What's new
What's new

O.t. mystery tool/puller

Hodge

Stainless
Been studying this antique tool attempting to discern it's intended use, no luck so far. What say the collected knowledge here at pm.

All parts are cast iron. The lower bigger collar is about 2" in dia. By 5/16 thick. Easily held in your Palm.
Has Pat d Jan. 3 1903 or possibly 1893 hard to tell due to wear.

Pics to follow

Never seen one like that, but since it only has a finger-wing to tighten perhaps it was used to hold a cap of some kind on a tank or container?

I hadn't thought about that but it certainly could have been used in that manner. The larger round ring shows a good deal if wear where it was pushed up against something.

My guess would be some kind of flange puller.

Definitely a possiblity, given the Pat. Date it has my curiosity about what it was used for. Other than the dates nothing. The winged screw is unusual looking but probably common for that era.

Ancient circumcision tool for the punishment of honest politicians, never used at least that’s what I’d like to think
Mark

Definitely a possiblity, given the Pat. Date it has my curiosity about what it was used for. Other than the dates nothing. The winged screw is unusual looking but probably common for that era.

I believe in cases where it took extra force to get the pull started an adjustable wrench (a monkey wrench) was used for extra leverage. I have seen many older tools with those large wings.

That is intended to be a puller. The thing it was meant to pull was most likely round (could have been square or octagonal.) The area where the puller gripped the 'pullee' was not very thick. The part had a hole that went all the way through. My guess is for a gear or a sprocket.

-DU-

Might find a use for it in these enlightened times.....

Kalifornickyah in particular, but "not-only" .. DOES seem blessed with the most "honest" of politicans, ever.

They don't even TRY to conceal how they are flaunting authority, making horrible decisions, wasting money, and generally screwing the public - they post videos bragging of it!

That's refreshing, actually.

Pols used to try to HIDE this s**t ... back before free stupid pills became the most popular of "recreational drugs"!

:D

Back to the "mystery gadget".

I've seen one of these. Long time ago.

Nagging memory sez it was an affixing CLAMP for a particular purpose.

But it was not a "puller". Sort of a "pusher", rather.

May have been for securing a plug or stopper to a flange or coupling on a pipe or tube?

Usual dickslammer: "I could be wrong. I've been wrong before..."

Kalifornickyah in particular, but "not-only" .. DOES seem blessed with the most "honest" of politicans, ever.

They don't even TRY to conceal how they are flaunting authority, making horrible decisions, wasting money, and generally screwing the public - they post videos bragging of it!

That's refreshing, actually.

Pols used to try to HIDE this s**t ... back before free stupid pills became the most popular of "recreational drugs"!

:D

Back to the "mystery gadget".

I've seen one of these. Long time ago.

Nagging memory sez it was an affixing CLAMP for a particular purpose.

But it was not a "puller". Sort of a "pusher", rather.

May have been for securing a plug or stopper to a flange or coupling on a pipe or tube?

Usual dickslammer: "I could be wrong. I've been wrong before..."

Lol, your guess is as good as anything I could come up with. I try to figure out for myself just because I like solving puzzles, problems, but this one has thrown me a curve ball. I suspect it was for something that has disappeared over time. Was hoping a fellow member might have run across it working with antique machinery.
Hodge

Back