What's new
What's new

O T Making A $2,600,000 Watch

I would bet John Weldon could make that in a weekend only better. Just ask him. He probably knows what they did wrong.

Just a guess.

I would bet John Weldon could make that in a weekend only better. Just ask him. He probably knows what they did wrong.

Just a guess.

Some years ago John showed a photo of a ring he made. I was impressed. John is John, I think he has mellowed a bit recently.

I hope he sees the video and comments.

Paul

Looks like they were making roughly 10-20 million dollars worth at a time. That is to say 5-10 at once. do we call that mass production?
Bill D

Now...who among us can imagine walking down the street wearing that watch? It'd be like wearing a pimp outfit on your arm. An arm, too, that every other person would be willing to hack off of you to get the gold.

They left out the part where Clint Eastwood shoots you.

One time I was wandering around in a Hewlett Packard store room when I saw an ordinary looking blue suitcase with a Patek Phillippe clock on it. Naturally I wondered what needed such a clock until on closer examination I realized that it was an atomic clock. The Patek Phillippe was for rough setting.

Bill

Some years ago John showed a photo of a ring he made. I was impressed. John is John, I think he has mellowed a bit recently.

I hope he sees the video and comments.

Paul

Yeah, the watch has really nice craftsmanship, but I'm not a big fan of gold fancy ass shit for super rich folks. What kind of person pays 2.6 mil for a watch? Give me a break. Like some douche kid from Dubai?

I worked for OC Tanner for some time---not on par with that, but plenty of tiny parts. What surprises me about that video is how much actual handwork they are doing. At that scale we tried to automate everything possible, dumb ass humans like to scratch, drop, force, gouge, slip and whatever else. Very impressive video. Pretty bulky looking piece though.

R

A bit too Venetian/rococo for my taste, not to mention the fact that it's just obscene to spend that kind of money on a bloody watch. Perhaps China can duplicate it with appropriate mass mfg techniques for a final price of $795. If you call now.

Back