O.T. - Coronavirus Mitigation Tips thread - Page 15
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We're running low on our favorite wine in a box. A cheap burgundy swill. Since PA's liquor stores have been closed we will defy orders tomorrow and travel to NJ and stock up. Kind of exciting. I have planned our route out and return so as not to draw attention. We're thinking back roads are safer. I figure that with the wife and two dogs in the car no "Trooper" will suspect we are ban flaunting, tax evading, moonshiners.

So with N95 masks, nitrile gloves, and PB&J sandwiches and Pepsi Cola packed we will set off on our adventure tomorrow late AM.

I'm so stoked.

Forbidden fruit is always the sweetest.

Most fun I've had in awhile............Bob

2. Likes atomarc, TeachMePlease, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do not add fake mustaches to your kit, they tend to raise suspicion in passers-by.

Especially on the wife and dogs...

4. Likes bhigdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been wondering why no one seemed to be investigating cytokine production. Now I find that they are. It wouldn't cure the basic illness but it might keep it from killing you until you recover.

Doctors Say A 'Cytokine Storm' Might Be Why Some COVID-19 Patients Crash : Shots - Health News : NPR

Bill

6. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I have been wondering why no one seemed to be investigating cytokine production. Now I find that they are. It wouldn't cure the basic illness but it might keep it from killing you until you recover.

Doctors Say A 'Cytokine Storm' Might Be Why Some COVID-19 Patients Crash : Shots - Health News : NPR

Bill
    This is somewhat akin to a human reaction to poison ivy.
    Poison Ivy Immunology

Something dogs (and deer) don't have trouble with. maybe there is an angle there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While a little abstract, one could call this a "mitigation" act by China:

Chinese government reveals draft list of animals which can be farmed for meat - CNN

Will be interested to see how well it holds. Bound to be some resistance.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Use an ion generator to negatively charge the virus particles out of the air

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodstove View Post
    That's something I've discussed with an engineer friend. Depending on other issues (like ozone generation) it could be one of the best ways to remove airborne virus particles and destroy them at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    That's something I've discussed with an engineer friend. Depending on other issues (like ozone generation) it could be one of the best ways to remove airborne virus particles and destroy them at the same time.
    The best masks use a layer charged in a similar manner to Saran Wrap to trap the virus particles, which are too small to be caught by most filters.

Bill

12. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While a little abstract, one could call this a "mitigation" act by China:

Chinese government reveals draft list of animals which can be farmed for meat - CNN

Will be interested to see how well it holds. Bound to be some resistance.
    They have a problem with cognitive dissonance. Eating weird stuff seems to be a thing with older people and country people. Younger people seem to be happy with chicken, pork, duck, goose, fish, frogs, even beef. Wild stuff would probably die out on its own except ...

I think the big user of the really disgusting stuff is "traditional medicine." That's ensconced in the culture, people actually believe that sympathetic magic crap, it's even popular in the US.

So, they are between a rock and a hard place. They really do want to cut back on extracting bears' gall bladders, but at the same time this is an ingredient in something they revere.

Cultural Revolution didn't go quite far enough in some areas

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Poison Ivy Immunology

Something dogs (and deer) don't have trouble with. maybe there is an angle there.
    I know of two diseases that are "cured" by just support treatment. Hydrophobia, AKA rabies, and cholera can be cured that way. The victim will recover if the disease doesn't kill him first. In the case of hydrophobia it was effectively 100% fatal until a doctor treated a boy with it simply by intravenous feeding, etc and managed to keep him alive until his immune system got going.

The standard treatment for cholera is to put the patient on a cot with a hole for fluids being lost, which are caught in a graduated bucket. Cholera kills by super dehydration, so they measure the fluid loss and pour water with a mixture of electrolytes back in. For every liter out, one goes in. The treatment can be done by workers with minimum training sent in the field with some measuring cups and a bag of dry minerals.

I get the impression that Covid 19 will subside if it doesn't kill the host first, so it may be similarly treatable.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's an article giving a (simplified) explanation for how our bodies generate immunity to Covid-19 after exposure. Not sure this would pass muster for people that have training in medical fields, but might be of interest to the rest of us.

Here's how your body gains immunity to coronavirus | Zania Stamataki | Opinion | The Guardian

16. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodstove View Post
    We've got these.

About Our Microbial Reduction System | Synexis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Poison Ivy Immunology

I understand that goats will preferentially eat poison oak with no ill effects The babies drink it in their mother's milk. Just do let let humans drink that milk. I suppose the meat might be bad to eat as well.
    Bil lD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The virus is suppose to live over 72 hours on hard surfaces like metal. So.. I bought some keystock yesterday that I need to work on today. I do not have time to let it sit for 3 days before touching it. Does heavy sulpher cutting oil, wd40, paint thinner etc kill the virus? Water base coolant I doubt to have much effect.
    Bil lD

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The virus is suppose to live over 72 hours on hard surfaces like metal. So.. I bought some keystock yesterday that I need to work on today. I do not have time to let it sit for 3 days before touching it. Does heavy sulpher cutting oil, wd40, paint thinner etc kill the virus? Water base coolant I doubt to have much effect.
    Bil lD
    Supposedly anything that will dissolve fat will remove the protective layer and inactivate the virus. Soap and water or any of the various solvents like lacquer thinner should do it. This is only hearsay, I am not an expert on the subject.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand that goats will preferentially eat poison oak with no ill effects The babies drink it in their mother's milk. Just do let let humans drink that milk. I suppose the meat might be bad to eat as well.
    Bil lD.
    There are businesses that actually rent out goats to eliminate poison ivy. They never sell milk or meat for human consumption and also the animals are not allowed to be petted. They put up a temporary fence and turn them loose and unlike chemicals they totally eradicate it on a property.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Supposedly anything that will dissolve fat will remove the protective layer and inactivate the virus. Soap and water or any of the various solvents like lacquer thinner should do it. This is only hearsay, I am not an expert on the subject.

Bill
    A solution of Dawn dish detergent and hot water should do fine. Anything with a surfactant will disrupt the virus and render it harmless but detergents meant to cut grease work best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's an article giving a (simplified) explanation for how our bodies generate immunity to Covid-19 after exposure. Not sure this would pass muster for people that have training in medical fields, but might be of interest to the rest of us.

Here's how your body gains immunity to coronavirus | Zania Stamataki | Opinion | The Guardian
    And some immunologists have suggested that letting the virus run its course among healthy people while shielding the most vulnerable will create herd immunity and shorten the duration of the outbreak. Since usually only the most vulnerable experience severe breathing difficulties this should not overwhelm hospitals as most would recover at home. As it now stands exaggerated fear has caused many who could easily recover at home to seek hospitalization, stressing the system.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand that goats will preferentially eat poison oak with no ill effects
    I read the same thing, somewhere around fourth or fifth grade. I can tell you from personal experience, it doesn't work out that good.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know of two diseases that are "cured" by just support treatment. Hydrophobia, AKA rabies, and cholera can be cured that way. The victim will recover if the disease doesn't kill him first. In the case of hydrophobia it was effectively 100% fatal until a doctor treated a boy with it simply by intravenous feeding, etc and managed to keep him alive until his immune system got going.

Bill
    I think you got Rabies mixed up with something else. AFAIK rabies is still today 99.999% lethal unless you are vaccinated.
    There is single ONE ! survivor worldwide and they kept her in medically induced coma. Same treatment haven't been successful after that so it appears it was exceptional luck also.

303 See Other