State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Doing our part to protect machines....

Attachment 284364
    Noooo.... just bragging about the size jockstrap you usta wear before you went "commando".

I won't ASK whose idea it was to add the "free rides" advert.

You'd have to know Dogpatch-by-the-sea?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3D model and animation of a single cough in a grocery aisle. Though this is from Finland, so I am not sure why there is not a version modeling a 200F sauna.

YouTube

Researchers modelling the spread of the coronavirus emphasise the importance of avoiding busy indoor spaces | Aalto University

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People have repeatedly mentioned zinc, iodine, and others supplements.

News flash: Several name brand vitamin plus mineral supplements contain both zinc and iodine, plus a host of other useful stuff.

FWIW, several of the treatments currently being debated work by increasing the accessibility of zinc.

4. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

6. Likes michiganbuck, Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    When the mandate to wear masks comes here, I'm telling them I donated all of mine to the front line health care workers.

Which I did.

Just following directions. ;-)
    A lot of people here in the same boat - avoided buying to save them for those who really needed them, donated unused ones when asked, and now are thought criminals after the CDC about-faced and the hoarders who did neither of the first two came out in public wearing part of their stash. A few days ago I was standing in line outside a market, sans mask, and a mask wearing woman up ahead kept shooting angry glances my way. I stood there calmly waiting to see if she would be foolish enough to say something, at which point I would have said "Those of us who did as we were asked didn't buy masks before and now there are none to be had thanks to miserable selfish hoarders who grabbed them all. When did you get YOUR mask and how many do YOU have stashed at home?".

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

News flash: Several name brand vitamin plus mineral supplements contain both zinc and iodine, plus a host of other useful stuff.

Fillet of a fenny snake,
    In the cauldron boil and bake;
    Eye of newt and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg and owlet's wing,
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn and cauldron bubble !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW, several of the treatments currently being debated work by increasing the accessibility of zinc.
    I got some top quality gummies for my grand children and some certain vitamins for my son and his wife.
    A very good diet can make person tougher to most/many/some diseases. Michigan and Ohio are Iodine deficient in the soil. Many palaces about the world are the same.

I am not a doctor so better not offer any opinions

MattiJ let me know if bud is good or better than Corrs and Busch.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Latest info from Germany says that coronavirus doesn't survive for long outside of human body:
    https://www.thelocal.de/20200402/how...worst-hit-spot

ZDF news referral from local newspaper Saksan koronapesakkeesta kerataan tarkkaa tietoa – "Ei nayta tarttuvan ovenkahvoista, seteleista tai kauppojen ostoskarryista" | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi , translated to english:
    "Researchers have initially figured out how the virus spreads. They have collected samples from all sorts of surfaces that people tend to touch, such as door handles, cell phones, TV remotes, sinks, and store shopping carts.

Signs of coronavirus were found almost everywhere.

However, the researchers were not able to cultivate new virus strains from the samples. This means the researchers only found viral RNA or "dead" viruses, Streeck says.

It therefore appears that if the virus had spread from, for example, a door handle, the carrier of the virus would have had to spit in his hand and then grasp the handle. Once the other person has got the virus in his or her own hand, he or she must immediately touch his or her face, Streeck says.

- We have been in a household with several infected people and we have not found any live virus on any surface, he says."

11. Likes digger doug, michiganbuck, Scottl, CalG, PeteM and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been saying since day one that for most of us the fears are overblown. If you are a doctor working around an infectious patient or someone living in the same home heightened concern and extra precautions are justified. For the rest of us normal precautions and good hygiene practices should give a high level of safety. During cold and flu season I'm ALWAYS cautious of anyone showing symptoms.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been saying since day one that for most of us the fears are overblown. If you are a doctor working around an infectious patient or someone living in the same home heightened concern and extra precautions are justified. For the rest of us normal precautions and good hygiene practices should give a high level of safety.
    Why don't you find something to do around the house. Nobody wants a minute-by-minute repeat of the daily mainstream media news.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good advice for all stuck at home might be to devise a non-strenuous exercise to get in better shape. Janie and I are going on a five-mile hike down the bike path each day. Plus, I am using Dynamic Tension to toughen up my arms, pects, latts, delts and abs. They are showing good results..

Good because you just pit one muscle group against another or push palms down on something like the top of your computer
    desk.. push down and count to 12 rest and then push 12 again ..great for arms and abs get a six pack in a week or two, *Start out easy because you don't want to get hurt, or have a heart attack..bend down and touch you toes but only if you are not apt to fall over,stretch arms high and bed side to side..start out with a short program and very few reps..Ask your doctor if need be or and conditions pending.

The Charles Atlas Workout Revisited!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been saying since day one that for most of us the fears are overblown. . . ..
    We've heard you, Scott.

It's no big deal, let's meet in groups of a hundred, we'll likely have a revolution if we do what every other nation has been doing (mostly better) and try to slow this down by testing and social distancing, and you're planning to tell us "I told you so" when it's over.

Somewhat like others thinking DJT has handled everything wonderfully, could it also be this?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...en-facts-fail/

16. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been saying since day one that for most of us the fears are overblown. If you are a doctor working around an infectious patient or someone living in the same home heightened concern and extra precautions are justified. For the rest of us normal precautions and good hygiene practices should give a high level of safety. During cold and flu season I'm ALWAYS cautious of anyone showing symptoms.
    Still there are 25K to 30K new cases in the US every day. How are that many people contracting the virus? Is anyone interviewing these people to find out what they've been doing? People here are taking social distancing very seriously, is that not the case in New York? Are these actually old cases that are just now being found with additional testing? I read the Worldometer numbers by country and have to wonder WTF? How can we become more like Mexico or Brazil where they have very low numbers?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Good advice for all stuck at home might be to devise a non-strenuous exercise to get in better shape. Janie and I are going on a five-mile hike down the bike path each day. Plus, I am using Dynamic Tension to toughen up my arms, pects, latts, delts and abs. They are showing good results..

Good because you just pit one muscle group against another or push palms down on something like the top of your computer
    desk.. push down and count to 12 rest and then push 12 again ..great for arms and abs get a six pack in a week or two, *Start out easy because you don't want to get hurt, or have a heart attack..bend down and touch you toes but only if you are not apt to fall over,stretch arms high and bed side to side..start out with a short program and very few reps..Ask your doctor if need be or and conditions pending.

Today marks 3 weeks of isolation without sugar.

Walking 3 miles a day on the treadmill, no meat, dairy or flour. The change has been fantastic! I feel great!

Zero alcohol! A healthy vegan diet, gluten free, caffeine free, sugar free and a 2 hour home workout each day! Lost 14lbs of fat and gained muscle mass.

I have no idea whose doing this, but I am really proud of them so I decided to copy-paste!...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adh2000 View Post
    Still there are 25K to 30K new cases in the US every day. How are that many people contracting the virus? Is anyone interviewing these people to find out what they've been doing? People here are taking social distancing very seriously, is that not the case in New York? Are these actually old cases that are just now being found with additional testing? I read the Worldometer numbers by country and have to wonder WTF? How can we become more like Mexico or Brazil where they have very low numbers?
    We could halt reporting on inconsequential cases. Sort of like the seasonal viral flu.
    At present, the numbers support the position. 70,000 Americans died of "the flu" ( I&P) only two seasons back.
    That's on par with the latest " revised predictions) from Fauci.
    Maybe a decimal got transposed somewhere.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adh2000 View Post
    We in the US have a patchwork of different restrictions that are ignored by a subset of the population. As I posted earlier when China first imposed social distancing etc, similar to what the most restrictive states are doing, they only attenuated the exponential rise. So we should expect a similar behavior here. We aren't doing the central quarantine that they did to get it under control.

We had a mini outbreak in my town, Ketchikan, that seems to have died out for the time being. To move around the state one has to make an application now to show it is essential. I think our geographic isolation may be helping. We will have an influx of seasonal workers when the salmon start to run so that may change everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Latest info from Germany says that coronavirus doesn't survive for long outside of human body:
    https://www.thelocal.de/20200402/how...worst-hit-spot

ZDF news referral from local newspaper Saksan koronapesakkeesta kerataan tarkkaa tietoa – "Ei nayta tarttuvan ovenkahvoista, seteleista tai kauppojen ostoskarryista" | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi , translated to english:
    "Researchers have initially figured out how the virus spreads. They have collected samples from all sorts of surfaces that people tend to touch, such as door handles, cell phones, TV remotes, sinks, and store shopping carts.

Signs of coronavirus were found almost everywhere.

However, the researchers were not able to cultivate new virus strains from the samples. This means the researchers only found viral RNA or "dead" viruses, Streeck says.

It therefore appears that if the virus had spread from, for example, a door handle, the carrier of the virus would have had to spit in his hand and then grasp the handle. Once the other person has got the virus in his or her own hand, he or she must immediately touch his or her face, Streeck says.

- We have been in a household with several infected people and we have not found any live virus on any surface, he says."
    Just to underscore your links. Early on researchers were telling us the major mode of transmission was touching surfaces contaminated with virus-laden droplets, then transferring those to the mouth, nose, eyes. This was apparently based on previous research with SARS.

Your links (and others posted weeks ago) now suggest the major mode of transmission is airborne aerosols, which may hang in the air for minutes (not just 6' and drop). Thus, why we should be wearing face masks when out and about.

Given that this may not be the last word, my take is that we might as well follow both precautions for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post

YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    We could halt reporting on inconsequential cases. Sort of like the seasonal viral flu.
    At present, the numbers support the position. 70,000 Americans died of "the flu" ( I&P) only two seasons back.
    That's on par with the latest " revised predictions) from Fauci.
    Maybe a decimal got transposed somewhere.....
    COVID19 is now the leading cause of death in the US, recently passing cardiovascular disease. The last time that was true was the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. We are still at the beginning of this.

25. Likes PeteM, Bobw, Milland liked this post