O.T. - Coronavirus Mitigation Tips thread - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ptsmith View Post
    I've read onlny the last page of this thread, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Covid-19 is certainly a serious situation, but isn't what's happening right now what happens almost every year? . . .
    No, it's not the same. You could read up on it.

Once we have some immunity, maybe a vaccine that sort of tracks it, then it's another flu bug.

Until then it's something that spreads like wildfire, best contained by a regimen of testing and isolation, to be followed by having both better treatments / protocols and sufficient supplies to use them -- still later maybe a vaccine. If we don't take steps (right now mostly avoiding contact with the virus and the larger groups where it's almost sure to be present) it will become a much larger problem before it gets better.

We have a choice - stop it soon as we can -- or see it become something like the Spanish Flu (that, too, "just" an influenza virus).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Nice.

Can you see Russia from there?
    Gawd what a joke she was. She is not popular around these parts. She supported the "bridge to nowhere" until she became a national candidate. Personally, I think that it cost too much.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT: [see through masks? so you could enter a bank without having the guards draw on you...]

But with higher numbers of bank guard shooting people that might cut down the number of corona virus deaths.
    Cant die if you are already dead... i think...wait, where is my calculator...

I know poor taste with such a serious problem so I will delete this.

Looks like a good mask here but re using the same mask, guess you would need a way to clean it.

Safe Mask Pro 5 Finally Available - Selling out fast

Cant find the pro-5 price
    but others on amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?i=tools&rh=...09&ref=sr_pg_1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The estimate was that if we let it run through the population and did nothing that it would cause 2.2 million deaths in the US. But that assumes the affected individuals could get health care.

In the (unlikely) absence of any control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behaviour, we would expect a peak in mortality (daily deaths) to occur after approximately 3 months (Figure 1A). In such scenarios, given an estimated R0 of 2.4, we predict 81% of the GB and US populations would be infected over the course of the epidemic. Epidemic timings are approximate given the limitations of surveillance data in both countries: The epidemic is predicted to be broader in the US than in GB and to peak slightly later. This is due to the larger geographic scale of the US, resulting in more distinct localised epidemics across states (Figure 1B) than seen across GB. The higher peak in mortality in GB 16 March 2020 Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team is due to the smaller size of the country and its older population compared with the US. In total, in an unmitigated epidemic, we would predict approximately 510,000 deaths in GB and 2.2 million in the US, not accounting for the potential negative effects of health systems being overwhelmed on mortality. p.6
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

I emphasized the last sentence. If patients can't get medical care deaths would be a multiple of 2.2 million. This would massively overload our health care system. We are still at the start of this and already we have health care facilities in some cities overwhelmed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, it's not the same. You could read up on it.

Once we have some immunity, maybe a vaccine that sort of tracks it, then it's another flu bug.

Until then it's something that spreads like wildfire, best contained by a regimen of testing and isolation, to be followed by having both better treatments / protocols and sufficient supplies to use them -- still later maybe a vaccine. If we don't take steps (right now mostly avoiding contact with the virus and the larger groups where it's almost sure to be present) it will become a much larger problem before it gets better.

We have a choice - stop it soon as we can -- or see it become something like the Spanish Flu (that, too, "just" an influenza virus).
    There are several strong similarities to "the seasonal flu" . Also similar to SARS, MERS and others.

Both are virus (as opposed to bacterial etc.)

Both are transmitted by transfer of the virus it's self. (no magic "ill vapours", fleas, ticks or rats )

Both manifest with very similar symptoms , cough, head ache etc.

Both kill by the same mechanisms, predominantly respiratory failure.

The differences is in the timing and the intensity.

It will be most educational to follow Belarus and Sweden, along with some of the South American states that have announce an intent to NOT adhere to draconian isolation practices. Time will tell how that works out . Statistics and all that....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    QT:

But with higher numbers of bank guard shooting people that might cut down the number of corona virus deaths.
    Cant die if you are already dead... i think...wait, where is my calculator...
    But if you are twice dead , can you still vote? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    If you kill a zombie, does that mean it comes back to (regular) life?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many times have you had influenza in your life? How many times did you go to the doctor because of it? At 64 I've had it many times and can only remember going to the doctor twice. Never to the hospital.

So what about right now? How many people in the US have it and are not sick at all, or not sick enough to go to the doctor? There are those that say that possibly millions of Americans have/had Covid-19.

Most of us can't get tested unless we have severe symptoms, so the only confirmed cases are the really bad ones. What about the rest of them? The vast majority of people are not going to get very sick and are not part of the statistics. How many people is that? Millions sounds plausible to me.

YouTube

10. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ptsmith View Post
    How many times have you had influenza in your life? How many times did you go to the doctor because of it? At 64 I've had it many times and can only remember going to the doctor twice. Never to the hospital.

So what about right now? How many people in the US have it and are not sick at all, or not sick enough to go to the doctor? There are those that say that possibly millions of Americans have/had Covid-19.

Most of us can't get tested unless we have severe symptoms, so the only confirmed cases are the really bad ones. What about the rest of them? The vast majority of people are not going to get very sick and are not part of the statistics. How many people is that? Millions sounds plausible to me.

YouTube
    True.

If a disease doesn't make YOU sick, is it a disease?

We all differ..

12. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only in Cook County.
    Chicago saying..when I die bury me in cook county so I can still vote.
    Bill D.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Guy View Post
    The indoctrinated dipshit is enjoying the view from mom's basement today.

Attachment 283441
    Knik Inlet ? From the downtownish area, maybe ? Looks similar to the view from Turnagain but twisted a little. Can you see McKinley ? And very upscale from pioneer days ... on the anchor, on the anchor, echoes to the sky ... medical, living in Alaska, you probably know Sandy Gottstein ? Tell her hi

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Posting this copy here as well as the other Cov19 thread

So there's talk about the mail possibly being contaminated. And I thought of putting the important mail in a container outside and letting it sit there for 2-3 days as they say the virus dies off in that time. Then I wondered if putting a elevated base in the bottom and adding about 1/2" of Clorox in the bottom (with a cover on top) might help speed the process. No idea if that's plausible or fantasy.
    But then I began to google Chlorine Gas, thinking about Chlorine in municipal water systems and swimming pools, and they do recommend washing down surfaces with bleach to kill Cov19. And I found a paper where a study was done in Japan I think, back in 2011 about possibly using low levels of Chlorine Gas to disinfect rooms, like daycare, etc. The paper says it's effective at such low levels, 'residents don't need to be evacuated'. So....IF it's viable, why not inject proper levels of Chlorine Gas into hospital HVAC systems to help disinfect?

Here's the paper
    Error - Cookies Turned Off

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post

So there's talk about the mail possibly being contaminated. And I thought of putting the important mail in a container outside and letting it sit there for 2-3 days as they say the virus dies off in that time. Then I wondered if putting a elevated base in the bottom and adding about 1/2" of Clorox in the bottom (with a cover on top) might help speed the process. No idea if that's plausible or fantasy.
    But then I began to google Chlorine Gas, thinking about Chlorine in municipal water systems and swimming pools, and they do recommend washing down surfaces with bleach to kill Cov19. And I found a paper where a study was done in Japan I think, back in 2011 about possibly using low levels of Chlorine Gas to disinfect rooms, like daycare, etc. The paper says it's effective at such low levels, 'residents don't need to be evacuated'. So....IF it's viable, why not inject proper levels of Chlorine Gas into hospital HVAC systems to help disinfect?

Here's the paper
    Get over it!

If you need chlorine gas to get your mail, life is not worth living....

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The value in your post is that it proves douche bags are in good supply on this site.

Get over it!

If you need chlorine gas to get your mail, life is not worth living....

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It will never be "another flu bug". It's its own thing. Less bothersome to most people but deadly to some, and the some numbers are way larger than the flu-some numbers.

How do people die from flu, out of morbid curiosity ? Frothing thrashing in distress, or fairly quietly ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    It will never be "another flu bug". It's its own thing. . .
    Well, it's certainly a unique sequence of RNA encased in a fatty ball with projections shaped just right to attach to lung cells.

However, with a vaccine it could become like polio - a problem mostly solved.

Even short of that we can greatly reduce it's mortality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Borrowed this link from EG's post number #142.
    The U.S. tried to build a new fleet of ventilators. The mission failed. | Boston.com
    Anyone heard about the rotating bed that KCI was experimenting with about 15 years ago. Pneumonia patients were strapped in and it rotated back and forth to prevent accumulation of fluids. Employees told me they nicknamed it the Lazarus bed because patients near death could be put into this thing and be walking around in a couple of days.
    Not sure if KCI is still in San Antonio. We made a lot of parts for them back till they required all the certification. A few years later they were bought out by a competing wound care company. I have not heard anything about them lately. After the buy out, I think competing technologies and other lines were dropped.

Still have boxes of KCI parts in the corners, we made 100,000s of parts for them with not one reject but that was not good enough. Some of the left over parts were for hospital beds.

Anyone know if rotating hospital beds for pneumonia are in use today?

21. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post

Anyone know if rotating hospital beds for pneumonia are in use today?
    No, but one thing that I'm not sure about is whether the lung distress some virus victims suffer is truly like pneumonia. Or perhaps some get classic symptoms, and some don't, even if both feel like they're going to die.

This is an interesting story told by a survivor, but she's not "well" yet, still feeling the effects of her damaged lungs. And yet her husband (who she thinks is the vector) had no symptoms and seems fine.

West Roxbury resident explains what having COVID-19 can feel like | Boston.com

Very odd disease, almost capricious...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post

Here's the paper
    What your looking for is a "ton container" of the stuff.
    ton container at DuckDuckGo

I don't like getting within 50' of them.