What's new
What's new

O.T. Front Differential I.D. 2000 AWD Astro Van

gmach10

Hot Rolled
So here I am returning to the "Table of Knowledge" hat in hand. Does anyone know what model, type, nickname for the type of front differential that's in a 2000 AWD Chevy Astro van? I swear this looks very close to the one that was in my '89 S10 Blazer. Mine is leaking and I'd like to go through it but even searching the internet nothing jumps out. Rock Auto Advanced Auto etc. all sell bearing kits for the rear differential but it seems no one lists anything for the front. Rock sells a rebuilt replacement for around $600.00 + shipping. I figure it can't have $200.00 worth of bearings and seals. The best I can get from some of the Astro van forums is "Check the oil" and "That's a job best left to the pro's". Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Glenn.

No help, but I didn't know anyone could put enough transmissions in the awd version to wear out the front differential.

It's a 2000 with 220,000 miles. Pinion bearing seal is leaking as well as seals at the CV shafts. The wife parks in the garage, quite a turn. Full time AWD doesn't like it. As a side bar, anyone with an AWD car truck or SUV needs to maintain the transfer case fluid. Some transfer cases have slip clutches and keeping the fluid clean adds to their life. Just saying.

Ive done lots of axle repairs and generally you can get by without bearings ,just tighten up the adjustment ,replace the seals and boots......this is provided there hasnt been water leaking into the drive....Split /leaking boots on the shafts will wreck the CVs in no time......but if GM used chinese bearings then 200k is about the limit.

Back