What's new
What's new

Lathe quick change tool post Handle issue

vibram

Plastic
Hi
Sorry for beginner question but I have this cheap chinese QCTP and the handle is not really handy, it can contact the workpiece
I spend few minutes to figure out if it was possible to rotate the whole thing but I din't manage.
I put 2 pictures: handle at 11 oclock is open and handle a 2 is closed position
Is my only solution to drill and tap a new hole?IMG_20200131_143009.jpg
IMG_20200131_143001.jpg

Thank you

Either drill and tap a new hole or make an adapter that will allow the use of a repositionable lever. The kind I'm talking about have either male or female threads and a male spline with a spring-loaded female spline that can be lifted easily to reposition the lever. It would take some thinking and you would most likely have to drill and tap the top of the handle hub but it would be a far more elegant solution than unscrewing and moving the stock lever.

Thank you for your quick reply
I already have a Wedge type but this one was a mistake from the supplier and I will not throw it away but put it on the carriage to do small operation like chamfering
I dismantle the whole thing but the only solution I caIMG_20200131_151147.jpgIMG_20200131_151141_1.jpgn see is drilling and taping

Yes, I was going to say "washer". You can buy shim washers in various sizes and thicknesses.

Or just make them from aluminum pie plates. Use tin snips and a paper punch for the hole.

I put several thin washers under mine until the handle was where I wanted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The washer thing work with wedge type but not piston I guess

I drill another hole, this is fine
Thank you for your help

That won't work(turning the tee nut).
It is a simple barrel cam that has been assembled wrong as Moonlite says.You can change the position slightly by shimming under the piston pads,to much and the pistons won't retract enough to clear the blocks when installing.

I simply drilled and tapped a couple extra holes in my wedge-type PhaseII. Using the post for boring means you are likely to have interference if you only have on handle position. So the extra positions are definitely convenient and take only a few minutes. It has served me well on my EE for hundreds of hours.

Denis

I guess I did not understand it was a piston type.

The first thing that I would try is an indignant phone call to the supplier stating that it IS DEFECTIVE and that the defect prevents it from being used for it's intended purpose.. Demand a replacement that works properly. If the person on the phone does not comply, then ask, no insist on talking to a supervisor or manager. If this does not work, then do not wait too long to take the next step, below.

I don't know how the banking laws work in Switzerland, but here, in the US, if you paid by CREDIT CARD, you can contact the card company and explain the situation. Use words like "FRAUD" and "DEFECTIVE" product. And demand that they reverse the charge and refund your money. That will get the attention of the supplier. If you paid by other means, then you may have a harder time getting your money back.

I don't care if it IS a cheap import, it should still work. It should serve it's intended purpose. And you should not have to modify or repair it. It is the seller's job to provide it in proper, working condition.

Return shipping costs money and the supplier should pay 100% of that cost. Many sellers don't want to pay that cost and you could wind up with two tool holders. But you would be lucky if one of them works properly. The seller, of course, should also pay the full cost of shipping the replacement.

If these sellers do not know that the import stuff they are selling is defective, then they will just continue to sell it to more unfortunates.

How are washers going to change the operating point of a cam pushing out the plungers?

Dave H. (the other one)

From his second post, it sounds like the supplier told him to bin it when they sent a replacement - good luck chasing them for a replacement on something they gave away... We're not all whingeing Merkins, you know ;)

Dave H. (the other one0

IIRC you simply dis-assemble it, and then reset it.

Been awhile since I had mine apart, but IIRC take the "pistons" out. Rotate the central "drum" 180 degrees and reinstall.

Hopefuldave, the shims change the length of the piston/pad assy so the pads bottom out on the tool blocks at a lower part of the cam;the handle doesn't move as far.
The only drawback is that max holding force is just before overcenter so shimming locks at a steeper angle thus less force for the same handle torque.Besides all that bs I haven't noticed any difference.
Crap like this is not worth my time to make a phone call as I can fix it in less time and aggravation.

As for top brand name, wedge or piston none of the parts I make are any better or worse whatever I use.I have some Aloris and various cheap ones and it's just not been a problem.

One thing I have done to all my posts whenever I have had to service them is to groove the cap for o'rings since we use coolant and it helps keep lube in /coolant out.

O-rings are a good idea (though I don't use water-based coolant since stripping the QCGB with a rancid coolant bath where it should have had an oil bath - wrecked some Unobtainium taper-roller bearings, a bit overbuilt back in the 50's...) - I've put a thrust bearing between the hold-down nut and toolpost body, makes it easier to get it really tight and prevent it moving under heavy cuts.

Dave H. (the other one)

Back