What's new
What's new

O T, I got out of the shop last night, went to Eldora Speedway

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a show! 410 cubic inch outlaw sprint cars, about 60 of them. 9 races on the night, 50,000 to win...no prisoners were taken. These things weigh 1400 lbs with the driver, a good one makes 1000hp. 13 second lap times. Very entertaining.

In one of Laurence Pomeroy's Grand Prix Car books, he says about the 750 kg class GP cars that ran just before WWII that such 600 hp cars weighing 1650 pounds will likely never be built again. Now we have cars weighing less and developing 67% more power running on dirt. Predicting the future is a dangerous game.

Bill

Sounds like fun,

I used to go to Ascot in Gardena, a coworkers cousin had a sprint car CRA not outlaw. They did run wings a few times. It has been 30+ years since I saw them, crazy fast lap times you mention.

Steve

Ascot was a great track, whenever we were out there racing Indy Cars or sports cars a mess of us would go to watch some real racing at Ascot. It's gone now though. Once the land is worth 100x the gate for some reason the owner always sells to the developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back