UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Landward, seaward, windward, leeward.
    lol. Port and starboard, fore and aft. Righty tighty lefty loosey. Ya don't gotta outrun the bar, ya just gotta outrun yer buddy.

That's all the wisdom I got.

2. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Even if the rumblings of this bug being genetically engineered as a weapon (and I don't believe it was) aren't true, it sure as hell would make an interesting starting point. Incredibly virulent, all they need to do is make it more consistently deadly or debilitating.
    I think this was nearly perfect for causing total worldwide chaos. Just look at evening news.
    More deadly and it would have stopped on beginning and more resources would have been thrown against it.

OK, not enough deadly if you attempted to remove 95% of human population from earth. Ebola+HIV+chickenpox+flu -mix for that

4. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Landward, seaward, windward, leeward.
    I think unchecked the virus would go round the world a few times, kill a whole lot of people, then the survivors would be somewhat immune and then it would not be so bad..
    But I don't wish to be one of the lost.

I don't think it was let lose on purpose but China could have been experiment with it as a weapon and it slipped out of a lab..

Oh man? Where did I put that virus? Ops.

I an surprised monkey land India has not started a bad diseases.
    I wonder if those monkeys are getting the corona virus? found it....
    Monkey deaths in India spark 'enormous panic' amid coronavirus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    I think this was nearly perfect for causing total worldwide chaos. Just look at evening news.
    More deadly and it would have stopped on beginning and more resources would have been thrown against it.

OK, not enough deadly if you attempted to remove 95% of human population from earth. Ebola+HIV+chickenpox+flu -mix for that
    I want to engineer a virus that makes people afraid of the ocean, because I'd like to get a quiet day at the beach, even on weekends.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The sad bit is, you can be sure some governments will be working on that, along with those working on cures. Maybe (certainly) at the same time.
    In the past, since WW I the Japs were the only ones arrogant and stupid enough to do this. Even the nazis refrained from germ warfare. Gas warfare backfired a few times, teaching some elementary lessons.

Incidentally, their plague bombs turned around and killed several thousand troops in the Jap army.

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    In the future medical-tyranny run state the police will stop you and ask for your papers or scan a chip underneath the skin.
    Did not happen in 1918. Are you saying citizens are helpless idiots now ?

If so, get what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Guy View Post
    Interesting article on the effect of social distancing during the Spanish flu pandemic:
    This is why I was amazed and appalled at the government and public performance. This isn't a new thing, we've had epidemics before. Don't even have to look to China South Korea Singapore, just read your own history books.

It's amazing to me how people let totally non-political events become swamped under stupid ideological arguments. Mom Nature at work, people get what they deserve.

I'd like to get a quiet day at the beach, even on weekends.
    Easier done than said

dawdling.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to engineer a virus that makes people afraid of the ocean, because I'd like to get a quiet day at the beach, even on weekends.
    To be happy you would have to be quiet yourself. Not likely ain’t it?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by milland View Post
    i'll make a more detailed reply to your execrable post later, but this requires an immediate:

Fuck you, you lying sack of shit!

No, not enough, let's try:

fuck you, you lying sack of shit!!!

any review of my posts would show i've never done that. You are lying in most disgusting manner possible, and by god you are vile to even try to insinuate that.

You worthless, stupid, waste of meat. If you were to eat shit you'd be increasing your value.
    Just passing the compliment given to me yesterday.

WOW...........

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

REVEALED: U.S. government gave $3.7million grant to Wuhan lab at center of coronavirus leak scrutiny that was performing experiments on bats from the caves where the disease is believed to have originated.

U.S. government gave $3.7million grant to Wuhan lab that experimented on coronavirus source bats | Daily Mail Online

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

REVEALED:
    REVEALED ! Every year the CDC spends millions of dollars on killer flus, vaccines only available to third world order masters of the universe ! Secret research with deadly potential uncovered ! Scientists everywhere on Lex Luthor's payroll ! Boy born with two basset hound heads in Urbana ! Extra extra ! Read all about it !

12. Likes iwananew10K liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From news article in #408.

On Saturday, Anthony Bellotti, president of the US pressure group White Coat Waste, condemned his government for spending tax dollars in China, adding: 'Animals infected with viruses or otherwise sickened and abused in Chinese labs reportedly may be sold to wet markets for consumption once experiments are done.'

yum yum yum yum yum yum yum .............. enjoy......
    just saw a video clip of a girl in a restaurant holding a bat with a pair of chop sticks and munching on the wings.

From news article in #408.

The Wuhan Institute, which keeps more than 1,500 strains of deadly viruses, specializes in the research of 'the most dangerous pathogens', in particular the viruses carried by bats.

It's so nice to have such a variety when you order lunch at the counter...

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

......... just saw a video clip of a girl holding a bat with a pair of chop sticks and munching on the wings.
    Palau.

I s'pose there's no point in saying this but all this CRAP about "China restaurants serving bats" is horseshit. I've literally eaten in thousands of restaurants. No bats.

yum yum yum .....
    For sure ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

May I take your order? The management told her it is important to great hungry customers with a smile.

27079664-8210951-image-31_1586631429222.jpg

Shi Zhengli is known as China's 'Bat Woman' after years spent on difficult virus-hunting expeditions in dank caves that have led to a series of important scientific discoveries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to give a quick "thank you!" to those that have pm'd me to offer a "stay strong and carry on" message. It's frustrating not replying directly to the trolls and the mentally challenged, but it's the better thing to do, and I will "carry on" vs the carrion.

As will this thread, mods willing. It has value still, and there's a long way to go before the final advice is given on dealing with CV-19 or a reliable vaccine is available. So look past the kooks, kobolds, and knaves, and there will indeed be a useful gem among the pooh.

Just be sure to wash it before putting it in your kit bag.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

interesting USA charts look better but still 1920 new deaths so nit out of the woods yet.
    COVID-19 Charts

Another lost in the wilderness travel method, travel down hill to a creek and then follow the creek.
    Watch the direction of the clouds to maintain a straight line. (It is very common to walk in circles)
    With having a compass best to look far to a land mark, so you are not constantly looking at compass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a question that is directly related to the purpose of this thread.

Is wearing of a mask with the nostrils exposed based on some new medical advice?

I've seen this not only locally with store personnel but even on the local news this morning. Maybe I missed some new information but I always thought that defeated the purpose of a mask.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    I have a question that is directly related to the purpose of this thread.

Is wearing of a mask with the nostrils exposed based on some new medical advice?

I've seen this not only locally with store personnel but even on the local news this morning. Maybe I missed some new information but I always thought that defeated the purpose of a mask.
    JPD (just plane dumb IMHO) I think some people pretend to comply but then do what is comfortable.
    Perhaps a few have a breathing problem but I think most don't.
    Yes I see that often.

20. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I went from mask skeptic to user when I figured that out.

The other shock was, can't find the reference now, but someone's testing found that this virus shed 10,000 times as much as the average influenza virus.

I'm sure someone will call me on that so if I see it again, will post for sure. But it did explain why this is so contagious.
    That number is so wildly high that I would suspect the source. The initial claim I heard was that it was 10 times, not 10,000. This kind of wild misinformation is what is stoking hysterical fears and as an agent of China I suspect that is your intent. Incite fear in "the enemy" so they will destroy their economy and social structure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone noticed the admin is posturing that it will "reopen economy" when it never in fact acted to close it?

23. Likes iwananew10K, Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Masks should be fitted as close to the face as possible, which in most cases includes men (and hirsute ladies) shaving facial hair to allow edge seals from mask to the face around the nose and mouth. Do not wear a mask such that the nostrils or mouth are exposed.

Do not wear any mask that has rips, folds at the edges that prevent sealing to the face, or has other damage or condition that prevents its proper use. If you have no option it's better to use tape to try to patch holes.

If a disposable mask has the metal conformal band around the nose that's supposed to help seal the area, take the time to shape the band correctly. It'll both function better and be more comfortable to wear.

Industrial half-masks use purge valves to allow easier exhalation, and while such a mask with good N95 or better filter cartridges is better than nothing, it does not provide protection to those around you if you are caring for an older or vulnerable person.

The purge can be blocked so that all air exits and enters through the filter, but if blocked you may need to slightly tighten the fit of the mask to your face to prevent "overpressure" from pushing the mask away during exhalation and allowing free escape of breath.

That said, having the fitment as light as what still allows proper sealing is best for comfort, so adjust straps as best you can to balance these needs.

Industrial (non disposable) masks will build up gunk on the inside and sealing perimeter, not a bad idea after each use to take a damp paper towel and wipe the inside surfaces and edges for hygiene. Avoid getting liquids into the filter ports from either side, but natural drying is fine if you're out in the rain or similar.

Some studies have shown exposing the virus to temperatures over 165F for a reasonable time (at least 15 minutes?) can deactivate the virus. Do your own searching for confirmation, but if you try this ensure that you don't go hotter (don't expose mask elements to direct radiant heat from oven elements, for instance).

Replacement cartridges for industrial masks are usually available, but likely still in tight supply now. Be careful with what you have to allow prolonged use until the supply chains can catch up.

And give a "thanks" to 3M employees, they're doing what they can to make more quality USA PPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

posturing is the main feature TR...dats what dey do.

on topic found a box of n95s here...passing it to the local squad.

26. Likes Milland liked this post