What's new
What's new

O.T. Security cameras.

I use a Samsung Smartcam. Works very well and I am very happy with it. It works on wifi so you do have to have a decent connection. I had to add a wifi extender to my system due to the crappy wifi signal from my Verizon router. Still the system was very cheap and works great.

In the past couple of years there were a couple of threads in the Shop Management Owner Issues section. I went hard wired with Hik Vision equipment. Apparently Hik make a large percentage of stuff that is out there, much of it rebranded with someone else's name on it.

In the past couple of years there were a couple of threads in the Shop Management Owner Issues section. I went hard wired with Hik Vision equipment. Apparently Hik make a large percentage of stuff that is out there, much of it rebranded with someone else's name on it.

I have a QSee system which is rebranded Hikvision. Works fine if a little odd sometimes. Since then I learned that HIK is 42% owned by the Chinese gov't and makes most of the surveillance equipment the chinese use to surveil their own citizens, the general rumor is that there are backdoors in all the exported equipment to allow them to gain access here.I don't know all of it, but I'm not buying any more Hikvision.

At one time, I would have said 'no way' would there be any sneaky stuff going on. Companies just want to sell their product. But after seeing the likes of Apple, Google, Microsoft, and just about every other software company....not to mention all the verified instances of Joe Biden's sneaky Chinese friends stealing information....I'd bet there is reason for concern.

Started with a Q-See system I got off FleeBay, when the NVR was bricked due to a backdoor hack I leaned on a buddy that runs a system for local city's port authority.

Basically all consumer grade cameras are made by Dahua and are rebranded Hikvision, Q-See etc. Dahua Technology USA Inc – Intelligent Solutions for a Safer World

Instead of the PVR's/NVR's sold in the packages get an old computer and run the free version of Milestone or Blue Iris. Get cameras that are hard wired POE, wireless are easily hacked apparently.

I use Axis security cameras. Very reliable with the best features on the market, but expensive. Axis offers a very nice software package called Axis Camera Station which can be used to collect recordings and do playback.

Started with a Q-See system I got off FleeBay, when the NVR was bricked due to a backdoor hack I leaned on a buddy that runs a system for local city's port authority.

Basically all consumer grade cameras are made by Dahua and are rebranded Hikvision, Q-See etc. Dahua Technology USA Inc – Intelligent Solutions for a Safer World

Instead of the PVR's/NVR's sold in the packages get an old computer and run the free version of Milestone or Blue Iris. Get cameras that are hard wired POE, wireless are easily hacked apparently.

Heard something about hard drives with blue or purple stripes on them that do not mind the constant rewriting.

I have the Ring system. Three spotlight cameras and the door bell camera. It has some glitches at times as the video goes across the internet to their server then across the internet to AT&T and then to my phone. Therefore there can be a slight delay if any node is running slow. I give their system a B-. Lots of advantages to having them store the video and I can see a live view, talk to and hear people, turn spot lights on and off from any where in the world. The night camera (when the spot light is off) is suprisingly good.

I tried a Reolink to watch my cabin and I had connection issues. Mind you I only get one bar on my phone there, so it's not a slam on Reolink. When I had a good connection it sent great pics. Now they have one with pan and tilt. I ended up with a Barn Owl 4G Rangecam which has two antennas. It wa better than the Reolink for connection, but still not good enough. Then I connected a cross-polarized omni antenna to it and now I have four bars and normal operation. I don't think the pics are quite as good as the Reolink though.

Given that pretty much every camera is coming from China, be aware that some of the default settings in setting up a network system default to "Let everyone look at your camera image". Or, "Let all the Chinese guys at the factory making these things have access to your images to amuse themselves".

Seriously though, read up on security holes and liabilities in setting up your system. It would be no good if the thieves cased the joint, looked up and saw the ChingFuang model 902 cameras you just installed, sniffed out your wifi id, and were able to turn the darn things off (or, to pump a still life of your building, blissfully ignored) while they were inside rifling the place.

Windows may be a a big liability, especially with the huge hole in Outlook for Web Access security breach. (If you run an Outlook for Web Access server, update security and then start searching for the solution to get rid of the malware that is almost certainly on your server:

30,000 organizations hacked due to hole in microsoft mail

I use Axis security cameras. Very reliable with the best features on the market, but expensive. Axis offers a very nice software package called Axis Camera Station which can be used to collect recordings and do playback.

We run over 500 axis cameras securely all over the USA and in a couple of other countries. You get what you pay for... they are superb, and we have never made a warranty claim. Oh, they come with 5 years. Set them up securely, real accounts, real passwords, DON'T run as root (default), and put them behind a firewall.... there are no backdoors - we watch. An no, not even in China do we run HK.

I use the Arlo 300 system. It works fine and can be set for sensitivity of motion and sound as well as determining what activated the camera i.e. animal, noise, vehicle, person, etc. The sensitivity can be set to the point a bird or insect can trigger a picture or recording. To that point I just reduced the sensitivity because I was getting upwards of 50 alerts on my phone, and 90% of them were birds, rabbits, cats, squirrels, or chipmunks. The cameras also have lights that make facial recognition at night easy. The system can also be set to record only preset hours, and sound a siren.

The batteries can be either charged in place or removed and put on a charger. Since they typically last about a year before needing to be recharged I just have extras and swap them out. That way there's no need to hardwire anything.

I scored 7 Axis dome cameras at a recycle shop with 35X zoom and the steerable gimbal mounts, they even have a slot for a memory card. I paid $20 for four and $10 for three of them, they had no power supplies but I found a suitable 60W power over Ethernet unit for $35 each. I had to polish the domes to get rid of scratches but that was about all they needed. They have a tiny button to reset the password to default and show up on the home network as a website with all the controls.

This thread's a week old, but wanted to ask if anyone knows of a camera which will film for at least 8 hrs of local storage (i.e. storage card in the camera) runs on a rechargeable battery pack, suitable for outdoor use, and is not motion activated?

A game cam would work, except all the ones I've seen are motion activated, or don't have enough storage to run continuously.

This thread's a week old, but wanted to ask if anyone knows of a camera which will film for at least 8 hrs of local storage (i.e. storage card in the camera) runs on a rechargeable battery pack, suitable for outdoor use, and is not motion activated?

A game cam would work, except all the ones I've seen are motion activated, or don't have enough storage to run continuously.

The Arlo system is supposedly capable of what you're asking. The 300 series can record continuously for any preset period of time. Data can be stored on a flash drive that plugs into the base station. It will accept flash drives from 16 gigs to 2 terabytes. I say supposedly because my 300 system has the settings and components to do it, but I've not tried it yet.

I scored 7 Axis dome cameras at a recycle shop with 35X zoom and the steerable gimbal mounts, they even have a slot for a memory card. I paid $20 for four and $10 for three of them, they had no power supplies but I found a suitable 60W power over Ethernet unit for $35 each. I had to polish the domes to get rid of scratches but that was about all they needed. They have a tiny button to reset the password to default and show up on the home network as a website with all the controls.

I'll give you $120 for just one of them! :)

Maybe a GoPro?

I use a Samsung Smartcam. Works very well and I am very happy with it. It works on wifi so you do have to have a decent connection. I had to add a wifi extender to my system due to the crappy wifi signal from my Verizon router. Still the system was very cheap and works great.

Wifi cams can easily be defeated with any signal blocker. Hard wired is the way to go.

Back