What's new
What's new

O/T - Ali Babin strikes again?

If Al Babin, indeed, converted to Ali, we should expect more strikes.

Just in case, I'd recheck if your lathe is still in Ontario and not in California.

I never understood why machinery dealers are listing machines they don't have. Are they just trying to get contacted, and then do a bait and switch?

I never understood why machinery dealers are listing machines they don't have.
Sometimes it's just the photo they don't have. Easier to grab one off the internet than drive fifty miles, and the guy who has it in his garage can't be bothered to go out and take one. Lazy, but until you get serious, what's the problem ? Go to the grocery store, they will have on-sale photos of pork chops that are not the ones you get, too.

I never understood why machinery dealers are listing machines they don't have. Are they just trying to get contacted, and then do a bait and switch?

Probably. Sometimes a switch to nothing.

Another possible reason to list something that is no longer available is to give the impression that things are selling fast, so don't dawdle, or you'll miss out yet again. So skip the due diligence.

Global machine brokers is a reputable outfit as far as I can tell, located about 20mins from Babin. I dealt with them last maybe 8yrs ago so my info is somewhat dated but back then they had both inhouse inventory and then brokered a lot of equipment for customers.

I can't speak for them on anything recent but they are definitely a different outfit. Seemed to hold a lot higher end stuff than Babin.

Heck, Babin's place is always interesting to walk thru if one's in the area though from reading other's experiences I wouldn't trust him on anything I couldn't carry/drive off the property with.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Global machine brokers is a reputable outfit as far as I can tell, located about 20mins from Babin. I dealt with them last maybe 8yrs ago so my info is somewhat dated but back then they had both inhouse inventory and then brokered a lot of equipment for customers.

I can't speak for them on anything recent but they are definitely a different outfit. Seemed to hold a lot higher end stuff than Babin.

Heck, Babin's place is always interesting to walk thru if one's in the area though from reading other's experiences I wouldn't trust him on anything I couldn't carry/drive off the property with.

Do you still have your Emco v13. ? I seem to be the only guy on the planet who owns an Emco v 13 with a permanent gap. It must be the biggest balls up Emco ever designed. If you work close up to the chuck about a quarter of the saddle hangs in the gap. To compensate my compound slide is waaay longer than a standerd compound for a v 13 but this creates a serious loss of rigidity.

Do you still have your Emco v13. ? I seem to be the only guy on the planet who owns an Emco v 13 with a permanent gap. It must be the biggest balls up Emco ever designed. If you work close up to the chuck about a quarter of the saddle hangs in the gap. To compensate my compound slide is waaay longer than a standerd compound for a v 13 but this creates a serious loss of rigidity.
Yep still have it, mine doesn't have a gap but it's a great machine.

One thing I can't figure out is how it handles threading as there's no thread dial but it always works. Does yours have a thread dial?

No matter where you engage the lead screw it picks up on the thread. I know Emco used to sell a thread dial for this machine but I have yet to find a thread pitch that requires one. Only problem on the machine is I need to one day figure out how to tighten the spindle bearing preload as it struggles with a cutoff tool. The manual isn't much help in telling you how to do it either as it essentially tells you to tighten till you are happy. I would think something that critical would be more scientific?

Anyhow sorry for the thread hijack.

One thing I can't figure out is how it handles threading as there's no thread dial but it always works. Does yours have a thread dial?

No matter where you engage the lead screw it picks up on the thread. I know Emco used to sell a thread dial for this machine but I have yet to find a thread pitch that requires one.

Most common threads can be cut by engaging the half nut at any dial location:

https://groups.io/g/EmcoSuper11lath...anual/Super 11 Manual (Thread Dial, p 58).pdf

Back