What's new
What's new

O.T. Surface Grinder Wheels on a Bench Grinder ???

Size matters. You need a 7" grinder or larger. Surface grinding wheels start at 7" diameter and have a 1 1/4" hole. With the proper bushing and collars they could be used within their RPM rating. Sometimes the paper blotters get lost. Never mount a wheel without blotters. Also ring the wheels before mounting. You have no idea how the Auctioneer's people handled the wheels. Some could be cracked.

I suspect most of the wheels will be for grinding steel, either hardened or not.

surface grinding wheels will typically be much softer than bench grinder wheels. it depends what you want to use them for. hss would be o.k.

For a light final finish grind perhaps. I sure wouldn't try using a soft wheel for heavy material removal. You'll end up in a cloud of grinding wheel dust, and it gets everywhere. And its a whole lot of no fun trying to grind a drill with a wheel that's too soft - they won't hold their shape across the face of the wheel... Makes it a little difficult to get straight, uniform cutting edges.

Bench grinder wheels are usually hard because they mostly get used for grinding soft mild steel. Grind HSS on those types of wheel and the wheel ends up worn smooth and burning the work.

Softer wheels are a good thing when sharpening drills or lathe tools, even if they do need dressing from time to time.

There's a pretty big distance between the hardest and softest wheels. What spec wheels are we talking about here?

The wheels I use for sharpening plane irons and chisels are white alum oxide, can't remember the grit or hardness, been on there for ages, and I'm not gonna take em off and look. Never removing much metal, just kissing them prior to going to the water stones.

Contrary to your natural reaction, you want a hard wheel for soft steel and a soft one for hard. The hard steel dulls the grit faster so you want the wheel to break down, exposing new grit sooner.

Bill

Also ring the wheels before mounting. You have no idea how the Auctioneer's people handled the wheels. Some could be cracked.

I remember when I moved to the building before this one, I plugged my K.O.Lee surface grinder in, and noticed that the wheel was down hard on the table. Odd, I thought, but no matter. I cranked her up to clear. Then (thankfully) stepped behind the grinder to check the electrical connections. Saw all was well (you can hear the impending doom, can't you?) and reached around to hit the start button. I don't think that wheel got two revolutions before it went in a huge *BOOM* and a cloud of white dust. Lesson learned with a little bit of a nervous laugh and a note to make sure I check the wheels every time thereafter.

I remember when I moved to the building before this one, I plugged my K.O.Lee surface grinder in, and noticed that the wheel was down hard on the table. Odd, I thought, but no matter. I cranked her up to clear. Then (thankfully) stepped behind the grinder to check the electrical connections. Saw all was well (you can hear the impending doom, can't you?) and reached around to hit the start button. I don't think that wheel got two revolutions before it went in a huge *BOOM* and a cloud of white dust. Lesson learned with a little bit of a nervous laugh and a note to make sure I check the wheels every time thereafter.

One time a biblical movie was playing on TV, depicting the David and Goliath episode. I counted the turns of David's sling and found that velocity of the stone was the same as a 7 inch grinder wheel's periphery at 3600 RPM. If a chunk of your wheel hits you in the forehead, you can expect the same result.

Ring test every wheel before you mount it. If you get a clunk instead of ding, break the wheel right then.

Bill

Wheels are mounted and working well, question though is it normal for

new wheels to have a slight amount of runout sideways, Ive dressed the OD.

Every new Norton wheel I’ve mounted and run on my surface grinder had sideways runout. If it matters for the job, easy to dress off.

Denis.

Last edited:
If using wheel mounts on only one grinder the spindle end and the wheel mount can have a lineup mark and then the wheel-mount face can be trued to zero face rin-out. I have mounted a carbide tool bit to perform this task. Honing the mount high place could do the same.

A .0002 mount face error may make a half thousandth wheel side-face error. Agree a half thow is not a huge amount...and the wheel side face run out does not bother the grinding at the wheel bottom.

It can be important for a wheel intended for making a precision slot that has to removed and replaced on the machine. For that amount, spindle and wheel line-up mark is good.

I have a REAL problem with this "ring" the wheels before installing them. My hearing falls off at about 1 KHz like a cliff. Any "ringing" is going to be way up in frequency. So all I can do is examine closely and stand way clear to start up the grinder.
...lewie...

Very careful handling of wheels is due for you. Examine wheel mount and wheel nuts for bugs, hang wheels on a wall-mounted wood post with it having a dust curtain. If you drop a wheel consider tossing it. Have a friend ring wheels and set them on pegs.

Lewie, there are frequency analyzer apps for smart phones, if you have one you could probably tap the wheel with the app on and see the result right on the screen.

I have a REAL problem with this "ring" the wheels before installing them. My hearing falls off at about 1 KHz like a cliff. Any "ringing" is going to be way up in frequency. So all I can do is examine closely and stand way clear to start up the grinder.
...lewie...

85 db notch loss, sharp as a Chebyschev on 6600 hz.. among other losses.

Just Cheat.

Most ANY "Pee Cee", laptop, handheld, "etc" has audio-spectrum record capability and goodies that can graph an audio waveform for you "visually".

And you need to DO it!

Some years ago, one of our PM members "lucked into" a pickup-truck load of used, but with lots of life left in them, SG wheels.

Due to circumstances, my own "buy" was misrouted to my overseas admin forwarder in Florida. Not in great shape when they got their. Far WORSE by the time re-shipped to Virginia.

When 2/3'rds of those not ALREADY broken in pieces enroute failed the ring test, the entire lot contributed aggregate to some concrete work I had in progress.

The simple "ring" test is useful, but not perfectly definitive of "stressed .. and now almost ready to fail" at the NEXT stressor wheels, after all.

So at least I never had one explode at me!

:D

Back