What's new
What's new

O/T - Elastomer good for petroleum based oil?

Terry Keeley

Titanium
Have some Trico drip oilers with washers that are swelling with Shell Tellus 15 (Morlina S2 BL). I'm assuming they're NBR (also known as Nitrile), Parker says it should be OK but it's obviously not.

Got a suggestion for compatible material?

If you have a set of larger shim punches (1.5" & 1.25"), buying a 12 x 12 sheet of Viton is another possibility. Maybe $30 or so.

Another thought may not be the best approach here but McMaster has a custom gasket cutting service where they will custom cut any shape you need in the material of your choice. McMaster-Carr

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I've had the need to make punches for shim stock and gaskets and when needed its always in a rush. Instead of heat treating stock it dawned on me that I have been throwing away good punch material. Old bearing races, inner and outer. They are easly machined with carbide and so far seem to hold up well just don't use a hard steel platen. Never had one chip. Just turn up a press fit mandrel out of scrap.Since they are dead on metric size the inner races can make clearance by beveling the inner id and the ods on the outside races.

You could draw the temper down if worried about chipping but I havn't needed to. I stone the edge after cutting.

I made a lathe tool holder for a box cutter razor to cut plastics and tubing by pressing the material over a piece of round relieved in the cut area.

Another thought may not be the best approach here but McMaster has a custom gasket cutting service where they will custom cut any shape you need in the material of your choice. McMaster-Carr

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Figure I could get about 64 washers out of their 12" x 12" sheet for $95, I only need about 12.

I wonder if 1/16" Viton sheet can be water jet cut? Hmmm...

Back