What's new
What's new

O/T - Any suggestions for a quality "ignition point file"?

Files suck these days. I have found Bahco (made in portugal) to be pretty good, and looks like there might be a point file in their Engineer’s set.

I use teh "Snap-On "flex stones for point filing.
These are two sided abrasive coated over a flexible carrier made in a narrow strip the width of a rigid point file...Advantage is that the flexibility allows use is awkward positions.
Further the strips can be trimmed narrower when needed also you can cut worn sections off the end for a fresh area...they come in a package ...maybe 10 to a pack and are
as you might guess consumable....work well.
Cheers Ross

Terry, in a previous life as a mechanic, point files were available with small ignition tool sets. now probably no longer available from Mac or Snap On.
The file from Proto looks no different than what we use to use.

But you could try a file that woman use for manicures. They even come in stainless.

On edit I see faster typers beat me to it

I second the finger nail files mentioned by pavt. My wife buys the diamond coated nail files and they last a long, long time. Price is very reasonable. She just wonders why they keep disappearing.

+1 nail file. However, Dad put an electronic ignition on his Farmall M awhile back and it has never run so good. I don't know what you're working on but I think they are available for just about anything nowadays

Files suck these days. I have found Bahco (made in portugal) to be pretty good, and looks like there might be a point file in their Engineer’s set.

Bahco is Sandvik. Decent goods, value-for-money all-around, easily found.

I've always needed "all of the above", depending.

Bahco now, others, back then, for gross shaping,
GOOD manicure files for touch-up,
and most of all the Jonard already mentioned for final-touch finesse or "preventive" burnishing where no damage is yet a factor.

Even uncoated paper "fish" paper - no obvious abrasive coating - drawn thru a relay's contact set is useful on general principal before putting long-idle goods back to work.

Can you get Vallorbe files over there?

Vallorbe Files

Sold at some point under Grobet USA brand. Now rebrands chinese, indian and god knows what under Grobet USA brand. Currently best Grobet USA files are sourced from Italian Corradi.

Corradi (made in italy Grobet USA) is supposed to be decent.
Bahco decent but not Viiala. ;)
Pferd (Germany, possibly also some Corradi rebrands)
Dick (Germany)

And best of all this mess: Apparently some Nicholson branded needle files come nowadays from Vallorbe Swiss. :crazy:
Local "harbor freight" style store in here: Cheapest unbranded chain saw files: Vallorbe Swiss. :crazy:

Thanks for the replies.

I was using them to shape 17-4 ss parts, they were just the right size and flexibility.

Anyone have experience with Elora files/products?

Produktdetails Elora Shop

I've never knowingly used Elora files, but Elora wrenches etc etc were (all mine are 20 + years old) always good for me, and they state they're still made in Germany Startseite Elora Werkzeugfabrik

FWIW I rate my era and older Elora wrenches with 50's & 60's Blue Point / JH Williams quality

Vallorbe and Grobet Suisse (swiss, not grobet usa) are still great files. I buy mine from Otto Frei here in the states.

Heller, Simmonds, and Lennox?.. IF I recall correctly.. were what we ONCE used. 60 years ago. Some of my Swiss are that old. But nurtured, "babied". Held back for special needs.

Black Diamond used to do all the grunt work. Now I am not fussed.

Truth is I just do not USE files even ten percent as often.

I/we have more machines. More grinders, stones, abrasives, better saws, oscillating and recip powered tools, belt sanders, and all manner of other "stuff" that tackles a task in a different manner that WAS file territory, but is no longer.

Back