What's new
What's new

O/T: Best heavy duty wool socks?

Terry Keeley

Titanium
Had a pair of Canadian military issue heavy wool socks, finally wore them out and looking for a replacement.

I see nothing like them online, they were rough looking, kinda fuzzy and really, really heavy. Man were they warm.

Any ideas?

If you have big feet(12+) Oddball is the place to go. They carry wool socks. No ideas on quality but their cotton socks are very good.
Bil lD.
Note: if you wear size 12 shoes your sock size is 14. Most socks max out at size 12 so only fit up to a size 10 man's foot. And asize 10 foot will be a tight fit.

IIRC socks with some blend of poly or somesuch wear better with little effect on insulation

Yeah, army navy store, or serious outfitters like REI [in the NE US]

All you guys can wear wool directly on your skin? Congrats, I’m one of the small % with a bad reaction to that, since infancy. Feet are the most susceptible for me.

Darn tough are hands down the best wool sock I've ever encountered. And not only are they super comfortable, they have a lifetime warranty. I just had them replace 2 of my oldest pairs. And made in the USA.

Pete

I wear clothing from LL Bean. They have great merchandise backed up with a great warranty. Today is the last day of a 25% off sale on everything. If you have their Mastercard, you get free shipping and free returns.

I have their Cresta model hiking socks that I wear with boots for lawn mowing and snow blowing. They have lasted at least ten years with no shrinkage and no holes and still look like new.

I just looked at their current sock list and see that they sell the Darn Tough brand, made in Vermont and also Smart Wool. If LLB sells them, they are good.

But getting back to the original question, they have a model that fits the really heavy description. One reviewer said he could not get his feet in his boots because they were so thick.

Men's Adults' L.L.Bean Boot Socks

Larry

Back