What's new
What's new

O.T. trade related places to see in Boston

millwrong

Aluminum
I'm heading to Boston in late August, and I'm wondering what are the "can't miss" trade related historic sites,or used tool places, or just amazing places to see. Anyone have a suggestion or two?

Oh I forgot, plus 1 on the 2 museums listed above. If you go to the museum of industry in Waltham make sure to stop at the "Tool Shed" a great used tool store down the street In Waltham. They have weird hours/days as the owner spends the other half of his time cleaning out widow's garages and basements (1-5pm) Wed thru Sat with Wed at 1pm being the best day to check out the new arrivals. They are hit or miss though depending on what you need but always well worth stopping in

Well having issues replying with the phone my first response got deleted. But if in Boston the weekend before labor day Google the waushakum live steamers. They have their big meet that weekend and is well worth the trip to see some spectacular works of craftsmanship

Thanks kindly folks! I have a mole at MIT who I'm hoping to give me a private tour. I'm quite looking forward to visit such an historical place!

If you and your mole want to do some tunnel and roof hacking, just be aware that the campus police are much less tolerant of that stuff then they were thirty years ago...

+10 on the Museum of Industry and the Tool Shed both about 30 minutes from downtown Boston (traffic depending.) The Tool Shed has an FB page: The Tool Shed - Waltham, Massachusetts - Local Business | Facebook

If they have not yet been mentioned:
The Boston Museum of Science: Home | Museum of Science, Boston
The USS Constitution (18th century sailing war ship): Home - USS Constitution Museum
The MIT Museum: MIT Museum | MIT Museum
The Harvard Museum of Natural History: Harvard Museum of Natural History (esp the glass flower exhibit.)

All the above are places I have been to and will go to them again. Hope you have a week there! ;)

-DU-

Back