.

What world do we now live in in the USA or worldwide to get on a airplane?
How paranoid can we get and how to pay for that. 9-11 made for a lot of paychecks, someone financed that.
Bob

Back