O.T. Golf club question
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.E. Illinois
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    75
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default O.T. Golf club question

    Been playing golf for about 10 years now. Not good just average, 15 handicap for the league I'm in. Being left handed finding clubs hasn't been that easy. I play second and hand me downs mostly. Oldest just got her Masters in Nursing so she'll pretty much be off the payroll second has two more years for a Civil Engineering degree. New clubs aren't an option. (Have you priced the damn things lately? $500.00 for a driver!) So here's my question for those that golf. My used Taylor made R7 driver which is a hollow large head driver doesn't seem to connect as I think it should. Yeah it's not the Arrow it's the Indian I get it. But does anyone know if these can wear out. Do the faces after so many strikes get like an oil can and get fatigued? My irons are an older set of Callaways X22's I believe. My playing partner commented to me that they looked short for me. I measured them and yes they were by about an inch. So I lengthened them to fit my height. (Clubs have a standard length from the 3 iron down they progressively get shorter by 1/2" per club.) I now have a set of irons you could probably set micrometers to. It's a machinist thing.
    I also have some older drivers that are solid head, these seem to me to be of a more sound design nothing can deflect. I suppose it wouldn't be good business to sell something that never wears out. I used to fish when I had free time and I thought those guys were suckers till golf came along. Has anyone every experimented with clubs? Drivers in particular? We can't talk about work all the time BTW. Any input or thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Geilenkirchen, Germany
    Posts
    2,410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1447
    Likes (Received)
    1222

    Default

    I've been playing golf for more than 60 years. Yes, new clubs are very over priced for what they are, but there is significant knowledge required to make or modify golf clubs and you do not have it. It is possible to save significant money by making your own. Components are available to do this, but your efforts will NOT be successful without serious reading and study about what works and why and then acquiring the skills to do it. My point is simple, it is not plug and play. Success is very much a product of experience. You can do this, but you will have lots of failures.

    On the question of club face failure, yes it happens, but rarely. It is usually due to a casting flaw. These heads are pretty well controlled during manufacture and then heat treated. These club heads are supposed to be type tested and certified for adherence to the R&A/USGA COR regulation (COR)being the Coefficient of Restitution or the rate of face spring upon impact.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,689
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    533
    Likes (Received)
    2481

    Default

    Golf clubs don't need to 'wear out' any more than handbags or shoes. They're replaced well ahead of that time by the incessant need for something better and more impressive. In the case of golf, it's the allure of THE club that will finally make the difference in your game.

    Give your driver to a Tiger Woods or Brooks Koepka and he'll show you just how worn out it is....

  4. Likes Toms Wheels liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    barcelona, spain
    Posts
    2,401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    539
    Likes (Received)
    1438

    Default

    Clubs don´t wear out.

    The have different lengths and stiffnesses, so a given club will be different to a given player.
    Grip thicknesses also vary, can be changed.

    Most people don´t use the right stiffness.
    When young, I used flexible (less than medium) shafts to get excellent results, as I was not strong.
    More floppy and a bit harder to use but get excellent results if your technique and impact points are good.
    Flexible gets longer shots for average players, but is harder to control.

    Stiff shafts are for those who can hit 240 m drives (me).
    Have about 20 trophies here and there, started at 13.

    I might hit 240 with a modern titanium faced driver, and maybe 230-235 with a 20-30 year old driver.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1734
    Likes (Received)
    2052

    Default

    Golf can be like a "sport" maybe,,but at my level "I suck",,I think all clubs suck
    That said,Driving is my strongest point,it is the funnest
    I am on my 3rd driver now "Cleveland Hi Bore" and what a difference,,,I love it,,,
    Machinist for 20 plus years now,no way would I even try to make a better club,,,need different and better methods than available to me,especially cost wise
    Grass growing is about as exciting as watching golf on TV
    But try the game yourself,it is an impossible game to perfect

  7. Likes NAST555 liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    709
    Likes (Received)
    3539

    Default

    I had to quit playing golf because of a bad back. In my opinion left handers don't belong on a golf course. Nothing is worse than thinking some hacker is playing the wrong fairway and hitting in your direction.

  9. Likes tmc_31 liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    90
    Likes (Received)
    378

    Default

    I worked in a golf shop from age 16 until I graduated college. I modified and fixed clubs, I also sold clubs.

    My advice is to spend money on lessons, not equipment. You have decent clubs, learn to use them.

    And spend at least 2 hours a week at the driving range.

    Your handicap ain't bad, better than 70% of golfers.

    May all your putts drop.
    CarlBoyd

  11. Likes steve-l, gmach10, Dupa3872 liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.E. Illinois
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    75
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    Appreciate all the info. As far as my lack of knowledge I did a shit load of research prior to making any changes. Shafts match my swing speed, grips sized to my hands, length determined by my height and wrist to floor measurement. Consulted guys who have built clubs before. Some people think the mechanics of club lengthening is a black art left only to those with magic powers. Extension tubes clean, scuff up the extensions and bores use the right epoxy done. Even checked the swing weight to make sure they were all close. I also have some back issues I'm trying to work through. I guess I need to get to the range more often. I'll tell the wife it was your guys idea not mine.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.E. Illinois
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    75
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I had to quit playing golf because of a bad back. In my opinion left handers don't belong on a golf course. Nothing is worse than thinking some hacker is playing the wrong fairway and hitting in your direction.
    Left handed people are the only ones in their right minds.

  14. Likes ratbldr427, NAST555, Mtndew, Trboatworks, awake liked this post
  15. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,689
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    533
    Likes (Received)
    2481

    Default

    Golf is a very difficult game in that you must be good not only at hitting the ball hard but also medium and softly. And accurately. Unlike a lot of sports, you can't be good at just one aspect of the game.

    That said, I dislike golf for reasons not related to the game itself. It's expensive, you have to vie for a tee time, and you're constantly having to put up with other people playing at the same time. They're too slow, or too fast, or too loud, or just dicks in general. Playing golf is like being in traffic that you had to pay $200 and wait two weeks to sit in.

  16. Likes gmach10, mjk, Trboatworks liked this post
  17. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1191
    Likes (Received)
    667

    Default

    So I suck at Golf... I truthfully do. Been playing for roughly 6 years now (Long story short I played soccer for years with mates and we wanted to find something else to do as a group and landed up with golf as they had all played before, I was the only newbie).

    You have decent clubs, I started off with hand me downs and played off of a 36 handicap for a long time. I am a tall guy and have never had my clubs extended, I really should do, but am ambidextrous so I play right handed, even thought I am left handed I also Batt right handed (for you Murica guys thats cricket) and bowl left handed . I am currently a 20 and CAN drive further than you do... that is not bragging but it is more of a hit and miss. Either it is dead straight and 220M or so far in the shit and 270M.

    I have snapped two driver shafts (regular flex) and settled on a stiff shaft driver. All of those were bought used. Irons were new, Cleveland regular flex CG16's. My damn bag cost me more than the clubs. I currently have a last generation Taylormade burner driver and that thing still hits skew... It is not the player, it's the bloody game of golf!

    If you play off of a 15 that's an awesome place to be. We win loads of games because we put someone like myself with a lower handicap (have friends that are scratch) and dovetail it. The way I see it the people that play golf for fun are either absolutely crazy... or machinists... or both.

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    474
    Likes (Received)
    1897

    Default

    Golf is a very easy game. Hit the ball, go find it, hit it again.

    I used to spend hours in the backyard chipping into a 5 gallon bucket.

    If you have a good short game, you don't need to hit 230 off the tee. I teed off with a 3 iron. I was better off hitting 190 in the fairway than 220 in the woods.

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4362
    Likes (Received)
    2884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmach10 View Post
    Been playing golf for about 10 years now. Not good just average, 15 handicap for the league I'm in. Being left handed finding clubs hasn't been that easy. I play second and hand me downs mostly. Oldest just got her Masters in Nursing so she'll pretty much be off the payroll second has two more years for a Civil Engineering degree. New clubs aren't an option. (Have you priced the damn things lately? $500.00 for a driver!) So here's my question for those that golf. My used Taylor made R7 driver which is a hollow large head driver doesn't seem to connect as I think it should. Yeah it's not the Arrow it's the Indian I get it. But does anyone know if these can wear out. Do the faces after so many strikes get like an oil can and get fatigued? My irons are an older set of Callaways X22's I believe. My playing partner commented to me that they looked short for me. I measured them and yes they were by about an inch. So I lengthened them to fit my height. (Clubs have a standard length from the 3 iron down they progressively get shorter by 1/2" per club.) I now have a set of irons you could probably set micrometers to. It's a machinist thing.
    I also have some older drivers that are solid head, these seem to me to be of a more sound design nothing can deflect. I suppose it wouldn't be good business to sell something that never wears out. I used to fish when I had free time and I thought those guys were suckers till golf came along. Has anyone every experimented with clubs? Drivers in particular? We can't talk about work all the time BTW. Any input or thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
    Only fools pay $500 for a new driver.
    Head to Dunham's,Carl's Golfland,Amazon or any other big sports store and look through their last year models or clearance models.
    My buddy golfs left handed and he gets deals on clubs that piss me off!

    The first set of irons I bought when I was 25-ish. And had them for 20 years until a couple of years ago when I saw a deal that was too good to pass up. I bought the Taylor Made Aero irons for $300.
    My driver is the R9 and I'll probably keep that for another 5 years.

    Your R7 is still a very good club.

  20. Likes gmach10 liked this post
  21. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.E. Illinois
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    75
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NAST555 View Post
    So I suck at Golf... I truthfully do. Been playing for roughly 6 years now (Long story short I played soccer for years with mates and we wanted to find something else to do as a group and landed up with golf as they had all played before, I was the only newbie).

    You have decent clubs, I started off with hand me downs and played off of a 36 handicap for a long time. I am a tall guy and have never had my clubs extended, I really should do, but am ambidextrous so I play right handed, even thought I am left handed I also Batt right handed (for you Murica guys thats cricket) and bowl left handed . I am currently a 20 and CAN drive further than you do... that is not bragging but it is more of a hit and miss. Either it is dead straight and 220M or so far in the shit and 270M.

    I have snapped two driver shafts (regular flex) and settled on a stiff shaft driver. All of those were bought used. Irons were new, Cleveland regular flex CG16's. My damn bag cost me more than the clubs. I currently have a last generation Taylormade burner driver and that thing still hits skew... It is not the player, it's the bloody game of golf!

    If you play off of a 15 that's an awesome place to be. We win loads of games because we put someone like myself with a lower handicap (have friends that are scratch) and dovetail it. The way I see it the people that play golf for fun are either absolutely crazy... or machinists... or both.
    I used to play with my Dad and his buddies. All were in their 80's at the time. They'd hit off the tee and maybe go 125 150 tops, I get up there swing for the cheap seats and I'm also 150 out only 2 fairways over. I play because it's one day a week for ME. If I get better great if not so be it. Right now my drives are usually 240 to 260 yards.

  22. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,689
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    533
    Likes (Received)
    2481

    Default

    I used to work with a guy, he was about 60. He was a naturally good golfer, had been his whole life. He had never taken lessons or spent any time of his own golfing or practicing. But, as a sales guy, he got invited to various events and company outings that involved golf. He routinely would shoot par, or a little under. Then he'd toss his Goodwill clubs in the car and not touch them again until the next outing.

  23. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Posts
    669
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    262
    Likes (Received)
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Golf is a very difficult game in that you must be good not only at hitting the ball hard but also medium and softly. And accurately. Unlike a lot of sports, you can't be good at just one aspect of the game.

    That said, I dislike golf for reasons not related to the game itself. It's expensive, you have to vie for a tee time, and you're constantly having to put up with other people playing at the same time. They're too slow, or too fast, or too loud, or just dicks in general. Playing golf is like being in traffic that you had to pay $200 and wait two weeks to sit in.
    Agreed, you ever consider disc golf? All the upside and virtually none of the down side mentioned. No green fees, tee times, waiting, or cost of equipment.

  24. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    12

    Default

    Yeah, you can cave in the face on a driver. About any driver made in the last 20 years has a thin enough face it can crack if you hit enough balls. I've had this happen twice. If you really like the R7 just get another on ebay, should be cheap enough.

    Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    18,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14454
    Likes (Received)
    14531

    Default

    I agree, the Golf was one of the best models Volkswagen ever made.

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4362
    Likes (Received)
    2884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmach10 View Post
    I used to play with my Dad and his buddies. All were in their 80's at the time. They'd hit off the tee and maybe go 125 150 tops, I get up there swing for the cheap seats and I'm also 150 out only 2 fairways over. I play because it's one day a week for ME. If I get better great if not so be it. Right now my drives are usually 240 to 260 yards.
    I'm almost 50, and I play against my Uncle once a year,he's pushing 85. he hits 150 dead straight. Shoots par.
    Meanwhile I'm driving 250-280 and shoot +10 lol.

  27. Likes gmach10 liked this post
  28. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Only fools pay $500 for a new driver.
    Head to Dunham's,Carl's Golfland,Amazon or any other big sports store and look through their last year models or clearance models.
    My buddy golfs left handed and he gets deals on clubs that piss me off!

    The first set of irons I bought when I was 25-ish. And had them for 20 years until a couple of years ago when I saw a deal that was too good to pass up. I bought the Taylor Made Aero irons for $300.
    My driver is the R9 and I'll probably keep that for another 5 years.

    Your R7 is still a very good club.
    I Play Ping eye II irons for the last 25years. To me those are some of the best clubs ever made. Pretty much ever club I ever bought except for my driver and putter were used clubs. It is amazing the discount you can find on used clubs. The Callaway irons(Big Bertha's ) I have cost me $35 and I got those at an estate sale.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •