O/T - Deterring squirrels. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the many screwed up things about our society is how animals are quickly becoming elevated to human status. In fact, often better-than-human status.

If a human were destroying your property, you'd be outraged. But when an animal does it, you have 32 mooks gently remind you that the squirrels, like the Arapahoe, were here first and it's you who are the intruder.

Super Colibri .22's are at least as quiet as a BB gun and far more deadly. Invest.

2. Likes digger doug, Rudd, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

If your gonna play "Catch & release" at least spray paint their tail, to see if any are "repeat offenders"......

They don't like it, but in the box trap, it's pretty easy to do, try adding the red tube from carb cleaner to get a nice clean dot.

Better buy 6 colors or so, I'll wager you'll need to start a barcoding system, and a "app" with photo recognition…..

4. Likes JohnEvans, Ray Behner, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No solutions other than trapping and shooting?

I'm disappointed, I've always known this crowd to be a bit more "inventive"...

6. Likes Flute Maker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    No solutions other than trapping and shooting?

I'm disappointed, I've always known this crowd to be a bit more "inventive"...
    Well, there is the "robotic predator"..... You have, as far as I know, to make it yourself, there are none on the market.

An IR motion sensor, on the front of a battery powered "cart". When it sees somethng move, it "attacks" towards the critter. Might need a couple sensors for steering help.

When we had tons of the fuzzy tailed rats, I thought about it. Now the oak trees are gone, and if my neighbor did not feed birds, squirrels, possum, and 'coons, I'd have little problem with critters. But she does. Back in the days of many squirrels, we'd easily have a dozen or 15 in the yard at one time. had to grow tomatos, sweet peppers, and tomatillos in a cage, or we'd never get one.
    W

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The ones that got in my attic had two different solutions.

1) The squirrel excluder. Its like half a trap. You set it up so the your attic is "outdoors" and the rest of the world is the trap. That is, set up the door so the the critters can get out, but not back in. If your attic is relatively secure, this works. I was worried that once the little bastards had some nuts in my attic, they'd find another hole to crawl in. So after warning my neighbor (former Army officer and Desert Storm vet) that I was going to be taking out a nasty insurgent with an air rifle, I did just that as he was trying to reenter through the excluder.

2) A trap in the attic with peanut butter.

Now, once you've trapped the guy, you have a dilemma. You're supposed to release the thing at least 12 miles away, or they find their way back. And if you drive 12 miles away and release the pre-trained attic-incursion rodents, you're taking your problem and giving it to someone else. So a garbage pail filed with rainwater was used. Turns out, squirrels aren't any good at all swimming laps. So while they're quite effective at taking out property above ground, they'd make lousy UDT/Seal commandos.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post
    So a garbage pail filed with rainwater was used. Turns out, squirrels aren't any good at all swimming laps. So while they're quite effective at taking out property above ground, they'd make lousy UDT/Seal commandos.
    Kinda a cruel bastard aren't you ?

10. Likes reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    or you could acquire a taste for them;
    5 Great Squirrel Recipes You Won't Be Able to Resist
    Hey Larry,

I've never had any of those recipes, but I have had the misfortune of once trying squirrel stew. Had a friend in the Blue Ridge in VA who was a survivalist forty years ahead of his time. He invited me to dinner. I accepted, before knowing that the entree was squirrel stew. The acute gaminess of the meat was outdone only by the mouth feel of it. I thought I was chewing on a rubber nose. I swear that, the longer you chewed it, the bigger it got. Forgive me, but I think I'll pass.

Ron

12. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a friend who took on his squirrel problem with a Havahart trap and a sharp stick. He dispatched near a hundred before it slowed down enough to get boring. You can kill them faster than they breed, but it'll take a while to thin down the whole neighborhood.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NRDock View Post
    I have a friend who took on his squirrel problem with a Havahart trap and a sharp stick. He dispatched near a hundred before it slowed down enough to get boring. You can kill them faster than they breed, but it'll take a while to thin down the whole neighborhood.
    "A sharp stick" ?

Why not some starting fluid first ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Kinda a cruel bastard aren't you ?
    Have to agree with that. Killing them quickly & painlessly (as possible) is one thing.

Drowning them is utterly unacceptable.

As for relocating them, if it;s anything like our possums, it's a waste of time. If it's good habitat, it's already at carrying capacity and adding a new, strange animal will just get it killed by the locals who know the terrain, food supplies etc etc.

Relocation might make you feel good but it rarely actually does anything else. Either kill them or ignore them and take steps to keep them out of areas you really don't want them to be. I fence my wildlife out rather than shoot it but I'm pragmatic; this is good habitat, if I kill a bunch all that's going to happen is a new bunch will move in. Waste of my time.

PDW

16. Likes neilho, doug8cat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my property my main problem was the squirrels eating all my fruit off the trees. I tried a bunch of solutions but ultimately came to a happy equilibrium. I let em live on my property, but I block their access to the fruits by a) trimming the branches up to about 5ft, b) installing a 4ft high solid aluminum wall (1/16" thick) around the tree, and c) applying industrial strength cayenne pepper liquid on the tree trunk and in the holes they dig under the aluminum fence. The aluminum fence is too slippery for them to climb, they can't jump up to the tree branches from the ground, and the pepper liquid seems to dissuade them from digging a lot.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    Well, there is the "robotic predator"..... You have, as far as I know, to make it yourself, there are none on the market.

An IR motion sensor, on the front of a battery powered "cart". When it sees somethng move, it "attacks" towards the critter. Might need a couple sensors for steering help.

When we had tons of the fuzzy tailed rats, I thought about it. Now the oak trees are gone, and if my neighbor did not feed birds, squirrels, possum, and 'coons, I'd have little problem with critters. But she does. Back in the days of many squirrels, we'd easily have a dozen or 15 in the yard at one time. had to grow tomatos, sweet peppers, and tomatillos in a cage, or we'd never get one.
    W

Hmmm, wonder if you could program a drone to chase them off?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Have to agree with that. Killing them quickly & painlessly (as possible) is one thing.

Drowning them is utterly unacceptable.

As for relocating them, if it;s anything like our possums, it's a waste of time. If it's good habitat, it's already at carrying capacity and adding a new, strange animal will just get it killed by the locals who know the terrain, food supplies etc etc.

Relocation might make you feel good but it rarely actually does anything else. Either kill them or ignore them and take steps to keep them out of areas you really don't want them to be. I fence my wildlife out rather than shoot it but I'm pragmatic; this is good habitat, if I kill a bunch all that's going to happen is a new bunch will move in. Waste of my time.

PDW
    Where I relocate to the squirrel population is several times larger than anywhere else so I am confident they aren't all getting killed. Trapping the scouts does make a significant reduction in how many try moving in. With this method our vegetable garden is pretty much left alone, save the rabbits and birds, birds being the worst by far. Short of a solid wall they couldn't climb there is no keeping the squirrels out of the garden, I tried for a while.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont you have any hungry stray cats there?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What good are fruit trees if the squirrels snatch everything before anything becomes ripe.

One nectarine tree was getting the business this year. So I made a pre-emptive strike and picked everything off the tree. The next day Charlie must have wondered what the heck happened.

They did damage to my electrical service ground cable. Aluminium strand cord was chewed in half. They sharpen their teeth that way, according to the power company guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My shorthaired pointer spends pretty much all day in the fall trying to eliminate the ground squirrels from our property. He's rarely successful, but it keeps them both occupied and prevents them destroying everything else. I just dodge the holes with the mower.

In many areas it's illegal to relocate animals, they have to be released within a few feet of where they were caught. So you might want to be careful not to get caught.

I hate rodents as much as the next man, but I couldn't purposely drown them. That's almost as bad as the guys who poison them with anti-freeze.

On that note, most anti-freeze now has a bittering agent that tastes bloody awful and lingers for far too long. Ask me how I know...

23. Likes reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Where I relocate to the squirrel population is several times larger than anywhere else so I am confident they aren't all getting killed.
    That is utterly irrelevant. It's not about the area of land, it's about the carrying capacity and the current resident population.

I'm not going to bother with arguing this here. It's pointless with people who don't want to read the literature and want to feel good about what they're doing, even when what they're doing is actually little or no better than drowning the animals.

FWIW I'm not an animal preservationist, I've shot and killed more animals than most people. I'm a mostly retired scientist who took one of my degrees in population ecology. We had to study exactly these sorts of scenarios.

I reiterate - you're doing those animals no favours at all by moving them. Kill them & own the moral responsibility or leave them alone & invest in good fences/wire enclosures for stuff you want to protect.

Nearly every vegetable garden and small home orchard around here is fully enclosed for good reason. You kill or remove the resident animals and more move in to the vacant ecological niche. OK you buy some time, I shoot feral cats to reduce their numbers and cut down on their efficiency as predators. But, note, I DO NOT live-trap them and then make those animals a problem elsewhere.

I doubt you'll change your mind but others might read this and for every 100, maybe one will check up the literature and re-think what they're doing.

PDW

25. Likes Ray Behner, reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So its not OK to relocate gophers to the jackass neighbors yard?

27. Likes camscan, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anybody try this?

Buy Rodent Repellent Online | Critter Out Shop

I did try other mixtures but they have to be re-applied often. This says it contains "gum arabic & vegitable oil" to last longer:

Frequently Asked Questions | Critter Out

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get a CAT

No more squirrels in my attic any more.

John

30. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post