O.T. - Coronavirus Mitigation Tips thread - Page 12
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Guy View Post
    . . . You've probably seen this graph of the number of administrators vs physicians.
    Attachment 283719

The latest scam is that they are increasing the number of midlevels massively. . .
    Related to that massive increase in administrators, is the number of of them required to handle insurance billing. As a young man, I'd walk into a doctor's office and one front desk and billing person would work for a couple doctors. Plus a nurse to do what they could.

Now almost every office has an army of both front desk and back office people. Before the ACA (and still to an extent now) about 20% of our health care spend went off to insurance companies.

Now what they do is basically the same as a credit card company (which charges around 2-3% for the same service): they collect money from customers, try to check for fraud, and pay it to suppliers. And, the insurance companies, instead of streamlining things, make doctors and patients to jump through more hoops than the Westminter Kennel Dog Show to get paid. Meanwhile some patients die. So not only do we pay far too much to the insurance companies, but they add huge overheads to doctors' offices as well.

Single payer, for the simple stuff (also hard to game and easier to check for fraud), could easily save 10% of that spend.

It's good to have you as a contributor here. Hope you'll let us know how we can help you find/buy the machines you want. Alaska, probably a challenge.

2. Likes CalG, Nice Guy liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post

India has been having its problems but I expected the virus to go roaring through the slums like a California wildfire. A fellow who flew supplies to China and Burma from a base in India said that any American soldier who fell in the Ganges could commander any American vehicle, in theory could take a General's car, to take him to the nearest Army hospital for inoculations against almost everything. The Indians dump their garbage and dead people in it. then swim and drink it. They must have a spectacular set of antibodies. Perhaps they confer at least partial immunity.

Bill
    Even if the Indians don't have any better immunity for the Covid-19 all the other diseases in there have culled the weak and old constantly.
    Plus they don't have the "diseases of rich people". 56 million obese people in India vs. 108 million in US.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Even if the Indians don't have any better immunity for the Covid-19 all the other diseases in there have culled the weak and old constantly.
    Plus they don't have the "diseases of rich people". 56 million obese people in India vs. 108 million in US.
    Came across an interesting bit of speculation cf Africa the other day ... since their average age is extremely low (16 or something ?) there is a decent chance that this virus won't bother them nearly as much as we think.

Nothing is simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This just in! Effective treatment! And it's from a DOCTOR! (identity undisclosed) ;-)

[quote]
    When first experiencing symptoms which might be prodromal symptoms of a cold, and I stress that this intervention must be used very early- make a 50/50 concoction of a dark 40 proof liquor like whiskey or rum and water. He said that clear alcohol like gin or vodka wouldn't work as well. I don't remember why. Heat the mixture, covered, in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Long enough to have an alcohol-y steam rise from the cup. Place your nose over the cup and inhale deeply, trying to draw the steam as far back into the nose and throat as possible. Note that if you do this right, it will be frankly uncomfortable. Repeat for several inhalations, re-heating the mixture as needed. Eventually the concentration of alcohol will decrease to the point that it's no longer uncomfortable. Drink the remaining mixture slowly.
    [end]

In other words, A Hot Toddy!

Repeat as required

Who would have thought it

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Guy View Post
    When I was 19 I worked in a place that processed aluminum scrap. They pulled the Mg out of the Al by bubbling chlorine gas through the Al. We used half face respirators when we raked the MgCl2 from the surface. I've breathed dilute Cl gas farther away from the furnace. It hurts.
    Chlorine was the first gas used in WWI, suggested by Fritz Haber. Among his other triumphs were the Haber Bosch process that produced the gunpowder that made WWI possible and later he added to his laurels by helping solve the Jewish problem by making Zyklon B.

His wife committed suicide with his gun. Puzzling since she had such a successful husband.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His wife committed suicide with his gun. Puzzling since she had such a successful husband.

Bill
    Shame she didn't go for a two-fer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default If you're in the New York area, my best wishes to you!

Take a look at this map:

Tracking Covid-19 cases in the US

Those around the NY disaster area should be wearing a mask if they're outside or with others, that's one hell of a hot-zone!

I'm just a few hundred miles north but so far it's much quieter here. That can change quickly, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chlorine was the first gas used in WWI, suggested by Fritz Haber. Among his other triumphs were the Haber Bosch process that produced the gunpowder that made WWI possible and later he added to his laurels by helping solve the Jewish problem by making Zyklon B.

Bill
    Fritz Haber developed processes used in the production of nitrogen compounds. Like the fertilizers that feed the world, and explosives. Since he and his family were all Jewish your Zyklon reference is most likely BS. Maybe do a little research rather than seeing what you want to see and then posting slanderous bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    But if you are twice dead , can you still vote? ;-)
    hasn't stopped them before, oh wait, that was brain dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adh2000 View Post
    Fritz Haber developed processes used in the production of nitrogen compounds. Like the fertilizers that feed the world, and explosives. Since he and his family were all Jewish your Zyklon reference is most likely BS. Maybe do a little research rather than seeing what you want to see and then posting slanderous bullshit.

While perhaps not directly involved in Zyklon B, he bears a heavy burden. From: Fritz Haber - Biography, Facts and Pictures

"He is also recognized for his supervision of the German poison gas program during The First World War, being known as the “father of chemical warfare”."

He certainly set a tone that allowed the gassing of Jews and others.

BTW, Z-B was originally intended as a fumigant: Zyklon B - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems it's a pretty complicated history. 9100 isn't far off. Neither are you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The natives are restless. Covid induced cabin fever! It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff these days. Take a break and do a crossword puzzle or read a book...anything but news of the world!

Ray Behner and I do a crossword puzzle every morning and you'll be hard pressed to find any two guys more together than us...wink wink! I can't really speak for Ray though...he has a plumbing background..and you know what they say about plumbers!

Stuart

I hope Ray knows I'm only kidding as he hasn't sanctioned this bullsnick!

14. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mitigation tip #233 . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails responsibility.jpg  

16. Likes dsergison liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey..that looks just like me..sans N95 mask!

Stuart

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Mitigation tip #233 . . .
    First pragmatic post you have made.

Thanks for shedding the airy-fairly speculation on how your team will re-run the world ever-so-much BETTER .....once your uncooperative time-machine is back online.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Hey..that looks just like me..sans N95 mask!

Stuart
    Sure hope not.

That WAS a Billary Clinton mask, Stuart. Dual-threat, as it were.

It's just what some "microbrew" beers DO as a side effect of the hormones that are meant to enhance the discharge plumbing.

20. Likes atomarc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was aware of the rest of the story and possibly should have included more explanation, but what I said was true, not what I wanted to see. Haber's work on nitrates and zyklon B may well have been as a general investigation, producing nitrates for whatever use they were needed and not specifically for gunpowder, but it made large scale production possible for gunpowder as well as fertilizer. Prior to that the main sources of nitrates were bat guano and fermenting manure, neither capable of supplying the large quantities needed for a world war.

Similarly, I doubt that anyone assigned Haber to make a product for killing Jews, but that was where a lot of it ended up. In the later 40s you could buy a similar one in hardware stores here, called Cyanogas, no permit or license required.

Nevertheless, Haber did organize the use of chlorine in warfare. I have worked with enough chlorine chemicals like hydrochloric acid to know that a whiff of it makes your lungs feel like a magnesium flare has been lit in them. Anyone who does that to someone deliberately cannot be a very nice guy.

Of course Americans dropped a lot of napalm on people.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone who does that to someone deliberately cannot be a very nice guy.
    Bill
    I can verify that, he's no relation.

23. Likes Booze Daily liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default corona virus exhaled by patients blocked with mask.

This study shows that corona virus is in exhaled breath without coughing and that it is blocked by wearing a surgical mask.
    mask-efficacy.jpg
    303 See Other

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not doctor but:
    I tell my family to only touch what you need to touch.
    Don't rummage through items but pick one and take that one.
    Don't let your clothes bump and touch things.
    Going to the bathroom use a towel to turn off things and touch door after you have washed your hands.
    Take care with mail, trash all the junk, open with one setting and then wash your hands.
    Wash your paper new money, coins and car keys.
    With not having proper wipes a dish cloth and dish wash soap is better than nothing.
    clean your car and house door handles and the like more often.
    clean the in your house more often.

*And the most often said, wash hands often and keep your hands off face ,eyes nose and the like.

This thread is supposed to be for tips...not for endless Politics and the like..Who cares who gets the last word in a dumb argument.