O.T. Golf club question - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Golf is a very difficult game in that you must be good not only at hitting the ball hard but also medium and softly. And accurately. Unlike a lot of sports, you can't be good at just one aspect of the game.

That said, I dislike golf for reasons not related to the game itself. It's expensive, you have to vie for a tee time, and you're constantly having to put up with other people playing at the same time. They're too slow, or too fast, or too loud, or just dicks in general. Playing golf is like being in traffic that you had to pay $200 and wait two weeks to sit in.
    I could constantly hit straight 300 yard drives, back in the day even with a wood headed driver. I was very consistent with distance on all clubs as long as I could take a full swing. The problem was the wedge and the putter, no matter how much I practiced I was terrible. I could have moved from the championship tees to the ladies tees on a long course and not shot any better. Best I ever shot was a 77 on a par 74. Usually shot in the low 80's. As for the crowd issue. Go out a play a course in the low or high desert mid day in summertime. You can play at reduced rates and have the course to yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    I'm almost 50, and I play against my Uncle once a year,he's pushing 85. he hits 150 dead straight. Shoots par.
    Meanwhile I'm driving 250-280 and shoot +10 lol.
    No kidding, when I was in my early 20's I was beat by a guy who was 85. I played off the championship tees and he played off the ladies and my drives still went 100 yards passed his. That old geezer was deadly with a putter and a lob wedge. He would can putts at distances I would probably 3 putt from.

3. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    No kidding, when I was in my early 20's I was beat by a guy who was 85. I played off the championship tees and he played off the ladies and my drives still went 100 yards passed his. That old geezer was deadly with a putter and a lob wedge. He would can putts at distances I would probably 3 putt from.
    Yep, he's been playing golf longer than I've been alive. My goal is to beat him, but I doubt I ever will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm almost 50, and I play against my Uncle once a year,he's pushing 85. he hits 150 dead straight. Shoots par.
    Meanwhile I'm driving 250-280 and shoot +10 lol.
    Mtndew, I'm 58 and would do anything to go play golf, share a meal or watch a sunset with my Dad. Enjoy the time with your Uncle. Ask him a lot of questions about family. Not to sound like a downer but when he's gone so goes a lot of history. One of my Dad's friend's 96 still walks a mile a day and plays golf a couple of times a summer. If he goes this summer I'm definitely going.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, he's been playing golf longer than I've been alive. My goal is to beat him, but I doubt I ever will.
    PawPaw died 2 years ago, I never did beat him. He also took this lefty and made me play right handed. Dropped 8 shots in a year.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two golfers are ready to play on the 11th tee as a funeral cortege passes by. The first player stops, doffs his cap, and bows his head as the cortege passes.

“That was a really nice thing to do,” the second golfer says. “It’s good to see there is still some respect in the world.”

“Well, it’s only right,” the first golfer replies. “I was married to her for 35 years.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NAST555 View Post
    ... either absolutely crazy... or machinists... or both.
    I'm confused ... what's the difference?

9. Likes Limy Sami, gmach10, NAST555 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GMach10,
    Yes you can wear out a metal driver, the face does have only so many hits before it fatigues and cracks. Usually they are scuffed and worn and replaced before that happens. I have cracked two drivers.
    Irons on the other hand will last a lot longer but do show some wear in particular the grooves will get worn on the shorter irons and affect the amount of spin on the ball.
    I used to regularly re-groove my sand wedge and gap wedge and the difference was amazing. Short chips would just zip to a stop.
    I just used a carbide turning tool that I sharpened and then hand scraped the grooves. I would tape off the face and sandblast the groove area, looked great, like a new club and with the fresh grooves they worked very well. I had one of my wedges for over 30 years. Yes, I am old enough to have played with real wood woods, when you really did hit it on the screws!

Practice your putting and chipping and your cap will come down.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would love to hear how you re grooved your wedges. What shape was your turning tool,narrow finger that went in the groove or V shaped that scored the edges?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can buy a re-groove tool, have a look at those online.
    I used a V shaped tool so I would get nice crisp edges.
    I also lightly filed the face as my wedge was so old it was not flat anymore.
    Holding the club face while applying scraping force is the difficult part.

Practice on a junk club as it is easy to slip and deeply scratch the face.
    If the club is not too badly worn then only moderate force is needed to freshen up the grooves.
    The USGA has very specific tolerances for groove sizes, which I ignored. I play for fun not millions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gmach10 View Post
    I play second and hand me downs mostly... New clubs aren't an option. (Have you priced the damn things lately? $500.00 for a driver!)
    I ditched the woods and used my grandfather's 50s or 60s era McGregor blades for years. Didn't touch a wood for years. I figured that would force me to learn how to swing a club and it did. There's nothing quite like watching a group of hackers on #1 tee spray their drivers into the trees, then with another group of hackers looking on, striking an antique 3 iron 230 yds down the middle with a slight draw and nonchalantly walking to my cart thinking "damn if that dude over there with his jaw on the ground only knew how hard it was for me to learn to do that..."

Playing irons only and chronic fatigue during that period of my life hastened the end of my playing days. Now the idea of playing golf to me is just a good walk spoiled. Now I sniff the grass of some of the most prestigious venues in golf...as a mechanic.

14. Likes gmach10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Golf clubs don't need to 'wear out' any more than handbags or shoes. They're replaced well ahead of that time by the incessant need for something better
    It really is a marketers dream. You meet guys who spend 5000 every year thinking its going to be just the thing to propel them to a better game. I'm reminded of Estée Lauder's famous line, in the factories we make cosmetics, but what we sell is hope.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-29-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wonderin' if anybody knows why they call it 'golf'?

Because 'Aw, shit' was already taken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hofer View Post
    Just wonderin' if anybody knows why they call it 'golf'?

Because 'Aw, shit' was already taken.
    "Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden"