O.T. - Coronavirus Mitigation Tips thread - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a few more gems directly from her book End of Days.

"Also in 2010, diabetes will be significantly reduced and ultimately cured through brilliant advancements in the use of proteins."

"Microchips implanted in the base of the brain will restore healthy signals between the brain, the muscular system, and the neurological system, putting an end to paralysis and Parkinson’s disease no later than 2012."

"In 2015 there will be virtually no invasive surgery. Instead, laser surgery, which of course is already being used with great success, will be brilliantly enhanced by a computerized sensor that will be able to pinpoint, analyze, and take appropriate medical action on the area in question."

I wouldn't worry too much about her so-called "coronavirus prediction".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Humans are unnecessary and a danger to many life forms.
    Signed: The tree in your back yard.

3. Likes Bobw, atomarc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Humans are unnecessary and a danger to many life forms.
    Signed: The tree in your back yard.
    I don't believe it. I think the squirrels wrote it, Friggin tree rats.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was wondering if the standard shop go joe we use may be a better way to wash hands because of the pumice in it the friction scrubs well. Once I got Dykem blue on my fingers and used go joe which scruBbed off all the dykem blue on my hand. That was surprising to me at least yet a old timer told me about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    I was wondering if the standard shop go joe we use may be a better way to wash hands because of the pumice in it the friction scrubs well. Once I got Dykem blue on my fingers and used go joe which scruBbed off all the dykem blue on my hand. That was surprising to me at least yet a old timer told me about that.

Probably not, IMO. The use of soap and hot water strips a thin protective fatty layer from the virus. That's what kills it.

Adding pumice probably won't dissolve that fat any faster. What it could do, used 20 times a day, is abrade and dry the skin. We might want that once a day to take away a layer of skin with Dykem in it. Not so much multiple times a day. Again, IMO. The pumice itself, unlike soap and water, won't likely have any anti-viral activity.

7. Likes Bobw, Milland, Steven-Canada liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Such a nice post on Onlineassignmentwriter.Com. A Humanities understudy must be experience a ton of prepping. We know this because we have been there and we had no choice, but do it on our own. However, we a leading humanities assignment help in usa are here for you. Why not take the advantage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iaustinrex View Post
    Such a nice post on Onlineassignmentwriter.Com. A Humanities understudy must be experience a ton of prepping. We know this because we have been there and we had no choice, but do it on our own. However, we a leading humanities assignment help in usa are here for you. Why not take the advantage?

Spam, spam, spam. No sense adding to their traffic ^^ Can a moderator dump this new "member?"

10. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Probably not, IMO. The use of soap and hot water strips a thin protective fatty layer from the virus. That's what kills it.

Adding pumice probably won't dissolve that fat any faster. What it could do, used 20 times a day, is abrade and dry the skin. We might want that once a day to take away a layer of skin with Dykem in it. Not so much multiple times a day. Again, IMO. The pumice itself, unlike soap and water, won't likely have any anti-viral activity.
    Another way to look at it is abrasion helps kill cockroaches by cutting the oily exoskeleton (think boric acid). Not sure if you can abrade something like an extra small virus encased in fat. The pumice could not hurt in getting a separation between the skin and viral particles, who cares if they are immediately dead or if they are separated from the skin and washed down the drain. If your pumice cleaner has anti drying agents your hands may crack less also.

12. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good point Pete on abasing the hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    I don't believe it. I think the squirrels wrote it, Friggin tree rats.

Yup, it is not the bats it is the squirrels.
    A rather red faced one out back banging a a tree branch and chattering like mad.
    Dog tells me the translation is "We will bury you" or something like that.
    Weapons on high alert.

Be smart and safe, avoid contact when possible.
    Wash hands and that good stuff. Remember that you maybe carrying it and not know so you do not want to pass it.
    Bob

15. Likes Trueturning, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Adding a nail brush into the hand washing routine pretty much assures enough time and attention will be paid to all the details of WHY hand washing is effective.
    Using pumice cleaners is like trying to crush ants with 20 foot diameter boulders.

Particle masks are useful for limiting the spread of infectious material FROM an ill patient to those nearby. Even a properly fitted N95 mask is only 95% effective at filtration. And then, the virus that is caught is right there next to your mouth working it's way through every time you breath in. Really bad when you remove the mask and dislodge the beasties!

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Guy View Post
    If you want to know what central quarantine is you could open the link provided.
    If you want to see what measures of economic activity they are using it's in the link provided.
    No way will I ever open anything on google drive. Sorry.

And the Financial Times, right.

Sorry but I have been to enough events / things / places that were reported upon to know that the press sucks. Once every hundred years they get something right, by accident.

There is no way I would ever trust the fucking financial press after their lying sack of shit reporting on the entire Goldman-Sachs ponzi scheme and world ripoff. Either they are intentionally ignorant or they are as stupid as a box of rocks, you choose.

If you believe China is being transparent that's great. Remind me how did this start?
    What I believe is my eyes and ears. Our own lives, our own office and the people we deal with. It's more valid than what some API twat writing to please his audience publishes.

Here's the deal, see ? I do not and can not know everything, but the view from the middle of the hurricane is a lot better than what some indoctrinated dipshit living in Mom's basement ten thousand miles away writes. Your citations are garbage. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    . . . Here's the deal, see ? I do not and can not know everything, but the view from the middle of the hurricane is a lot better than what some indoctrinated dipshit living in Mom's basement ten thousand miles away writes. Your citations are garbage. Sorry.
    Wait, wait. Isn't the middle of the hurricane , the eye, the place where everything seems wonderful until all hell breaks loose?

Here's some Google bashing for you. Sort of thing that gets published in the US. Harder in China if it were Xi bashing. You'll like it, right up to the point the review starts talking about China's own surveillance state:

Surveillance Capitalism: Bigger Brother | by Tim Wu | The New York Review of Books

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wait, wait. Isn't the middle of the hurricane , the eye, the place where everything seems wonderful until all hell breaks loose?
    To get there, you had to survive through one side, and you know pretty soon you will be seeing the other side. It's kind of a rest break

Here's some Google bashing for you. Sort of thing that gets published in the US. Harder in China if it were Xi bashing. You'll like it, right up to the point the review starts talking about China's own surveillance state:
    Decent review, not that this book will make any more difference than Eisenhower's military-industrial warning or the common sense warnings of people who shorted wall street in 2005. It's quite easy to predict that the Google Family will make the first world think 1984 was a bedtime story, but doing something about it ? ah. Good luck with that.

China, well .... you keep making conclusions based on incomplete information (and an unwillingness to try to understand.) China is not the west. It does not work the same. They have had the gaokao forever ? hukous for seventy ? examination system for centuries ? small foot police since the Tang dynasty ? ... it's always been something of a surveillance and control society. The biggest thing to know about China is, the peg that sticks up gets hammered down. Been that way for 2,500 years. Piss off Qin shi huang and you get to work on the Wall (if you were lucky).

Which does not mean that people do not find ways to be different, to do their own thing, to escape the social imperative of being just like everyone else and following the herd. In fact, many (most ?) people are less herd-oriented than US people in many ways. They pretend to do what they are told, but the reality is different. In general, the government does not order people around here, their grandma and the old aunties do. It's a matriarchy, which is totally different than the west. Any attempt to analyze China that does not recognize that is doomed to failure.

What you refuse to accept is that in China, nothing is on the surface. Reality is at least three steps below, hidden. What's obvious is a scrim, a curtain of harmonious cooperation. If you only see the curtain you will never undertsand the country. (If it's even understandable at all, the place is wacked. But you're not even going to get started if all you do is apply US observations that in fact don't even run true in the US.)

One thing tho - the preoccupation with the uighurs is funny. There are uighurs all over China. There's some down the street with an okay xinjiang restaurant. When they aren't picking pockets uighurs run restaurants Haerbin is full of them, maybe half the places have blue and white huangzi rather than the normal red ones. Most uighurs do not feel discriminated against, they are proud to say "I am uighur" ... the ones that have problems are the isis ones, that blow up buildings and kill people. "Human rights" people like Billary were lecturing the world on this subject every day for years .... until the World Trade Center, after which you invaded and blew up Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, and any other place that might have had a few uighurs. To this day the US runs drone attacks on uighur wedding parties. Guantanamo, habeas corpus, torture, etc. Pot -> kettle, ya know ?

I am not a huge fan of such controls, but in this place, it works. People here do not give a crap about the things you believe to be so important. They have different priorities. It's truly a different society.

20. Likes Trueturning, memphisjed, Asquith, gbent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

. . . Pot -> kettle, ya know ?

I am not a huge fan of such controls, but in this place, it works. People here do not give a crap about the things you believe to be so important. They have different priorities. It's a different society.
    I get the pot<>kettle argument.

Flip side is that the average US citizen lives mostly in harmony with their neighbors, enjoys their life and freedoms, loves their kids, wants them to thrive, and fits well on the normal distribution curves of motivated, smart, empathic . . . or not.

The notion that China is a monolithic facade, suppressing dissent, that we should ignore -- while the real people of China get on marvelously one or two levels below could surely be applied here. Only we're a partisan facade - amped up for political gain in recent decades - while our own citizens get on even more marvelously (judging by such things as GDP per capita, longevity, and literacy) in their own neighborhoods, towns, and states.

On edit: equality of opportunity is an issue for many, especially as the middle class has been squeezed in the US.

Gordon would be proud to know that Denmark's "Ginni coefficient" is around 24 - happy and prosperous country that it is. Canada is around 32. Our own is 47, representative of both people adding value and earning wealth and an increasing number just skimming it off the top. One would think an avowedly Communist nation would out-Denmark Denmark. Turns out, at 46.5, it's essentially the same as the US. Pot<>kettle and all.

We, at least, get to complain about it. Instead of suppressed, though, we're divided by things like hidden money in politics. That turns out to be particularly troublesome in addressing something like SARS CoVid-2, if a third of the nation thinks it's a hoax, a third is in panic, and the proactive third doesn't have enough public healthcare infrastructure to do their jobs. I don't imagine, though, that we'd be better off appointing anyone a President for Life. This, too, is a different society. Still with enormous capacity to heal ourselves.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The notion that China is a monolithic facade, suppressing and sometimes savaging dissent, that we should ignore -- while the real people of China get on marvelously one or two levels below could surely be applied here. Only we're a partisan facade - amped up for political gain in recent decades - while our own citizens get on even more marvelously (judging by such things as GDP per capita, longevity, and literacy) in their own neighborhoods, towns, and states.
    There is where your comparison breaks down. China does okay. At 2500 years old there's going to be high spots and low ones. Right now looks like an upward trend (materialistically, I am not that overjoyed about some other effects).

But the US .... sorry, PeteM. I do not see what you see. Maybe because I am a shop rat. What made the US kind of special was that there was some truth to the Jack Armstrong myth. You could go out no matter your background and do well. Could.

And I do not mean live in a mansion with three million dollars in the bank, I mean a decent life. That's all, just decent.

Not so much anymore. The whole class of people who did not want to sit in an ivory tower making learned pronouncements, or maybe in an office on wall street figuring out how to steal more money, what I think of as the middle class, the better-off working class, those people have been screwed for the past forty years. Seriously screwed.

Lots of people are nice, for sure, but the foundation has dry rot. Worse, the real problems are not being addressed. Doesn't look good to me. Neither tribe of pseudo-warring politicians is addressing reality. Theater.

Pete - check this out

30 Sample Gaokao Questions

I'm lucky I grew up in the US, in China I'd have ended up at street-sweeper school

23. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WHOA!

This thread derailed quickly.

25. Likes Milland, Bill in PA liked this post
    Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    WHOA!

This thread derailed quickly.
    How many tips can there be ? Stay home, wash your hands, don't touch stuff, don't touch your face ... bend over and kiss your ass good-bye

Is there really anything else ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, another tip - when they put you on a ventilator - roll on to your tummy to up your chances of living.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many tips can there be ? Stay home, wash your hands, don't touch stuff, don't touch your face ... bend over and kiss your ass good-bye

Is there really anything else ?
    Yeah...quit hoarding TP! If you're dead you certainly don't need to wipe your ass, the mortician will take care of that for you.

Stuart