What's new
What's new

O. T., couple bad habits I can’t stand with people cooking, from potager to chef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanola

Stainless
Gordon Ramsay, René Schudel, Ina Gartner, and many more, praised and admired, of course also hated –

for instance by me for what they do. What do they all do that makes me cringe time and again? Well, they pound cutlery on the rims of pots. They go into earthenware with metal forks, metal spoons, if not porcelain. Stainless steel tongs, heavers, and scoops in cast iron pans. I just can’t have it. Not to imagine metal scrubbing on tinned copper!

As a metalworker I should love to see how they use up kitchen hardware, it keeps the market alive. New pans are bought. Still, you use wooden ladles or the more modern version made from silicon rubber. Am I right?

that's why ALL of my knives are solid AL-OX or carbide . the really important stuff is either PCD or CBN
encrusted (like my Zircon encrusted tweezers} . the more pedestrian stuff is TiCn or TiN coated( with the
exception of PFTE coatings necessary with acidic foods such as tomatoes. did i mention ALL my pans and
vessels are solid bronze with carbon-composite lids?

it is my line of LEGACY kitchenware.

Same as home shop harry keeps the speeds and feed down low to save the tooling. Being paid by the hour you trade consumable wear cost vs. payroll time. HSH takes twice as long but his tooling lasts 25% more cutting distance. He has saved 25%
Shop guy runs at full speed and his tooling cost is 25% higher say $5.00 an hour more but his salary is 25% less. say $7.50 salary saved on a one hour job. Plus the saving on the machine time which costs money just sitting there. Instead of having that money invested in a lathe not being used it could be in a bank earning interest or a different machine that is being used.
I used to know the figures but a big jet, like a 747, costs about 4,000 dollars an hour just to own. This is just the cost of the money invested in that instead of earning interest in a bank. I do not include the cost of fuel, crew, rent for a parking space, etc.
Bill D

In a commercial kitchen pots pans hand held tools are considered consumables just like end mills in a machine shop.

So do the fancy restaurants buy the super expensive ones that range in the thousands for a set or mid range ones that range in the few hundred?

that's why ALL of my knives are solid AL-OX or carbide . the really important stuff is either PCD or CBN
encrusted (like my Zircon encrusted tweezers} . the more pedestrian stuff is TiCn or TiN coated( with the
exception of PFTE coatings necessary with acidic foods such as tomatoes. did i mention ALL my pans and

I've only been cooking for sixty years, so most of my cookware is cast iron, but with stainless for acidic. The knives are carbon steel with wood handles.

In all that time, I've never seen solid bronze cookware. Where does one find that?

As to "LEGACY", once one has attended a few hundred estate sales and auctions, legacy is a chimera. What was most prized by the deceased is often going out the door next week to the highest bidder.

A relative sold a Steinway grand piano for dirt cheap. "It was mother's pride-and-joy, but I hated it when my mother made me take piano lessons. I hated polishing it. I hated that it took up half the living room and now that she's gone, it's gone!"

jack vines

So do the fancy restaurants buy the super expensive ones that range in the thousands for a set or mid range ones that range in the few hundred?

They buy Restaurant supplies from a trade supplier. So, neither.

As for the OP, well, they can treat their stuff as they see fit, really.

If that's the biggest problem in yer life, you should grin, crack a beverage, and toss a generalized "Thank You!" off at whatever deity you might wish to thank.

Shit. i just added it up. There are 7,652 things the bug me more than how commercial chefs treat their pots. That's a pot for the very back burner

trevj already answered your question, but I will add you can cook just as well in a cast iron pan you bought at the flea market for $5.00 as you can in a pan that costs $$$$

And the pygmy pony over by the dental floss bush that you rode in on ?:)

I watch a cooking video for the food.
Would you use a stainless whisk in a pure copper bowl? Only if you know what you are doing.

They must be like Jedi chefs, awesome
I don’t like glass chopping boards, I have a wooden one, my dad did his bit in the army in the catering corps, heroically cooking stuff, he reckoned knives were a bit religious, chef’s had their own as did butchers, they were very protective of them, all carbon steel, no stainless then
It’s surprising what can push our buttons,
Mark

Pro cooks use pro hardware meant to be pushed to the limit, if not beat to shit, to get as much food onto the table as fast as possible. Time is money and daintily stirring with raised pinkies ain't gonna cut it..........Bob

"The machinist, the one they called Chef, was from New Orleans. He was wrapped too tight for Vietnam, probably wrapped too tight for New Orleans. "

perhaps some of the military types here can explain why mechanic and machinist are interchangeable terms in
the armed forces....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back