What's new
What's new

O/T - Electric blanket that doesn't crap out after one season?

Terry Keeley

Titanium
Been through several Sunbeams, they all start out good but after a few months don't heat up much. They do have a five year warrantee but it's a joke, trying to get a replacement is a major hassle and can take months.

I tried looking on line to troubleshoot but didn't find much, I think the wires deteriorate with use.

Any brand that seems to last more than a few months?

Ahh, winter in Kanuckistan...

Here in Houston, and electric blanket will last a lifetime. lol

Actually I have several Sunbeams and they all have worked well for years. But they run at lower settings, like 2-4. Maybe at high settings they'd burn out.

I switched to Binneford (sp) heating pad from walmart. Last longer and fell better on the back. I hear it is usually the connections to the cable connector at the foot of the blanket. Or one of the online safety switches.
I hear an electricians wire tracer, fox and hound, can find the bad connection.\
Bill D

Biddefords are nice. Plenty of 'horsepower' to get very hot in a hurry, though no automatic preheat function. I just make a habit of switching it on an hour or three in advance. It usually stays on the absolute lowest setting because anything more is just too hot.

Then again mine only gets used as supplemental heat in a closed room with a thermostatically controlled space heater.

Mine's lasted years with no signs of stopping.

Wally World

The second Sunbeam crapped out this spring, I never turn it above 4, but it does stay on 24/7 because otherwise I forget to turn it on, and a cold bed sucks. What is the difference between a heated blanket and a heated mattress pad? I've been using the blanket as a mattress pad, a friend thinks its going to burn my bed up:eek:

I find it odd that they are not lasting for you. I know ours has some guidelines for washing that include not using the regular cycle on the washing machine. I think it just beats the crap out of the wiring. We get rid of ours when we get tired of it or my wife needs some retail therapy. Never had one go bad. We have been heating with wood for the last fifty years and although the winters are not severe here It can go down to 55 or so in the house in the morning. Electric blanket good, nuts freezing and dropping off bad.

Some new manufactured things like that can be 3rd world garbage.
When I wanted space heaters that were well designed and manufactured,
I went on ebay and searched for “vintage”.
One of my portable space heaters is from 195x, (that one was built in Buffalo, NY)
the other a modern one from 197x.
I have run them all Winter here (both days), no issues……
I just looked on ebay for “vintage electric blanket”, found many.

Some new manufactured things like that can be 3rd world garbage.
When I wanted space heaters that were well designed and manufactured,
I went on ebay and searched for “vintage”.
One of my portable space heaters is from 195x, (that one was built in Buffalo, NY)
the other a modern one from 197x.
I have run them all Winter here (both days), no issues……
I just looked on ebay for “vintage electric blanket”, found many.

It seems they all switched to a low voltage dc technology about twenty years ago due to fires.

I found this post on an electronics forum and it seems to fit what's been happening to me:

"We bought 2 throws and a blanket, all of which have drastically dropped off in temperature. I called Walmart and they won't take them back after 1 month. being the electronics technologist that I am, I cut open the blanket to see what could have failed. There is a temperature sensor in the blanket that sends the temperature back to the controller. I looked up the part # of the microchip and found it was a microcontroller that has some internal memory. I also measured the resistance of the heating wires and calculated how much heat I should be getting. The heating wires are fine. What is happening is the microcontroller is detecting a temperature that it thinks is to high and permanently programming itself to not let the temp get very warm. This is permanent and cannot be repaired. This thing is programmed to fail, which should be against the law. After this I don't trust Sunbeam at all and they will never see single penny from me again."

Maybe I'll try a Biddeford, anyone have one that's lasted more than a couple years? BTW, we use it between the sheet and a comforter mainly just to warm the bed, we never wash it.

I know somebody has already suggested it. But go with the heated mattress pad..

I lived in a 1963 double wide for 7 years. The furnace quit the first year, and since
I was paying literal chump change for rent, I tried not to bother the land lord..
I went 3 or 4 years with no furnace.. (it was a $9.95 thermocouple)

The place was cool.. Right next to an old 1870's fort. Ruins right outside my front door.
Old busted pottery and glass all over my front yard.. My land lords had an entire wall
devoted to the things they found.. Old guns (minus the wood), cannon balls, bottles, a
button that was multiple times better than what the museum over at the ruins had.. And what I
though was the coolest one. A key chain, with 14 keys on it. Old school..

Anyways.. The trailer was a piece of shit, even though it was a double wide.. 2x2 walls, all
the insulation had fallen down and was only in the bottom foot or so.. The windows were
those flappy louver things that didn't seal for shit.. In the winter it was a space heater
in the living room, that I sat almost literally on top of, and the heated mattress pad..

I've used electric blankets before.. Mehhh.. But the mattress pad.. It puts like a dome of
warm around your bed.. Even when it got down into the 40's in that trailer, or even the high
30's (and that's as cold as I saw it).. I slept like a baby.. Nice and warm in my little bubble
of warmth. Your foot sticks out of the blanket.. Still warm.. Your nose doesn't get cold. Heat
is coming up through the pillow.. Heated mattress pad all the way..

Even when I did fix the furnace, I only used it when I had company. The heat left as fast as
the furnace could make it.. Cheaper to use the one space heater, and sit on top of it, and use
the heated mattress pad to sleep.

Piece of pottery I found in my front yard.

2561075043_a46812a6fe_z.jpg

When I was kid growing up in Bayonne in a cold water flat the bed had a piezena, or feather bed. Brought from the old country by my grand mother. Seemed about a foot thick and was light as a feather (of course). Better than any electric blanket. No fiddling with settings. Toasty warm on the coldest nights. Lasted forever and needed no electricity.
I'm guessing some of the older Polacks here know what I'm talking about.....Bob

Been through several Sunbeams, they all start out good but after a few months don't heat up much. They do have a five year warrantee but it's a joke, trying to get a replacement is a major hassle and can take months.

I tried looking on line to troubleshoot but didn't find much, I think the wires deteriorate with use.

Any brand that seems to last more than a few months?

Ahh, winter in Kanuckistan...

Try running it on 120 vac this time....crazy canucks.....:D

This crazy Canuck wonders why the fuss. Having regularly slept below -50 outside, the key is insulation. Get a better duvet or do like I do in winter- two duvets.

When sleeping outside, trick is to chuck a one liter of boiling water in an insulated nalgene down by your knees. Warms you and the sleeping bag all night :-) If I had a cold house, I’d do similar to pre-game my bed.

Sleeping next to someone having hot flushes also helps…. Kinda….

L7

They reckon sulphur tablets if they fart the death fart, not sure what you give golden retrievers though
Mark

Back