What's new
What's new

O/T: High speed a/c motor?

High Cycle motors can turn to 20,000rpms ....Before the spread of air tools ,many factories had high cycle power to run hand tools ......a 10 hp high cycle motor can fit in the palm of your hand.......You will ,of course ,need a high cycle generator ......these are often found in the base of routers(wood machine)

Looking for a single phase, ½ - 1 hp, 110v motor that will turn to 7K or so.

Only finding the usual 3150 rpm.

Any ideas?
Boy, did you come to the right place! I believe I still have a couple of motors from old Bear on-car spin balancers. They are strong, tough, small and turn your 7k RPM.

PM me with a telephone number where you can receive photos.

jack vines

There's been many hi-speed a.c. motors

universal brush type.

Rigid or other brand pipe threader uses them, geared down.

Skilsaw is another. Medium voltage breakers (11kv and up) use a skilsaw motor
to wind up a spring (a very beeg, beeg spring)

Boy, did you come to the right place! I believe I still have a couple of motors from old Bear on-car spin balancers. They are strong, tough, small and turn your 7k RPM.

PM me with a telephone number where you can receive photos.

jack vines

Inverter duty motor with appropriate bearings/balance and a VFD. You can get any ordinary 3450 rpm AC motor to turn 20,000 rpm with a VFD. May explode very violently if it cannot take that speed. The motor MUST be designed to run at that higher speed.

Ahhh. Universal motor - Wikipedia

Also loosely called an AC series motor.

Thanks boys and girls!

If you need any sort of "precision", START with warbird surplus @ 400 Hz AC.

Lots of VFD are 400 Hz capable.

400Hz AC Motors

Series, or AC/DC, can be hard to RPM-regulate w/o tacho or resolver feedback. They worship the God of Torque. Power control is good. RPM? Not so much. A GOOD DC drive can hold RPM rather well with that feedback, but the costs add-up.

AC motors are inherently phase / Hz animals in their own right, worship the God of Hz, WANT to "sync" with their feed Hz. RPM control can be cheaper without need of a tacho or resolver. See "sensorless vector" VFD mode.

That slow spin-up time and hand holding the motor adds to the uniqueness of what can work well. I wonder if the router can tolerate that for long and will a 1/4" shaft for the sheave not bend causing an unmanageable (unholdable) condition.

Something like this: 230v AC9060FC 6061 | Groschopp - fixed to a hinge mount (attached to your table) that is weighted to fold away when released. Use it with a VFD with an extended ramp-up time set to not overload the motor. I think I would replace the belt with two aluminum wheels - one with a heavy-duty O-ring (acting as a tire to add friction).

I'm sure you can find a better price for a similar motor with searching. Keep the shaft size at or above 9/16 for safety and ask to make sure the motor can run at your target speed like Scruffy mentioned in post ten.

That slow spin-up time and hand holding the motor adds to the uniqueness of what can work well. I wonder if the router can tolerate that for long and will a 1/4" shaft for the sheave not bend causing an unmanageable (unholdable) condition.

Something like this: 230v AC9060FC 6061 | Groschopp - fixed to a hinge mount (attached to your table) that is weighted to fold away when released. Use it with a VFD with an extended ramp-up time set to not overload the motor. I think I would replace the belt with two aluminum wheels - one with a heavy-duty O-ring (acting as a tire to add friction).

I'm sure you can find a better price for a similar motor with searching. Keep the shaft size at or above 9/16 for safety and ask to make sure the motor can run at your target speed like Scruffy mentioned in post ten.

Ya, thanks for that, but that motor is only 3250 rpm.

I was thinking to use it off the table as oriented like in the video but it'll be better mounted on the unit to one side of the wheel or the other. In that case it also turns in the right direction. I'll hinge mount it as you suggested so I can apply the load slowly, that wheel is near 30 lb.

I'll make a pulley to fit right on the main shaft so won't be using the wimpy 1/4" collet...

Ya, thanks for that, but that motor is only 3250 rpm.

I was thinking to use it off the table as oriented like in the video but it'll be better mounted on the unit to one side of the wheel or the other. In that case it also turns in the right direction. I'll hinge mount it as you suggested so I can apply the load slowly, that wheel is near 30 lb.

I'll make a pulley to fit right on the main shaft so won't be using the wimpy 1/4" collet...

Ermm... the best planned lays o' mice and men gang aft a gluey..

Shudda used an as-had high-speed motor AS the dyno flywheel and just let a high-speed idiot AKA "con puta", do the math to adjust to the mass of its a**?

That way, it spins itself up so as to not kill the mini-motor, then "becomes" the adjustable load and sensor for feedback and recordation all in one go.

Electric dyno, rather than inertial?

Heading that way, cost and complexity-wise .. whether it was "in the plan" or never..

Back