What's new
What's new

O.T. sleep problems

Bob F

Aluminum
As I get older I am having trouble with getting a good nights sleep and snoring (which my wife really loves)
In order to get help, my doctor suggested that I be tested at a sleep clinic. So I spent a night at my local hospitals sleep clinic a couple of days ago.
I dont have the full test results yet but I am supposed to stay over another night and do the sleep test again with a CPAP mask while I sleep.

If I have to sleep with one of these from now on, I think it will drive me crazy to sleep with a mask every night. Does anyone in our group use a CPAP mask? If so do you get used to sleeping with it? Does it really help ?

I don't know anything about the mask, but isn't there an operation that can be done to stop the snoring? Seems like the surgeon takes something out of the mouth or back of the throat to prevent snoring.

CPAP: Continuous Positive Airway Pressure

One way to treat people who have sleep apnea is a device. A CPAP device has a mask, tubes and a fan. It uses air pressure to push your tongue forward and open your throat. This allows air to pass through your throat. It reduces snoring and prevents apnea disturbances.

There are various types of CPAPs and some of the newer ones are claimed to be much more comfortable than others.

And Yes, it is worn while you sleep. It does take a while to get use to sleeping with this thing on your face but after you adapt you'll find yourself much more restful in the morning. And if it reduces your snoring, SWMBO will be happier, and perhaps even more friendly.

Good Luck

And... Listen to them docs and nurses, okay?

Stan Db

Bob,

I do wear a CPAP mask..I have been wearing one for about 4 years now..

I also had a huge problem of snoring, and more often than not my wife would kick me out of the room so she could sleep..

The mask is a really big deal for the first 2 to 3 weeks..what a pain in the ass..I remember taking off the mask in the middle of the night and chucking it against the wall in anger..I hated that stupid mask..

But after a few weeks, you get used to it and it really is no big deal..

I do not snore no more, and that makes the wife happy...

Before the mask, I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air..I literally would stop breathing..That scared me enough to go to the sleep doctor..No more problems now..

brent

An acquaintance has a CPAP machine and, as was said before, it takes some getting use to, but now he loves it. He has gotten to the point where he can't go to sleep without it. As he travels quite a bit, he carries it with him in his luggage.

The president of my company has this sleep disorder, and wears a mask and some type of air pump... He loves it and wishes he had gone in for help years ago.. he takes it everywhere.. even on motorcycle trips.

Bob, you may have what they call sleep apnea.
I have Diabetes, for which I am taking prescription for, and they say that sleep disorders are common, sleep apnea being cited as one "possible" side-effect of this condition and/or. Nightmares too.

You might have your doctor check to see if you have diabetes. Basically he will just draw blood or pin-prick the finger tip. but bloodwithdrawel is more likely.

Have any trouble driving? Sleeping at the wheel??

I had drivin trucks 10 hours straight, sit for 5 hours while co-driver drove his shift, and get 4 hours sleep and do it all over again.
I knew the hazards and could identify them.
Some people suffering from sleep apnea may fall asleep at the wheel. If I recall my research on the subject correctly.

All I can say is talk to your doctor.

Bob,
Here's something else to consider. My dentist fitted me with a special mouth piece made by Silent Nite. It is just two pieces of plastic that have been molded to your upper and lower teeth kind of like an athletic mouth guard. A plastic link is installed on each side, thus connecting the top and bottom pieces.

The dentist has tried several varieties and Silent Nite is the brand he's currently most happy with. It cost about $300. The most unpleasant part of the process is when they make a mold of your teeth. Imagine a couple nasty tasting metal plates filled with silly putty being pressed into your teeth while you sit and try not to taste or gag for five minutes.

To use, you just pop it in your mouth and bite down a bit so the pieces fit your teeth. The links keep you lower jaw from relaxing and closing off the airway while you sleep.

I've been using one for about 5 months now. SWMBO reports that my snoring is greatly reduced. Occasionally, if I have a cold or am really stuffed up for some reason, I will still snore, however.

Good luck,
John

Bob F:
Can't remember what they are called but the little nose adhesive that fit on the outside of the nose and keeps the holes in your nostrils more open. Might be a less expensive solution to try.

I personally have tried the little band that fits on the outside of the nose..didn't work for me..

I even tried that liquid spray that you spray down your throat before you go to bed..I think it was called "snore b gone" or something..This also didn't work...

the CPAP machine is the only thing that works for me, but everyone is different..

good luck, and remember that the CPAP machine is really not that bad once you get used to it..

brent

I have a friend who wears a mask and swears by it
saying it gives him more refreshing sleep, the mask
doesn't bother him but he could sleep through a
9.0 earthquake. He has sleep apnea but it is related
to being almost 200 pounds over weight, I thought
those masks only helped people that "forgot to breathe" in the middle of the night. My sleeping is
horrible also and I will have to address it soon, I
just can't fall asleep, keep us posted,........Bob

Thanks for the input. I am scheduled to revisit the doctor next Tuesday for a follow up consultation.I apparently had 120 episodes per hour during the test (not sure exactly what that means) and with a max time without breathing of 22 seconds. Waybe a weight loss program would help also. But i'm only about 25-30 pounds overweight for my body frame . I will learn more Tuesday

My Dad has to use a CPAP machine. Made a world of difference in his life. Less fatigue, more energy and mental focus.

Only problem he had was the tubes that run to the mask. He ended up making a fold away bar that hangs over the bed and keeps the tube from applying pressure to the mask.

I'll probably end up with one. I need the Breathe rite strips now.

We won't discuss losing weight :rolleyes:

Bob;

Lots of good info and advice already given here, but I'll throw in my $.02 worth.....I've been on CPAP for a year now and it has been a Godsend for me.....Went to the Dr. a couple of years ago because of constant fatigue and SWMBO's complaints and concern about my ragged and fitful breathing at night.....

They ran an EKG on me and even I could tell something was wrong.....I'm certainly no Dr., but I've seen many of my (pilot physicals) EKG charts taken over the years.....She asked "when did you have all these little heart attacks"?...
I say "huh, what heart attacks, I don't got no stinkin' heart attacks".....She then asked if I'd had any of a list of symptoms in the past, and yes, I had felt a tingling along my jaw line, and yes my chest felt a little soreness occasionly, which I'd attributed to splitting wood, working under a car, etc.....

Tests showed my heart was enlarged, pumping efficiency was way down (ejection fraction was only 15% instead of normal 55%-65%), heartbeat irregular and high blood pressure to top it all off.....

I did the two sleep studies which showed I had sleep apnea, big time.....Oxygen saturation is supposed to be~95%, and maybe go down to 90% during sleep.....Mine got down to 65%, putting a big strain on my heart.....My GP, cardiologist and pulminologist said I was fortunate not to have had a crippling or fatal heart attack.....

I was in denial for awhile and delayed going on CPAP thinking I could macho it out with more gym time and cardio exercise.....Of course that didn't work, so I thought I'd TRY CPAP.....The first couple of weeks were a PIA getting used to it, but now I wouldn't think of sleeping without it.....When I travel the machine goes with me.....

Almost 4 years ago I was replacing the plywood around my doughboy pool deck, and when I lifted a 4X8 piece of plywood I stepped forward and into the hole.....Landed HARD on my back/right side.....Checked for broken ribs and went to clean the wound.....What I didn't know was that I had paralyzed my right diaphram, probably by damaging the nerve, thereby starting the whole process.....I'm operating fine on one lung now, I just get winded a lot quicker.....Listen to the Docs.....

Jim

I found that the regular mask was too easy to dislodge and break the seal if you rolled over and pushed it against the pillow. I use the Breeze which comes over the top of your head and plugs into the nostrils. It can still be dislodged, but much less easily.

Having something to keep the hose up like Kent mentions would be a help. I have a pillow tucked between the mattress and the wall and run the hose up between the pillow and wall over the top of the pillow - the pillow top is about 5" higher than the mattress. That seems to make some improvement. You wouldn't need to raise the hose a lot, just keep it off the bed.

If you've got apnea, and it sounds likely, do get it treated and stick out the acclimation process with the CPAP. It is annoying to have to face the rest of your life knowing that you can't sleep unless you get hooked up, but at least you CAN sleep, which sure beats falling asleep when behind the wheel in rush hour traffic.

And you don't have to fit what most people presume is the typical profile of someone with apnea to have it. I'm 6', 190# (so no where near morbidly obese), and not a serious snorer. But they labeled mine as being mid-level on the scale, and it sure was disrupting my life (as well as threatening to end it by a traffic accident).

cheers,
Michael

All that has been said in this thread is true and well said. There was another thread approx a year ago on this, should be in the "old" general.
I've been wearing one a long time probably 10 years.
I do think I'm gonna take a look at some of the newer model masks myself. IIRC, I have a link in my favorites that I got during the prior thread on sleep apnea.
Dave

One would think that getting hooked on this site would put me in a deep sleep, but it only makes me dream (or have nightmares) about work.It would be really great to awaken and feel rested for once. :D

I'm 57 years old. I found myself waking up earlier and earlier to a point that I was checking my alarm clock an hour or two before it was time to get up. I have recently started riding a bicycle quite a bit. If I have any long distance errands to run, I do them on the way home from work. I purposley garage my car upon returning home and if I need to go anywhere I ride my bicycle. I average about forty miles a week. I have been being awakened by my alarm clock on a regular basis for the first time in years. John

Back