What's new
What's new

O.T. Columbus Ohio Places to eat.

gmach10

Hot Rolled
It's that wonderful time of the year again time to move the son out of the dorm at THE Ohio State and into an apartment. To his credit he landed a good internship for the summer. He's studying to be a Civil Engineer. My question is where is there a regular restaurant? I'm not bad rapping Columbus I think it is a wonderful city, put it up against Chicago any day of the week (except for pizza, Italian beef and hot dogs). But where are all the regular guy places to eat. I have never seen so many franchise eateries in my life. Where are the Mom & Pop breakfast places, where can you get a decent lunch or dinner without it being a sports bar? BTW, anyone who comes this way and doesn't check out German village you don't know the architecture you're missing.

I have not lived there for many years, but there's tons of good food. Anything on High Street south of the University will be good. I used to like Bodega.

A little further south is Dirty Franks. It's a hot dog place. It's awesome.

Even further south is German Village. Lot's of good German food there.

Several good places at the Farmers Market. They used to have a great Vietnamese sandwich shop. Yum.

Stay out of the suburbs if you hate chains. You need to go downtown. Parking sucks. Every place will be packed with douchy hipsters. But, good food and drink.

Schmidt's. Any El Vaquero. Most anywhere in Grandview Heights area -- (Wave when you pass by!) -- Spagio, The Avenue, Figlio, Grandview Cafe, Fusian on 5th, Marshall's Grandview, 3rd and Hollywood; but skip: Z Cusina, Bravo, Jimmy V's, Red Door Tavern, Matt the Miller and Loops. Back to good ones: Cap City Diner on Olentangy, or most Cameron Mitchell places (chain, though). DK Diner. Clintonville area on High Street. Starliner Diner. Ted's Montana Grill (chain). Buca di Beppo (chain, kitchen or Pope room is best). Refectory. Lindy's. Thurman Cafe. Katzinger's Deli. Sweet Carrot. Mitchell's Steakhouse. Nada. Many, many more.

Campus area is being spit-polished by Campus Partners Inc., and anyplace with real character is on the way out the door, if not gone already. Sadness.

Oh there are so many, just a few off the top of my head...

Hickory House
Cap City Diner
Rusty Bucket
City BBQ
El Vaquera
Lindeys
Schmidt's Sausage Haus
Thurman's Cafe
Katzinger's Delicatessen
Elevator Brewery
Smoke House Brewing
The Pearl
Marcellas
Trattoria Roma

Adding
Nancy's Home Cooking just north of campus on High St.

Back in 2000 or so ,We used to go down to Columbus to the OGCA gun show, The last time We stopped at Max & Erma's and I tried one of their" Garbage Burgers]".
It was awesome, Till I got back home a couple hrs.away; And had my first of three heart attacks. They were super,BUT I don't think they quite agreed with me.
Dave [acme thread]

Back in 2000 or so ,We used to go down to Columbus to the OGCA gun show, The last time We stopped at Max & Erma's and I tried one of their" Garbage Burgers]".
It was awesome, Till I got back home a couple hrs.away; And had my first of three heart attacks. They were super,BUT I don't think they quite agreed with me.
Dave [acme thread]

Not what it used to be. The Burgers at Ted's Montana or the Rusty Bucket are better.

Mozart's on North High was great when it was a little hole in the wall, and was still pretty good at the new location (same owner) last time I was in town.

It isn't the same sort as Chicago deep dish, but I enjoy the pizza at Adriatico's down on campus. Note that if you so much as consider parking in the lot behind the building (belongs to a different business), your car will be towed. Happened to a friend of mine on a Sunday afternoon in the time it took to walk around the building and grab a carry out order.

Several years ago I enjoyed dinner at Confluence Park on Spring St, but have gotten mixed reviews from others.

Before Applebees was everywhere Max and Erma's was a family favorite. Now the original location is gone and it feels a lot more like another Applebees.

Edit: desert at Graeter's Ice Cream.

Thank you one and all for all the choices We ended up at The Hickory House very tasty indeed. Also a sports bar on the next street west of Olentangy River Road. Good food. As we pulled in I had to check under the hood of my son's car. Someone came out of the restaurant and asked if we needed a jump. Awesome city to be sure. jccaclimber was your car grabbed by C&M towing? They have quite a reputation down there! Reminds me of the Steve Goodman song called The Lincoln Park Pirates. Next on the agenda is to find a reputable car repair shop. Not expecting trouble but should it arise he needs it to get to work. I left him with a small assortment of tools. Between that and the internet he should be okay. But I'm not against any recommendations. Thanks again PM!!!

Thank you one and all for all the choices We ended up at The Hickory House very tasty indeed. Also a sports bar on the next street west of Olentangy River Road. Good food. As we pulled in I had to check under the hood of my son's car. Someone came out of the restaurant and asked if we needed a jump. Awesome city to be sure. jccaclimber was your car grabbed by C&M towing? They have quite a reputation down there! Reminds me of the Steve Goodman song called The Lincoln Park Pirates. Next on the agenda is to find a reputable car repair shop. Not expecting trouble but should it arise he needs it to get to work. I left him with a small assortment of tools. Between that and the internet he should be okay. But I'm not against any recommendations. Thanks again PM!!!

Not my car fortunately, although I was involved in the eating of said pizza. Thinking about it he should have known better as he went to OSU and used to live down on campus. Don't know the towing company or the specifics, just remember him being pretty angry that his $10 share of the pizza became a $100+ share.

My father worked on campus (Med. Center) for 36 years before being retired. He always warned me there were only three reliable ways to park on campus:
1) With a current A parking sticker and no blue/yellow stickers on your car. Anything less and you might spend more time walking from your parking spot, if you found one, than to where his office was.
2) By bus so you don't have to.
3) By bicycle, but don't leave it outside no matter how good a lock you have.

They used to joke that if they could get ambulances to arrive to injured people as fast as tow trucks arrive to parked cars you wouldn't need the trauma helicopters.

As far a reputable repair shops go, that's sort of like low cost machine shops that produce high quality work with no lead time. Must be why I had to learn to fix them myself.

Edit: My father did use the shop just NE of EN Broadway and Indianola in Clintonville, but only after he got in over his head on things. That was 15 years ago and they're still there, so they may be ok. No recent experiences.

McCarthy's is always a great place to eat; their burgers are great. I've been there at least a dozen times.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I've used Lind Automotive on West Johnstown Rd in Gahanna (close to where I670 ends and becomes US62). Bexley Automotive has a good reputation too. There has to be some good mom & pop shops in Grandview, Upper Arlington and Clintonville areas.

In Grandview, Tom & Jerry's is good, as is Valentino's on 5th. Neither open on Saturday, though. Tuffy's next to Dairy Queen is, last time I checked. (Also on 5th.)

Several shops along a row at Lane and Kinnear, (half-a-block off Kinnear.) Unknown Saturday hours.

What kind of car, and what's the issue? I've got a wrench out in the garage if you need it...

PM with phone details.

McDonalds, Burger King, and of course "Wendys"...:D

There's a crop of them at every exit on the thruway....:ack2:

white castle.

they call them "Krystal" here in GA , but it's the same white trash.
different placement of the onions, but same ol' grease.

you can buy them in the freezer of kroger, whatever.

if you really want ohio food,....Donatos has some really cardboard
tasting pizza, again
you can (why?) buy that shit frozen in a supermarket.

In Grandview, Tom & Jerry's is good, as is Valentino's on 5th. Neither open on Saturday, though. Tuffy's next to Dairy Queen is, last time I checked. (Also on 5th.)

Several shops along a row at Lane and Kinnear, (half-a-block off Kinnear.) Unknown Saturday hours.

What kind of car, and what's the issue? I've got a wrench out in the garage if you need it...

PM with phone details.

Thank You Chip Chester. Sorry for taking so long to respond. As usual life is running at about 180 MPH again. Daughter came in from Baltimore for a few days during her abbreviated spring break. The car isn't experiencing any problems at the moment. It's a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer. 4 door, yeah a real chick magnet! It runs gets good mileage the brakes are good and so are the brake and fuel lines. I drove it down from Chicago 2 weeks ago and don't know when I'll get my eyes on it again. I was going to put a picture I took of him in front of "School Up North's" (Michigan) football field under the hood. I know damn well if he were to see that I'd hear about it if and when he checks the oil. Just wanted to have place in mind if a problem should arise.

No worries, and hope the info isn't needed.
Add sigmaTech on Scioto Darby Executive Court. Thorough, trustworthy and cost-effective. (Much farther away from campus, though -- almost to 270 on the west side, and not real EZ to get to.)

Had several years of 'managing' car health care by remote when my son was down in Athens at OU, and for a little while in Louisville KY... Cars ranged from older BMW, Subaru, and Volvo. Not exactly "turn-your-kid-loose-with-it" cars, because they don't often take kindly to just anybody wrenching on 'em. Not like a Ford or Chevy. But they made it through, and hope yours will, too.

Back