Close
Login to Your Account
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Posting this copy here as well as the other Cov19 thread

So there's talk about the mail possibly being contaminated. And I thought of putting the important mail in a container outside and letting it sit there for 2-3 days as they say the virus dies off in that time. Then I wondered if putting a elevated base in the bottom and adding about 1/2" of Clorox in the bottom (with a cover on top) might help speed the process. No idea if that's plausible or fantasy.
    But then I began to google Chlorine Gas, thinking about Chlorine in municipal water systems and swimming pools, and they do recommend washing down surfaces with bleach to kill Cov19. And I found a paper where a study was done in Japan I think, back in 2011 about possibly using low levels of Chlorine Gas to disinfect rooms, like daycare, etc. The paper says it's effective at such low levels, 'residents don't need to be evacuated'. So....IF it's viable, why not inject proper levels of Chlorine Gas into hospital HVAC systems to help disinfect?

Here's the paper
    Error - Cookies Turned Off
    Your post reminds me of why so many people locally are calling this "crazy".

Please understand that I'm not calling YOU crazy - you are simply reacting to the fear-mongering "news" that has millions of people behaving irrationally. There are rational precautions and then there are over-the-top reactions that exceed common sense.

Let me ask you this; how TF are you supposed to LIVE if you assume everything coming into the house is contaminated? I just got back from a long walk and the sidewalks are littered with newspapers that people are too afraid to pick up, even to put in the trash. I'm seeing carelessly discarded (as in litter) gloves and wipes all over the place, especially near things like USPS mail boxes. I'm wondering how people deal with delivered food that "could" be contaminated even inside the sealed packaging.

Several professionals in psychology are warning that the casualties from fear may eventually outnumber coronavirus deaths. There were thousands of suicides after the financial crash of 2008 and this is likely to be much, much worse if it continues even another month. Police are already seeing an uptick in domestic violence as cooped up families fray at each other's nerves. I think it highly probable that eventually suicides, murders, and deaths from stress-related illness will greatly outnumber those attributed to coronavirus before this is over.

"If I get hit by a car and die from my injuries,
    please don't let them swab my dead mouth and declare me a coronavirus death."

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Your post reminds me of why so many people locally are calling this "crazy".

Please understand that I'm not calling YOU crazy - you are simply reacting to the fear-mongering "news" that has millions of people behaving irrationally. There are rational precautions and then there are over-the-top reactions that exceed common sense.

Let me ask you this; how TF are you supposed to LIVE if you assume everything coming into the house is contaminated? I just got back from a long walk and the sidewalks are littered with newspapers that people are too afraid to pick up, even to put in the trash. I'm seeing carelessly discarded (as in litter) gloves and wipes all over the place, especially near things like USPS mail boxes. I'm wondering how people deal with delivered food that "could" be contaminated even inside the sealed packaging.

Several professionals in psychology are warning that the casualties from fear may eventually outnumber coronavirus deaths. There were thousands of suicides after the financial crash of 2008 and this is likely to be much, much worse if it continues even another month. Police are already seeing an uptick in domestic violence as cooped up families fray at each other's nerves. I think it highly probable that eventually suicides, murders, and deaths from stress-related illness will greatly outnumber those attributed to coronavirus before this is over.

"If I get hit by a car and die from my injuries,
    please don't let them swab my dead mouth and declare me a coronavirus death."
    Ok Scott will do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coronavirus Mitigation Tips - Over The Top?

Last night on the news they had a local doctor showing how to make an improvised mask to protect against coronavirus. He started with a HEPA filter from a home center, taped it over his mouth and nose and then wrapped a T shirt around the lower part of his face and neck. Then he put on safety glasses, which he called "goggles", and then wrapped a second T shirt around the top of his head leaving only the "goggles" exposed. He finished by binding the upper T shirt to his head with copper wire saying that the virus can't live on copper.

The overall effect was to make him look like a character in one of those post-apocalyptic movies where they wander through a desert wasteland. It was so funny we burst out laughing and obviously others thought so as well because this morning the tape had been edited to eliminate the upper wrap.

Someone mentioned the risks of going into a bank with a mask. At the local bank when someone wearing a mask comes up to a teller they ask them to briefly lower the mask so they can confirm their identity and tell them that they cannot transact financial business with a person they can't identify. No face no money, no exceptions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Knik Inlet ? From the downtownish area, maybe ? Looks similar to the view from Turnagain but twisted a little. Can you see McKinley ? And very upscale from pioneer days ... on the anchor, on the anchor, echoes to the sky ... medical, living in Alaska, you probably know Sandy Gottstein ? Tell her hi
    I live in Alaska-lite. Closer to Seattle than Anchorage. I'm the radiologist in Ketchikan, AK. The body of water is Nichol's Passage. The land mass on the right are a series of peninsulas at the southern end of Gravina Is., where the bridge to nowhere was going to go. Barely visible in the photo at the horizon is southern end of Prince of Wales. That photo was taken at about 70 ft above mean low tide. The lower 500 ft of POW isn't visible due to the curvature of the earth. I tried to commit suicide by climbing up Deer Mtn when I first got here. In this zoomed photo of the southern end of POW at that elevation you can see Cape Chacon. The mirage above the clouds to the left is Graham Island I believe.
    Deer Mtn 102 | south sourthwest | rad1211 | Flickr

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

Someone mentioned the risks of going into a bank with a mask. At the local bank when someone wearing a mask comes up to a teller they ask them to briefly lower the mask so they can confirm their identity and tell them that they cannot transact financial business with a person they can't identify. No face no money, no exceptions.
    Our banks simply locked the lobby doors, every one goes to the drive thru....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Get over it!

If you need chlorine gas to get your mail, life is not worth living....
    When I was 19 I worked in a place that processed aluminum scrap. They pulled the Mg out of the Al by bubbling chlorine gas through the Al. We used half face respirators when we raked the MgCl2 from the surface. I've breathed dilute Cl gas farther away from the furnace. It hurts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    It will never be "another flu bug". It's its own thing. Less bothersome to most people but deadly to some, and the some numbers are way larger than the flu-some numbers.

How do people die from flu, out of morbid curiosity ? Frothing thrashing in distress, or fairly quietly ?
    I have never seen someone die from the flu. At that point they have ARDS so it's not specific to the flu. I think both ways depending on how precipitous the end is and whether they are hospitalized and drugged.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Borrowed this link from EG's post number #142.
    The U.S. tried to build a new fleet of ventilators. The mission failed. | Boston.com
    Anyone heard about the rotating bed that KCI was experimenting with about 15 years ago. Pneumonia patients were strapped in and it rotated back and forth to prevent accumulation of fluids. Employees told me they nicknamed it the Lazarus bed because patients near death could be put into this thing and be walking around in a couple of days.
    Not sure if KCI is still in San Antonio. We made a lot of parts for them back till they required all the certification. A few years later they were bought out by a competing wound care company. I have not heard anything about them lately. After the buy out, I think competing technologies and other lines were dropped.

Still have boxes of KCI parts in the corners, we made 100,000s of parts for them with not one reject but that was not good enough. Some of the left over parts were for hospital beds.

Anyone know if rotating hospital beds for pneumonia are in use today?
    There are prone beds for rotating the patient but it can be done manually as well. This is being done for the severely affected COVID patients.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Guy View Post
    I'm the radiologist in Ketchikan,
    No wonder I got the location wrong, what's the sun doing in your photo ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya winters are wet here but there are still times when the weather moves in from the north and we have sunny skies. My first month here was Sept 2011. There were only 3 days it didn't rain that month. There was a stretch where it rained continuously for 4 days. Thankfully that month was an anomaly. We've actually had several droughts since I've been here. We normally have hydropower but had to bring in diesel generators.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are prone beds for rotating the patient but it can be done manually as well. This is being done for the severely affected COVID patients.
    And as for the ventilator shortage, the anesthesiologists are largely furloughed due to the ban on elective surgery. They can adapt their equipment if they had to AND they have ample training.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I an not a doctor
    Some speculation is that close talking may be dangerous with no sneezing or coughing.
    That people with other ailments have higher death rate.
    That proper iodine level can aid ones immune system.
    About 80% of corona cases are mild.
    1 to 10% of confirmed end up with death...much depending on location, ones health, and one's age.
    I know this is old news and everybody knows that

13. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Our banks simply locked the lobby doors, every one goes to the drive thru....
    Almost all banks in the DFW area closed their drive thru years ago.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to make light of the virus but the current situation has become to some extent a self-fulfilling prophecy. If the media breathlessly (yes, a bad pun) describe COVID-19 as a "pandemic," and the resultant panic by itself halts commerce for several weeks, then the end result is indistinguishable from a pandemic...except for the actual death toll—which, at some point will have become secondary in importance to the long-term economic damage.

If we get out of this with an attributable annual death count anywhere near that of our seasonally recurring respiratory crud, then those in authority who reacted will be said to have overreacted and future warnings will be taken less seriously. And there will be those who warn against the next warnings as just another move to take away freedom and empower yet more unelected officials. Sort of like anti-vaxxers.

Personally, I half resent being effectively taken out of social and business circulation for the next few weeks, but I am also impressed by Trump ordering the SBA to guarantee the payroll protection loans and the speed with which they complied. Three days after signing the act and the forms were downloadable and you could drop them off at your bank. Which we did. I'm not a fan of bailouts, but if this goes through it will have preserved a dozen pretty decent jobs at a level far, far removed from General Motors. An acceptable use of my tax dollars...although I still like tanks and planes.

16. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are currently shipping PPE outside the US:

U.S. vendors have sold 280 million masks — mostly into the export market — and that U.S. states and local governments were outbid in the frenzy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2e3_story.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everyone is wondering why one person gets light symptoms and another is on death's door in not time. I thinking it is the load of virus particles that infect the person. Could it be a person that picks up a couple particles in the nose or sinus develops antibodies before the infected cells rupture and spread particles to the lungs? Another person inhales many thousands of particles and his lungs are infected from one end to the other and goes critical quickly?
    Maybe it is exactly the opposite because of an unknown factor.

Just thinking out loud.

19. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are currently shipping PPE outside the US:

U.S. vendors have sold 280 million masks — mostly into the export market — and that U.S. states and local governments were outbid in the frenzy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2e3_story.html

That really sucks.

I'd point out that the Executive branch could easily stop that. Likely should have, and should.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Everyone is wondering why one person gets light symptoms and another is on death's door in not time. I thinking it is the load of virus particles that infect the person. Could it be a person that picks up a couple particles in the nose or sinus develops antibodies before the infected cells rupture and spread particles to the lungs? Another person inhales many thousands of particles and his lungs are infected from one end to the other and goes critical quickly?
    Maybe it is exactly the opposite because of an unknown factor.

Just thinking out loud.
    It will certainly be a topic of many studies to come.

Right now it seems (based on China) that only the tiniest fraction of kids under 14 died. And while the initial reports were that compromised old folks were the main target, we know see it's more of an equal opportunity thing - more men than women (another mystery) but many relatively young and healthy adults are dying.

What kills is the "cytokine storm." This is when the immune system over-reacts in an attempt to kill the virus in the lungs (where the virus easily attaches). One possible hypothesis is that older people have been exposed to some past virus such that their immune system over-reacts. The young may not have been exposed.

Another might be that the young (who typically have better immune systems than the old) mount an early and gradual defense to the virus, such that they experience only mild symptoms as their immune system gradually deals with the virus. Could be that older folks' immune systems don't recognize the virus until late in the game (after it has massively replicated) and then respond late with a massive suicide mission?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    That really sucks.

I'd point out that the Executive branch could easily stop that. Likely should have, and should.
    What keeps the legislative branch from culpability? It seems like they have their fingers pointed soon enough. Usually right after their slight of hand to deflect attention from their own hypocrisy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally some good news:
    Medtronic, the world’s largest manufacturer of medical equipment, is currently receiving large amounts of attention for its ventilator. This week, the CEO of the company's Israel division, Yaron Yitzhari, made the decision to release all of Medtronic’s patents for the production of ventilators, in order to enable any company wishing to manufacture them to use Medtronic’s blueprints, for free.

“We haven’t made our information available to just anyone,” he reassures us. “Companies who use our know-how register with us, and we oversee the process and do quality control too. I’d like to add that any hospital or clinic that has old Medtronic ventilators in storage because they need to be serviced should bring them to one of Medtronic’s labs, and we’ll service the machines for free. In the last few weeks we fixed about twenty machines, and I hope people will bring more.”

Ventilator manufactor Medtronic gives away patents to its competitors - Technology & Health - Israel National News

24. Likes Trueturning, Oldwrench liked this post