What's new
What's new

O/T - Car crash behind me tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were on the 401 this afternoon as well. Tool in the Golf was probably riding the SUV’s butt, in the slow lane no less, and got brake checked. Hopefully Golf’s insurance sees it as a single-vehicle crash and gives them nothing.

Far too many morons in a hurry to get nowhere on Hwy 401.

I do not see the trucks nose move down so he did not brake check the little car. All the cars stayed in relative formation except the little one who made the mistakes of changing lanes too fast and lost control.
Bill D

I do not see the trucks nose move down so he did not brake check the little car. All the cars stayed in relative formation except the little one who made the mistakes of changing lanes too fast and lost control.
Bill D

Looked to me as if "little (AKA shit-ugly) car" had also been running on a soft front tire that reminded him the hard way why tire-pressure and condition matters for more than just lazy low-stress straight-line strolling.

Most of them out there already have undersized and over-loaded wheels shod with tires of poor quality and capacity to keep rolling loss and initial cost down. Too damned far down.

doesn't seem there was anything wrong with the car, it is just how physics works, he was late getting out of the first left (overshot the 2nd lane...), then late correcting the right turn and then the pendulum took over, classic moose test scenario and lack of understanding of vehicle dynamics

and the car in front of him did seem to brake, the front car distance to camera kept decreasing and then BEFORE the Golf had to pull to the right the distance it increased quite quickly, not defending the Golf driver, just an observation

I've had numerous times drivers being overtaken pull all sorts of crap thinking - they will teach a lesson to the "aggressive" driver not realizing the danger of what they are doing, from my experience, maybe 1 out of every 10 drivers will aid an overtake (move a bit more to the right, maybe lift a little when the overtaker is side by side to increase speed difference etc), 8 will be indifferent at best and then you get "special" person that will veer left and/or speed up having you move deeper in the other lane and maybe even drop down a gear to accelerate quicker

I had this happen. Kids watching their phone while driving, poking along very slowly
Passed them on the right and 1/2 a mile later they catch back up with me, finally see me, stab the brakes and spin, just like this, luckily they didn't hit anything

It appears the initial hard turn might be combined with hard braking but it is kinda hard to tell.

Around here I find people watching their phones sit in the left lane as the guardrail keeps them aligned in their lane

Unfortunately this happens far too often. An impatient driver who overestimates his driving skills (and the capabilities of his car) tries a high risk maneuver and loses control. Even with a highly skilled driver and a better handling car that type of close quarters lane change at speed has a high risk of failure.

I suspect phone use had nothing to do with it. The driver was fully alert and engaged and fell victim to his own aggressiveness.

Unfortunately this happens far too often. An impatient driver who overestimates his driving skills (and the capabilities of his car) tries a high risk maneuver and loses control. Even with a highly skilled driver and a better handling car that type of close quarters lane change at speed has a high risk of failure.

I suspect phone use had nothing to do with it. The driver was fully alert and engaged and fell victim to his own aggressiveness.

"Tetris Players".... see them on a 4 lane on the morning drive every day.

GOT to get in front of you before the next traffic light.

Typical Ontario drivers, we get them down here (no taxes on clothing)
YouTube

Quite simple to accomplish, just crank the wheel hard to make a pass at last moment. While all the other theories about hand held device/distracted might be involved, this result requires none of those.

Golf's are very capable on the track without mods so it is not the car's fault.

"Tetris Players".... see them on a 4 lane on the morning drive every day.

GOT to get in front of you before the next traffic light.

Typical Ontario drivers, we get them down here (no taxes on clothing)
YouTube

There is almost nothing that ticks me off more when driving than the asshole that pulls out in front of you slloowwwlly when there isn't a car behind you for a mile or last traffic light or whatever.

That was really good defensive driving by the two cars immediately behind the out of control vehicle. Kudos to them.

I have learned my driving technique from my CNC career. When I first started running CNCs (many years ago), the rapid rates were 100 to 150 inches per minute - wow - that was "mess my pants gonads sucking up between the legs fast". Now they are 700 or 1000 inches per minute - increase tool to work piece engagement time. That's how I now like to drive. No sense in spending "non-productive" time in-between destinations!

doesn't seem there was anything wrong with the car, it is just how physics works,

What I said. Physics.

One tire softer than the other, significant shift of mass from sudden braking and/or direction-change input - both in this case - and the imbalance in grip is magnified - deals-out a nasty surprise.

Front-wheel drive vehicle are stressed. Front tires are already responsible for 60 to 70 percent of "all work" as to power, braking, and directional control as well as simple straight load-carrying. Good tires, balanced pressure become more critical than on RWD.

That was really good defensive driving by the two cars immediately behind the out of control vehicle. Kudos to them.

I have learned my driving technique from my CNC career. When I first started running CNCs (many years ago), the rapid rates were 100 to 150 inches per minute - wow - that was "mess my pants gonads sucking up between the legs fast". Now they are 700 or 1000 inches per minute - increase tool to work piece engagement time. That's how I now like to drive. No sense in spending "non-productive" time in-between destinations!

Don't try that in Virginia, there are more cops in this state lying in wait, hidden in the bushy, thickly treed medians with speed guns than there are grains of sand at the beach, even in sparsely populated areas. The State Police does not patrol, there are some stretches were there is one every mile stashed in the median. Someone who recklessly darts in and out during congestion will never be caught as long as they aren't speeding. Also 80 mph is considered reckless driving here, that is a whopping 10 over if you do it in a 70 zone. Some sparsely populated counties have as many county sheriffs per square mile as you will see city police in the larger cities. Most states when you are well off the beaten path cops will be a rarity, not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back